Spell Power Coefficient at 19?

Jonjonho

Veteran
Anybody knows how this works?

I think low rank spells had much lower coefficients so they were getting less benefits from spell power.

Let's say you have a lvl 19 mage and you got +10 spell damage from Elixir of Firepower

When you cast rank 4 Fireball or rank 2 Fire Blast

How much increase in damage are we talking about here?

A spells benefits from +Damage, depending on 3 factors (assuming its the highest rank of the spell):
1: cast time
2: number of targets its designed for
3: additional effects
4: the level you first get the spell

what this actually means, is that a spell recieves damage depending on how long the casttime is, wether its an aoe or singletarget spell, if it has any snares/slowing effects, and finally the level.

1: the casttime modifyer for every spell ingame is calculated from a 3.5sec cast base, and can NOT be higher than 1 (i.e pyroblast does not recieve ~ twice the bonus from being a 6sec cast) and can NOT be lower than 0.428 (fireblast and scorch both recieves this same cast time penalty from spelldamage, even though scorch is 1,5sec cast and fireblast is instant).

2: if the spell is an aoe, it recieves 0.333 of the spelldamage as an additional multiplyer.

3: the additional effects modifys the spelldamage recieved by how much of the spell that is intended as damage, and how much is intended as the effect it adds (snare/root/stun). if the spell has a snare effect, it has an additional 0.950 modifyer.

4: the rank of the spell, or actually wich lvl you got the spell. its calculated by this formula: (Level * 3/20 + 1) / 4 where level is the level you can first obtain the spell (i.e. 1 for rank 1 fireball, 6 for rank 2 etc.) remember that casttime might differ on lower lvl spells, wich must ofcourse be taken in consideration! A guiding number is: rank 1 fireball with +200 fire damage gains a mere 24.6 bonus damage.

Hope that helps,

Rarebreed

A spells benefits from +Damage, depending on 3 factors (assuming its the highest rank of the spell):
1: cast time
2: number of targets its designed for
3: additional effects
4: the level you first get the spell

what this actually means, is that a spell recieves damage depending on how long the casttime is, wether its an aoe or singletarget spell, if it has any snares/slowing effects, and finally the level.

1: the casttime modifyer for every spell ingame is calculated from a 3.5sec cast base, and can NOT be higher than 1 (i.e pyroblast does not recieve ~ twice the bonus from being a 6sec cast) and can NOT be lower than 0.428 (fireblast and scorch both recieves this same cast time penalty from spelldamage, even though scorch is 1,5sec cast and fireblast is instant).

2: if the spell is an aoe, it recieves 0.333 of the spelldamage as an additional multiplyer.

3: the additional effects modifys the spelldamage recieved by how much of the spell that is intended as damage, and how much is intended as the effect it adds (snare/root/stun). if the spell has a snare effect, it has an additional 0.950 modifyer.

4: the rank of the spell, or actually wich lvl you got the spell. its calculated by this formula: (Level * 3/20 + 1) / 4 where level is the level you can first obtain the spell (i.e. 1 for rank 1 fireball, 6 for rank 2 etc.) remember that casttime might differ on lower lvl spells, wich must ofcourse be taken in consideration! A guiding number is: rank 1 fireball with +200 fire damage gains a mere 24.6 bonus damage.

Hope that helps,

Rarebreed

Ok but, I think I don't really fuly get it. Is this right then:

(18 * 3/20 + 1)/4 = 0.925

(Fireball rank 4 has 3 sec cast time - obtained at lvl 18)

So rank 4 fireball would get +92.5 damage if you had +100 spell power.... ?

Still trying to figure out if I should choose some fiery wrath greens over sta/int items....

You can see the spell coefficient on wowhead, it even does the downranking and sub-level 20 penalties for you.

Rank 5 Healing Wave (Learnt past 20)
8d76faeed6362a555b79c24271bccd8d.png

Rank 3 Healing Wave (Learnt before 20)
f27a4649ca6d0d07161faf15677415eb.png

Last edited:
Ok but, I think I don't really fuly get it. Is this right then:

(18 * 3/20 + 1)/4 = 0.925

(Fireball rank 4 has 3 sec cast time - obtained at lvl 18)

So rank 4 fireball would get +92.5 damage if you had +100 spell power.... ?

Still trying to figure out if I should choose some fiery wrath greens over sta/int items....

Yes buddy, correct

Users who are viewing this thread