Short Guide on Gearing

bigmoran

Legend
I wanna make this thread to briefly address something that has been bothering me lately. I have been haste enchanted long before the revival and I sometimes get asked why I go haste, what stats are best, how to gear, etc. People often do little to no research on character DPS optimization, something which I find deeply disturbing. If you want a rule of thumb as to what stats might benefit you, just check out any of the Stat Priority guides on popular PvE websites: Combat Rogue DPS Stat Priority (WoD 6.2) - Icy Veins

BUT, bear in mind that Crit/Multi strike is nerfed for PvE. Treat these guides with caution.

NOW, onto what is the most important thing you should take into consideration while gearing: for every spec it is best to maximize your primary stat (Agility/Intellect/Strength). The reason being is that the higher your primary stat, the more effective your secondary stats (Haste, Crit, Vers, Multistrike) become. This is why items like Gorestained Garb are often deceiving. People assume that the haste will be CRAZY and that they will be doing so much DPS, but they fail to realize that the item lacks in their primary stat. Once again, maximizing your primary stat is the best way to increase your DPS and become optimally geared. Sometimes making gear decisions can be quite difficult, but just make sure you aren't sacrificing Agility, Strength, Intellect, Spell Power, Attack Power for marginal increases in a secondary stat.

Seconded whole heartedly. It seems that with the amount of items in this bracket made in cata / MoP the amount of secondary stat choices available has increased a lot but as Moran has said, don't get swept away in the number of "stats" you're getting on the item. Intellect and to a lesser extent stamina comes first.

Best of luck to everyone starting to make 39s for the revival and those frantically farming their revelosh gloves in time for tomorrow. Also if anyone is looking for a high int build for a cloth caster then hit my armoury up as a good starting point. (Its in the rate a twink thread I have open)

See you all tomorrow.

Ellipsis...

while it varys wildly from class to class i can say at least the stat weightings are as follows for RDRUID

Reciving damage & self healing

1int = 2.0 to 2.4 haste = 2.3 to 2.5 vers = 4.1 crit = 5.7 multistrike

Healing others

1int = 2.0 to 2.4 haste = 3.0 to 3.1 vers = 4.1 crit = 5.7 multistrike

Why might you ask is it different for healing yourself and others . well u silly neaner head its cause vers also reduces damage taken. sooooooooo vers would be more beneficial on an arena setup where as in bgs where you can avoid more damage over all haste is better over all ( unless some combat rouge has a tail fetish and won't leave u alone , then put the vers back on )

Additional note if you are in a stun/scilence and can't heal vers still increases your effective healing received where as your haste does u no good.

P.S. i don't have my spreadsheet with me cause i forgot it at work ( so numbers aren't exactly accurate but the are ballpark and show the stat priority order correctly )

Haste is on a bell curve, not linear.
Been trying to tell the nay-Sayers this for what...? Nearly a year now...
This is exactly why I keep saying, don't just copy someone else's gear setup. Go make your own! Be a trendsetter! Not a lemming.

/cheers

It doesn't always work like this in PvP. Frost Mage role is Damage & CC. Haste makes you do both faster. But Mage damage also comes from Lance that is fished faster with Haste.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly why I keep saying, don't just copy someone else's gear setup. Go make your own! Be a trendsetter! Not a lemming.

/cheers
i always wanted a pet lemming

/cheers

yeah ill use this green 2.20 speed sword on my 20 rogue instead of shadowfang

woo im such a trendsetter

while it varys wildly from class to class i can say at least the stat weightings are as follows for RDRUID

Reciving damage & self healing

1int = 2.0 to 2.4 haste = 2.3 to 2.5 vers = 4.1 crit = 5.7 multistrike

Healing others

1int = 2.0 to 2.4 haste = 3.0 to 3.1 vers = 4.1 crit = 5.7 multistrike

Why might you ask is it different for healing yourself and others . well u silly neaner head its cause vers also reduces damage taken. sooooooooo vers would be more beneficial on an arena setup where as in bgs where you can avoid more damage over all haste is better over all ( unless some combat rouge has a tail fetish and won't leave u alone , then put the vers back on )

Additional note if you are in a stun/scilence and can't heal vers still increases your effective healing received where as your haste does u no good.

P.S. i don't have my spreadsheet with me cause i forgot it at work ( so numbers aren't exactly accurate but the are ballpark and show the stat priority order correctly )

can u explain how u arrived at those stat weights exactly

im almost 100% positive you made them up on the spot

well u silly neaner head

haste is on a bell curve, not linear.
Been trying to tell the nay-sayers this for what...? Nearly a year now...
This is exactly why i keep saying, don't just copy someone else's gear setup. Go make your own! Be a trendsetter! Not a lemming.

/cheers

[citation needed]

8NAn7WC.png

There the spreadsheet I talked about in OP. basically u take the average sp of a healer in the bracket and +10 it. Then adjust the secondary stat in question until the average multiplier is = to the +10 one then divide that by 10 for a 1 int = x secondary formatted ratio.

This sheet can be adjusted for any caster in the bracket (except fire mage , I have a custom one for them to address procs) . If you like I will put a Download link for the sheet.

as you can see

1 int = 1.113 to 2.245 haste
1 int = 2.37 to 5.711 Crit (only healing touch is 2.37 and next best is 4.04 for regowth so I would say benefit is closer to 4 to 5.711)
1 int = 5.568 Multistrike
1 int = 3.285 Versatility or 2.19 If self healing.

I'd say my OP memory was pretty close

Last edited by a moderator:
as you can see

1 int = 2.95 to 5.711 Crit (only healing touch is 2.95 and next best is 4.594 for regowth so I would say benefit is closer to 4.5 to 5.711)

Meet the Firebat of twinking.

XoGf1HQ.png

There the spreadsheet I talked about in OP. basically u take the average sp of a healer in the bracket and +10 it. Then adjust the secondary stat in question until the average multiplier is = to the +10 one then divide that by 10 for a 1 int = x secondary formatted ratio.

This sheet can be adjusted for any caster in the bracket (except fire mage , I have a custom one for them to address procs) . If you like I will put a Download link for the sheet.

as you can see

1 int = 2.95 to 5.711 Crit (only healing touch is 2.95 and next best is 4.594 for regowth so I would say benefit is closer to 4.5 to 5.711)

your spreadsheet is impossible to read cause you took a screenshot that was 70% white space

basically u take the average sp of a healer in the bracket and +10 it. Then adjust the secondary stat in question until the average multiplier is = to the +10 one then divide that by 10 for a 1 int = x secondary formatted ratio.

what exactly makes this a reliable method to determine stat weights at 39 when you are and aren't getting trained

your spreadsheet is impossible to read cause you took a screenshot that was 70% white space

what exactly makes this a reliable method to determine stat weights at 39 when you are and aren't getting trained

fixed the picture.

This is a accurate way to determine stat weights because you can effectively convert all stats into intellect that way u can compare the benefit of a piece that had 3 int 12 haste vs one that has 8 int 8 haste and see which is best. Take it or leave it .

Users who are viewing this thread