Shadowgrasp Totem Min. Level Testing Results [Final]

Ventorath

UPDATE: Finished Testing, have fun :)

Hello,

I know that Shadowgrasp Totem is just as broken as Ooze at level 20, but the only information I could find on it working at other levels was that "it doesn't work at 10" and "it only works at 20". I knew that wasn't quite right, as I know someone who uses it on a level 16 Druid, so I went ahead and rolled a new character and tested it at different levels to find the minimum level at which it functions. Here's what I found:

1. The level of the trinket itself matters. I leveled a level 10 Monk with a level 10 Shadowgrasp Totem to 16 and it did not ever start to function properly, even in Classic Dungeons. However, the minimum level for the item does not match the minimum level for the character needed for it to function. For example, I was able to get a level 12 Totem to work on my Level 14 Druid in Classic Dungeons (I did not test WoD with this setup). But a level 12 Totem with a level 12 Character did not function, even in Classic Dungeons.

2. The trinket first starts to work at Character Level 13. I can do the usual standard timeline setup and go into Classic dungeons at level 13 with a level 13 trinket, and it will hit for 3,773 non-crit and 7,546 crit. The boss I used for reference was Randolph Moloch, with 5,792 hp. Note that this hit harder than the level 14 Character with the level 12 Trinket I mentioned above, so getting an appropriate level of trinket to match your character will be important. Please be aware that a level 13 Character with a level 13 Trinket DOES NOT function in WoD Content. It works in Classic. I am not sure about TBC thru MoP.

3. The trinket first works in all levels of expected Twink Content at Character Level 14. In WoD, It dealt 780 damage per tick non-crit and 1,561 per tick crit. The boss I used for reference was Bonemaw, with 7,831 hp. I did not stop to test Classic Damage at this level, but I'd imagine it's some proportional amount at this stage. At Character Level 15 with a Level 15 Trinket, it hits for 1471 non-crit and 2942 crit. The boss I used for reference was Slave Watcher Crushto, with 13,346 hp.

Overall, using it at a mid-level like this is weaker than using it at 20. It seems to start at 10 ticks-to-kill WoD bosses and drop about 1 ttk per level if it doesn't crit (based on the change from 14-15). In Classic Content, it should still 1-2 shot depending on if it crits or not. IMO, still very worth the trinket slot, even if I wish it were a little more impressive in WoD.

TL;DR: Shadowgrasp Totem technically starts working [properly] at level 14.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread