Resto Shaman Thoughts?

JadeFire

Worthless
What are we feeling here?

I feel like the heals are subpar even when you are rocking 200+ intellect (world) and have Healing Surge even down to around 1.2 seconds. Rip and Unleash are also greatly overshadowed by other specs abilities. Mastery is attached conditionally to your heals making it not a priority. Resto's slows seem subpar as well, as Shadowlands has far to many melee gap closers that Resto did not have to deal with in BFA. Windsheer is also not as "special" as it was in BFA, since everybody has a kick/multiple options.

I feel like they are underrepresented/underperform (those two are obviously intertwined).

Some games can tolerate a "multi-task" healer that is doing damage/casting frost shock/backflips, but most just need straight up numbers... I feel like the Resto is just not there. Compared to Disco that can just do EVERYTHING, Resto just FEELS week.

I have always believed you can't have enough Haste on your heals. Resto lacks the *GOOD* instant heals that most other specs have so I feel like its even more important for them... so it just SEEMS like you are standing still casting Healing Surge as fast as you can.

BFA Resto was obviously broken in several ways, but in SL it feels real "Clunky-As-Fuck".

One of Resto's biggest assets appears Counter Strike totem and I have seen it murder people before, but since it also sometimes does not even work right/AT ALL it's a meh.

Thoughts/Fixes/Go kill myself?

Go 5k target dummy mode and you can’t die, your team wont get healed, but at least you will live.

That seems to be the "standard" build that I see in the Armory and in various games. "I have 30% verse and 5,500hp... my team died."

Lotta shamans and druids this xpac having trouble accepting the fact that they’re no longer big dog.

are you loyal to your class? Or outcomes?

not to say you can’t be successful, but it will require consistently more effort and will be harder to maintain performance, and in some cases like against a stacked premise with fotm classes, you will be shut down.

Lotta shamans and druids this xpac having trouble accepting the fact that they’re no longer big dog.

are you loyal to your class? Or outcomes?

not to say you can’t be successful, but it will require consistently more effort and will be harder to maintain performance, and in some cases like against a stacked premise with fotm classes, you will be shut down.

Do you feel like Resto got worse... or that the other healing classes/specs just got better?

It's ok. I'm trying to determine where the class limitations vs my skill limitations lie. And so far I think it's more about me. The toolkit is insane, it feels like it has a very high skillcap. Kick/stun is hard to deal with but better positioning is probably needed. The damage is pretty nuts. Movement, 2 slows, dispell, instant heals; there's nothing its really lacking. It's just not 2 schools of a magic or instant heal for days crazy like some of the other options. You are going to need to cast and that leaves opportunity to be silenced.
[doublepost=1616183272,1616182423][/doublepost]The endgame stuff has been pretty spot on for 20s this expansion
https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/restoration-shaman-pvp-guide

You are just missing a few things that make crit and haste less important at 60, like https://www.wowhead.com/spell=280614/flash-flood

I would haste to a 1.3 sec cast. If you can gain a ton of free crit from something take it. If I was going to meta gem I'd probably use the 12 crit one, that's 3%. But Circle of Flame is too strong. Your main focus should be vers and mastery.

I think my top healing so far is 167k.

Last edited:
From my experience, if a resto shaman slows (earthbind totem, frost shock) and interrupts (wind shear) in addition to healing, they are a lot more useful than if they just heal. In terms of helping on damage, maybe it was working better in BFA but in SL damage from resto seems completely negligible, if you can spend that gcd on a slow, I'd do that.

The heals seem strong, just don't get focused (the standard advice). Ghost wolf helps.

It's great to have a good resto shaman on your side.
[doublepost=1616571892,1616571587][/doublepost]
But you don’t die, so it looks great on the scoreboard.

Nobody looks at death counts. If you are playing to the scoreboard, the numbers you are interested in is damage / healing and then maaaaybe kills. Obviously, very high damage / healing mostly means that you were fighting a stalemate the entire bg, but whatever.

There are two main roles (beside healing) for the Resto Shaman:-
  • Interrupt on CD
  • Ghost Wolf to FC
If you're not interested in doing these or struggle to manage them (as I sometimes do) I prefer Holy Paladin for damage and healing. Its a much more aggressive style of play and your reliance on cast time is barely there unless you're being targeted by 3-4 players. Unleash Life and Riptide are not going to beat Holy Shock, Bestow Faith, Word of Glory, Stun, Bubble. Between those you have Judgment & Crusader Strike hitting hard or gaining you holy power.

That being said if you're queuing with a team that can offer you sufficient protection or in Wargames, Resto Shaman is really powerful as the damage becomes a lot more bursty with target-calling; so Mastery really comes in to its own - what else can beat 3k Healing Surge crits on every 5-10% HP target?

For me personally, if I am playing solo on my Resto Shaman I only use Lava Burst followed by instant Flame Shock for damage and spam Frost Shock and rarely risk LB getting kicked. Fake casting is more important than ever it seems as so many classes have interrupts. I think you have to be much more aware of "how am I getting out of this fight" on the BG for survivability with Shaman (can I glider out of here? etc.).

Can we go ahead and get all the other classes you are going to roll all in the same thread please? I feel like we got a new class by you every 5 days. Just lump sum them in this thread. Ty

Can we go ahead and get all the other classes you are going to roll all in the same thread please? I feel like we got a new class by you every 5 days. Just lump sum them in this thread. Ty

Yeah, but if we take away everything you don't like then you would have nothing to whine/post about... pretty sure you would actually lose your mind... so just look at it as I'm helping you out.

Yeah, but if we take away everything you don't like then you would have nothing to whine/post about... pretty sure you would actually lose your mind... so just look at it as I'm helping you out.

I guess you took that as me whining. No, it's not that it all. You see when you play a class and give it sometime ...you learn the answers to your own questions, thus saving yourself time and energy. The advice is already out there. I gotta feeling you wont take it. So with that note, I'll see you again in 5 days.

I guess you took that as me whining. No, it's not that it all. You see when you play a class and give it sometime ...you learn the answers to your own questions, thus saving yourself time and energy. The advice is already out there. I gotta feeling you wont take it. So with that note, I'll see you again in 5 days.

Sure you are correct if I just assume that all advice on here is completely worthless and should be ignored. I'd rather do research up front before I invest time... you can do it backwards if you want. Sure some of it is just posting random shit because I'm bored, but not all.

Users who are viewing this thread