Resil or Agility Hunter?

So I've seen the tons of BiS hunter threads and peoples discussions about hunters, but it seems to be almost split down the middle on how to gear a hunter. From my research, I've concluded that there are many PvE peices that are superior to PvP pecies because of their gem slots alone. Those obvious choices aside, is there value in being a fully resilience geared hunter? Can a fully geared agility hunter withstand enough damage to allow them to be viable? Would a 50/50 split make you useless all together? I don't want to just hear the cookie cutter responses, i would really appreciate if people would elaborate why they believe the way that they do. Thanks!

*ALSO, is there value in picking up the gem slot bonuses? Should they be ignored?

don't see the point stacking resil , hunters are squishy as they are allready so why not stack the best dmg

pingaslol said:
don't see the point stacking resil , hunters are squishy as they are allready so why not stack the best dmg

If I'm correct on this stacking resil could get me over 55% damage reduction. The question then would be is my damage high enough without agility to be able to have all of that resilience?

Imo try to balance. Go for allot of agi/res gems, get quite a few socket bonuses, if you find you can't kill anything, adjust.

Papertowels said:
If I'm correct on this stacking resil could get me over 55% damage reduction. The question then would be is my damage high enough without agility to be able to have all of that resilience?

You are very unlikely to be able to get 55% damage reduction now. Don`t use the armory or chardev to workout your resilience at high ratings, they are ridiculously way off.

My 70 resto druid has 816 res and it gives 47.95% damage reduction ingame. When I flask I have 866 res which is 49.99% so 867 resilience is 50% damage mitigation now. If you were to get 55% it would likely be WELL over 1000 res.

For Bg`s I just suggest you just use full PvE gear with the resilience PvP trinket. I used to use full PvE gear a lot on my hunter at 80 and it works surprisingly well. It is one of the few classes that can work it, if you are good with your defensive CD`s.

Regards.

lets say you do manage to get 50% resil as a hunter. then what? do you just plan to kite ad infintium...cuz youd really lose your offensive threat. i think itd be a lot better to either go full bore offensively via agi, or find a balance. the quicker you kill the less you need to rely on defensive cds/surviving some burst before escaping

chardev 8 - WoW Cataclysm

This is the setup I'm shooting for. I'm a few pieces away atm and are leveling my JC. 177 res is pretty low so if you wanted you could add 54 by using the two pvp honor trinkets. Engineering trinkets would obviously be preferred but I am going to hold off on that for now especially b/c of how random the enchants you get are. Arena imo is out of the question with this setup but in bg's it is an offensive powerhouse.

BC socket bonuses are a joke, esp compared to the amount of stats on the gems available to you. if you need a gem to meet your meta requirement, go ahead and grab one you like, but for the most part you are either going to be getting the bonuses on accident or ignoring them all together.

Fizzfizz said:
BC socket bonuses are a joke.
this is absolutely true. Dont even gem for socket bonuses. Hunters are usually Explosive even if youd stack resilience. Usually i say stack Agility, but with ghostcrawlers hacks for hunter dmg stack up some Resi and aim for maybe 1800-2.1k ranged AP to be safe. Until hunters get nerfed, they are one of the classes that can stack defensive stats and still do decent damage. Cant say how many times ive been 2 shot by a hunter with 16k hp (1 or 2 buffs) and full brutal gear on my shaman (i had maybe 230 resi).

The fact that GC calls this game balanced as it ever will be is just stupid. Cant say how many times ive considered quitting the 70 bracket cause of imbalances knowing that they wont get fixed.

Kutotems said:
this is absolutely true. Dont even gem for socket bonuses. Hunters are usually Explosive even if youd stack resilience. Usually i say stack Agility, but with ghostcrawlers hacks for hunter dmg stack up some Resi and aim for maybe 1800-2.1k ranged AP to be safe. Until hunters get nerfed, they are one of the classes that can stack defensive stats and still do decent damage. Cant say how many times ive been 2 shot by a hunter with 16k hp (1 or 2 buffs) and full brutal gear on my shaman (i had maybe 230 resi).

The fact that GC calls this game balanced as it ever will be is just stupid. Cant say how many times ive considered quitting the 70 bracket cause of imbalances knowing that they wont get fixed.

Ghostcrawlers hacks for hunter damage? Could you please tell me what this is or where to find out about it?

he just means they were buffed and are "op" - tho i wouldnt call them op cuz they do some nice damage if left alone, but they can be put down quite easily imo

also yes, BC bonuses are bad, but if you want to stack a 2ndary stat using mixed color gems (like agi/resi) you might as well try n match any applicable sockets first for a tiny bonus - a small bonus is better than no bonus

would go 10agi / 10 resi

but hunters squishy if u cant play u can dodge or prevent anything you will prolly be dead anyway

so that's my opinion

humm i just gemmed full 10gil 10 resil got me to about 35% reduction while having roughly 3k ranged ap (in bm) / 39% crit but thats full pvp gear have not got around to collect alot of the pve pices yet.

But that worked decently for me fair amount of survivability and you can always glyph into raptor strike if you need more.

Lack of deterrence rly sucks now tho atleast for mm i found bm to be a more comfortable spec for bgs or arena. Might want to get a tenacy pet for arena tho as masters call is 74, bullheaded becomes much more usefull for us then.

Falkor said:
he just means they were buffed and are "op"

also yes, BC bonuses are bad, but if you want to stack a 2ndary stat using mixed color gems (like agi/resi) you might as well try n match any applicable sockets first for a tiny bonus - a small bonus is better than no bonus

I meant that they are more OP and seem to be the flavor of the month for most brackets all the time. In a sense i was more or less revolting on the fact that i decided to go into a 19 xp bg on a shaman and there were 3 MM hunters on horde side, need i say more? Hunters are relatively squishy but have the damage to stack stam and destroy. COme to think of it on my shaman if i catch a hunter before the 2 second 13k burst he gets on me, i wreck him (i usually play under 200 resi; i know kinda foolish but i go for a massive dmg role in pvp), and yeah. Dont gem toward BC socket bonuses.

at 19 hunters have been op for a while now have they not? 19s in general seem imbalanced and boring anyways (what with the 3 attacks and all)

at 70 they were just recently buffed which left them a bit op, but not in the sense of like a mage cuz while hunters can do sick damage when left alone, under pressure they tend to fold

Thank you everbody for the help! I've come up with a Chardev which i think would be BiS for a hunter other than trinkets and rings which im pretty unsure about. Please let me know if you'd make any changes to it. I ended up finding which gear was all around best and trying to gem just about 75/25 in favor of Agility. This will ensure that I don't get killed in one stun by rogues, but i can continue to have the explosive damage of a hunter.

http://chardev.org/?profile=146299

Edit: Is the epic Insignia still available?

Heres a second Chardev with the alternative set to the first... this one is geared mostly resil. Which would prove to be more effective? It looks like the comparison will come down to 800 AP vs around 300 Resil

chardev 8 - WoW Cataclysm

mhm would also advice to play with something alike a priest disc will help alot the shield that is xD and fear MC

yea because double dps as hunter is rlly ( in my eyes ) not the good vs rogue teamz :p so for mage /priest ish and what will you go with hunter / rogue ? might work with good rogue but yea hf finding one that wants too :p xD xD

yea idd just cuz of the bubble , might still work if you time the silences and CC ofc ( with Spriest)

Users who are viewing this thread