Resistance Stacking Experimental Analysis: Is it viable at 70?

I'm out. Watching Onlydreams argueing is totally killing my brain. Have fun using frost resistance, maybe you'll get to the next level with it.

This topic is futile, you can't use resist gems and only stack crit gems at the same time.

And we all know that crit gems are the best!

This topic is futile, you can't use resist gems and only stack crit gems at the same time.

And we all know that crit gems are the best!
I actually noticed Elypsia trying 9 resist gems and still having more than 40% crit. That's not exactly low crit.

What the literal fuck is happening right now, did Drell delete his posts?
Just noticed this as well. Awkward because most of his posts were quoted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...I think the original intent of the thread (to demonstrate that resistance has some debatable viability in pvp) has more than been met.
I'll do more tests once I get more gear to see how high I can get effective resistance levels. If anyone else runs tests before mine (or recreates the experiment), I'd love to read about it here.

While gemming resistance would be more effective against mages in particular than gemming stamina, I personally think there's still enough risk in losing the benefits of stamina against any melee class or holy spell damage dealers to give pause to gemming my Death Knight with resistance for random arenas where the enemy comp is unknown. I'll keep a set on hand for testing, Icecrown Citadel runs, giggles and/or flag carrying in BGs without a paladin or druid, though.

Incidentally, resilience worked great for ICC when I tried it out this weekend. I was in a mixed group with 90s for fun, but entered the fray intentionally to bash against the bosses and see how long I could survive. Damage mitigation saved my tail more than once.

Incidentally, resilience worked great for ICC when I tried it out this weekend. I was in a mixed group with 90s for fun, but entered the fray intentionally to bash against the bosses and see how long I could survive. Damage mitigation saved my tail more than once.

Resilience doesn't work against PvE damage sources. :)

edit:I'm going to assume you meant resistance. My brain is a bit slow.

Well...I think the original intent of the thread (to demonstrate that resistance has some debatable viability in pvp) has more than been met.
I'll do more tests once I get more gear to see how high I can get effective resistance levels. If anyone else runs tests before mine (or recreates the experiment), I'd love to read about it here.

While gemming resistance would be more effective against mages in particular than gemming stamina, I personally think there's still enough risk in losing the benefits of stamina against any melee class or holy spell damage dealers to give pause to gemming my Death Knight with resistance for random arenas where the enemy comp is unknown. I'll keep a set on hand for testing, Icecrown Citadel runs, giggles and/or flag carrying in BGs without a paladin or druid, though.

Regarding arena, afaik you can change gearset in the preparation area, and since MoP you can see which composition you're facing before the doors open, so there's plenty time to swap gear (assuming you kept a gearset for this purpose). Again, whether you use the gems or the gear depends how you gem and prioritise survivability, as often the resistance items offer more survival, but at the cost of damage, but if you gem for non-stamina stats the net result is similar.

Regarding PvE, if you're in ICC and needing to survive heal-less against a boss -> resistance gear. Those of us in legacy have used resistance gear in icc to great effect, though not against any of the nature/shadow resist bosses (this includes halion). I'd imagine if you're less likely to receive heals (for example if you're being boosted), it's probably an idea to roll max survival (probably a tank spec too).

Reducing the largest source of incoming damage is always a plus in any scenario, imo.

Addendum with new tests posted:
I managed to scrounge up two more void spheres and some boots to slot them in, plus the Band of Many prisms. This bumped my resist all rating to 62% for the highest tests.

Summary:
No change from 32 resistance rating to 48 resistance rating . At 52 resistance rating, 11-42% damage was mitigated. No change from 52 resistance rating to 62 resistance rating, but 52 resistance rating did increase maximum mitigation from 32% to 42%. Lowest mitigation did NOT increase (stayed at 11% damage mitigated - the same level demonstrated at resistance ratings as low as 32), and the percent of attacks completely resisted showed no change from 32 to 62 resistance ratings.

In short, gains were demonstrable at 52 resistance rating over 32 resistance rating, but were not nearly as significant as the jump from 28 to 32 resistance.

I've added the data from the three follow-up tests to the original post.

Addendum with new tests posted:
I managed to scrounge up two more void spheres and some boots to slot them in, plus the Band of Many prisms. This bumped my resist all rating to 62% for the highest tests.

Summary:
No change from 32 resistance rating to 48 resistance rating . At 52 resistance rating, 11-42% damage was mitigated. No change from 52 resistance rating to 62 resistance rating, but 52 resistance rating did increase maximum mitigation from 32% to 42%. Lowest mitigation did NOT increase (stayed at 11% damage mitigated - the same level demonstrated at resistance ratings as low as 32), and the percent of attacks completely resisted showed no change from 32 to 62 resistance ratings.

In short, gains were demonstrable at 52 resistance rating over 32 resistance rating, but were not nearly as significant as the jump from 28 to 32 resistance.

I've added the data from the three follow-up tests to the original post.

I've tested resistance with a friend a couple of days ago, and it's basically this:

-no matter how much resistance you get, minimum resist will be 10%
-the more resistance you get, the lower your chances of getting a 10% resist, and the higher your chances for getting 20% or higher.

breakpoints are between 28-32, 51-55. I think there is another breakpoint we could reach (80+), but I haven't tested this yet.

32 gives 10-30%, with high chances of only getting 10%. 30% almost never happens, 100% resists happen rarely.

55 gives 10-40%, with high chances of getting 20%. 10% happens decently often, 30% sometimes. 40% is rare but it happens. 100% resists are more common.

I will test 87 resistance (20 gems + shoulder enchant) once I get the additional pieces to gem them in. I'm expecting 10-50% resistance with 30% being the most often. Expecting a rise in 100% resists as well.

In Cata frost resistance stacking on dwarf with LW frost resistance enchant on wrist was fun.

Why would it scale? Also that's a really bad ring because there's no offensive stats or anything. You'd also lose +40 stamina for +10 all which isn't really worth it.

currently near any item a 70 wears in a regular BG scales up, in arenas and RBGs of course it won't

as for stats, it appears tank specs will gain 1 to 1 attack power from items that give +bonus armor in WOD. this ring will grant some serious AP if this change goes thru testing and live

I'm fairly certain that you're thinking of Gems and Enchants here. Gear doesn't magically improve as far as I know?

if you only arena or do rated BGs at 70, 80, 85....you would not notice

as for +scaling (magical improve) there has much discussion and threads on this since it was implemented over 1 year ago. also in WOW forums, especially when it comes to MOP blues in 80-84 and 85-89

attached is a SS showing what scaling was on a DK at 70 and it shows hoes it diminishes at 71, 72, 73, at 74 btw, there is no +scaling. somes items when in a BG, may not show +scaling on a player like rings and trinkets at times, by placing them in your bags generally the numbers will jump and you can see the actual +scaling

in a BG a 70 due to flawed and rather excessive upscaling is actually at a player level 75-76 in gearing

Attachments

• 70 and 71.JPG
    70 and 71.JPG
    300 KB · Views: 183

Users who are viewing this thread