Recording 19 stuff with Fraps

Apnea

Legend
I just got ahold of Fraps today, and was looking for some help on getting everything working correctly. Recording works just fine, I figured all that out easily. But I'm having issues with playback. Whenever I play back the raw videos I've recorded, they're terrible and they skip and are really choppy.

Is this a computer hardware problem, or settings in Fraps that I don't have working correctly? Or is it just due to the files being so huge, that playback of raw video is always sketchy?

I set my fraps video capture settings to 29.97 fps. I also record w/o sound, as it decreases the size of the file substantially

Ok it seems that alot of people are having trouble recording games and putting them in HD. For anyone who needs help pm on TI, or contact me in-game (real-id)domdvd10@gmail.com(don't expect a response straight away).

For your issue Apnea. You want to be recording in 29.70 fps-Under movies tab. There's no point recording higher as youtube will compress it to 30fps anyway. If this is not working/or not the problem, Make sure your graphics are turned down 1 level from what you usually play(unless you have a good com). e.g Good=>Fair. Other thing you can do is what Beau just linked^ If it's still buggy, your computer may not be able to handle it. Hope this helps=).

Also- edit: Make sure you don't have anything open other than fraps and WoW while recording.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok it seems that alot of people are having trouble recording games and putting them in HD. For anyone who needs help pm on TI, or contact me in-game (real-id)domdvd10@gmail.com(don't expect a response straight away).

For your issue Apnea. You want to be recording in 29.70 fps-Under movies tab. There's no point recording higher as youtube will compress it to 30fps anyway. If this is not working/or not the problem, Make sure your graphics are turned down 1 level from what you usually play(unless you have a good com). e.g Good=>Fair. Other thing you can do is what Beau just linked^ If it's still buggy, your computer may not be able to handle it. Hope this helps=).

Also- edit: Make sure you don't have anything open other than fraps and WoW while recording.

That's what I'm trying to figure out though. My computer can handle it and is more than capable of recording. Doesn't even lag while recording, it just gets super nasty when I watch what I recorded in VLC player. It skips and just looks like crap. I'll try what you said Agonist, see if that helps.

It's probably because you have WoW running in the background while trying to play back the video. Close out everything and then try to watch the videos, it should be okay then.

It's probably because you have WoW running in the background while trying to play back the video. Close out everything and then try to watch the videos, it should be okay then.

I think it was actually just VLC not being able to handle playing it for some reason. Which is weird because VLC will play anything you throw into it. I ended up recording like 5 minutes of a battleground on my 85 and played the clip back through WMP and 2 other media players, and they played back fine. Which is even more weird because WMP usually sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread