Rate my 85 Hunter.

Regarding the leather helm & gloves, it might give more static stats, but what most people forget about is the crazy amount of agility from buffs and procs we get, especially for those of us who are using engineering and alchemy.
5% agi loss from all the procs on top of the 5% loss from the 8-9k base agi most have makes using the leather gear not worth it imo. I'd use cata helm & gloves or ds hc tier instead.

Its not just a matter of looking at what gives a bit more static agi (do the math, you'll find that its actually not that huge a difference) but also about how to maximise your burst and utilize your procs to the highest advantage.

[MENTION=14273]Aerandielle[/MENTION]: What I will probably do is go the 2 leather pieces for PvP b/c i don't really have focus issues and then for longer PvE fights ill just go 2 pc H DS gear.
[MENTION=19718]Roxette[/MENTION] : Have you tested mastery over crit and haste? I have been using a priority of Crit>Haste>Mastery. Also about glyph I change them out from when I try and solo things when I'm bored and PvP. Finally The 5 pets I have on me at the moment are Ashtail (for pvp), Ghostcrawler, Acroniss, Glimmer (for waterwalking), and Chromaggnus.

I don't really understand the full mail argument. You're still getting procs with the leather, so you should use leather helm and gloves for the stats. Right?

Leather: 8,968 agi, 29.2 %mastery, 52.5%crit, 21.75%haste
Mail: 8,877agi, 25.1%mastery, 52.1%crit, 21.98%haste

When I wear mail I lose: 81 agi, 4.1% mastery, .4% crit, gain .23% haste, and my cobra shot generates 14 more focus. Only reason I would wear it for PvE is because I'm lazy and I like not having to cobra shot as often. May not be best decision, but it lets me mindlessly DPS easier. :)

I don't really understand the full mail argument. You're still getting procs with the leather, so you should use leather helm and gloves for the stats. Right?

You lose 5% mail agility bonus if you use leather, so if you are looking at optimizing burst from on-use items (trinket & synapse) stacked with procs (alch trinket, scope) you have to consider the 5% agility lost from those as well, instead of just looking at the static agility increase from comparing leather MoP head & gloves to DS hc tier.

This is something most people tend to overlook, and when you track the uptime of procs in pvp you'll see that the average is much higher then pve, because pvp is all about short bursts of damage instead of continued dps, with time inbetween running around, so most of the cooldown time is when you are not engaged anyways.

Leather: 8,968 agi, 29.2 %mastery, 52.5%crit, 21.75%haste
Mail: 8,877agi, 25.1%mastery, 52.1%crit, 21.98%haste

When I wear mail I lose: 81 agi, 4.1% mastery, .4% crit, gain .23% haste, and my cobra shot generates 14 more focus. Only reason I would wear it for PvE is because I'm lazy and I like not having to cobra shot as often. May not be best decision, but it lets me mindlessly DPS easier. :)

What you forget about is this:
Base agility (in my case) 8571, 5% lost from that is around 408 agi.

On top of that:
Synapse Springs on gloves: 1920 agi
Scope of Doom: 1800 agi
Gerp's Perfect Arrow: 3480 agi
Alchemist's Stone: 4681 agi

So 11.881 agility from procs, so you lose an extra 594 agility when you most need it in pvp. Alltogether thats a lot of agility lost, plus the extra focus.

And thats even without the possible 1320, 500 or 80 agility from flasks.

Maybe in 5.4 when procs and enchants will be scaled to character level it will be different, but for now i will definitely keep running with full mail gear over MoP leather.

This is my hunter btw, Aerandialle @ Turalyon - Community - World of Warcraft

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread