question: what do all ya'll think about cross-faction option?

would you still be faction only or some combination of the two?

• Total voters
Ivo is right, it's too much of an inconvenience and a downside to be alliance or to switch back to after the change.
1. You have to pay faction and in most cases realm change back to your old home server, nobody will throw away money for no benefits
2. Even if you do the swap the vast majority will not because everyone is already "here" and its comfortable, nobody will choose uncertainty
3. Cross realm lfg is not everything, guilds are not a part of this change and everyone competent will want to play with a set group that practices together
4. Even if they allow cross faction guilds at some point the damage is already done and its too little too late

This will benefit the small minority of arena players that are still alliance and pve casuals that don't mind playing without a proper guild. Even if they allow everything at some point conformity will play a major role and the vast majority will already get used to the community and the new home to make a difference

I wasn't implying that. As with every fantasy game/movie/book etc. the story is an ass pull. I don't expect it to be based on actual events but still, gameplay updates have to respect the lore or it all becomes a mess.

Just re-write the battleground factions as private corps , problem solved
Not that there is much re-writing to do to begin with

I wasn't implying that. As with every fantasy game/movie/book etc. the story is an ass pull. I don't expect it to be based on actual events but still, gameplay updates have to respect the lore or it all becomes a mess.
im aware
i am merely ridiculing the people idiots retards using it as a strawman against this :PeepoGlad:.

:sela:

Meh, I’d think I’ll bump the thread until the patch with it comes out to the ptr.

kind of interested to see how big the pie chart would look like til then.

Arena should have been xfaction from the start just based on the lore of what arena even is, everything else pvp related could stay faction vs faction though. As for dungeons it could be said that you are mercenaries just out for gold/loot anyway so why not allow xfaction play there? its not like we are forced into it either since you have to go out of your way to make a group. I think this is a perfectly fine solution to the issues at max lvl.

I always like to remember the old threads back in 2006 on the ArsTechnica forums where diehard Classic players were already promising to quit the game because the devs “betrayed the spirit of the game” by releasing a new raid tier, and thus making raiding—and not questing/grinding out in the open world—the only way to progress any further.

I remember doomsaying posts about how locking end-game progression/story behind instances would spell the end of what made WoW “special” and “magical” and “worth playing.”

I revisted those posts a few years ago to get some much needed perspective and it really messed with my mind. Like, lol, raid content was really seen at one point (by a small vocal minority) as anti-WoW.

This was very early on though. I presume everyone who hated what WoW became at the end of Classic, so focused on raiding, left and never came back, so we'll never get to hear those people complain ever again.

Remembering old controversies like those help me touch grass whenever the game goes through another design philosophy change :)

I revisted those posts a few years ago to get some much needed perspective and it really messed with my mind. Like, lol, raid content was really seen at one point (by a small vocal minority) as anti-WoW.

Naxx was a mistake with insane power jump, invalidating all gear and progress made along with all the content in the game with TBC release was another, flying mounts are a failure that can be talked about so much.
The game turned out to be a lobby queue with borrowed power grinds with profit measured by "engagement" and shop/token milking strategy that allow whales with deep pocket to P2W and invalidate real progression and effort.

The game should have built up on previous content instead of making 90% of the game irrelevant.
Leveling and the community were the game, things acquired along the way had value. They had every right to complain

I enjoyed many things along the years and played from the start but the game as it is now is a shadow of what it could have been

I honestly dont even know why they bother with leveling anymore. Other than to force a time sink at the beginning of an xpac to buy time for X.0.5 development, I guess.

They'd probably respond with something along the lines of: “Every time we've group-tested removing leveling from an expansion, the reaction is negative, with complaints about how we're ‘removing an integral aspect of exploring the new zones and gaining player power’.”

And honestly? I can see a lot of people for whom endgame is not the end-all-be-all flip out if they ever removed leveling from an expansion.

I guess it’s kinda like removing the faction limitations. Should players really put that much importance on “tradition” and “lore”?

Last edited:
I guess it’s kinda like removing the faction limitations. Should players really put that much importance on “tradition” and “lore”?
It boils down to asking yourself what kind of game you want to play. Do you want to play an RPG committed to truly immersing you in a living world where actions and decisions have weight and matter? Where progression is measure not just in level and gear but story and character building? Where you arent just rushed to end game and that "end game" isnt just an endless treadmill of bosses dropping slightly better gear that allows you to kill slightly stronger bosses ad infinitum?

Or do you want to play an instance simulator where "progress" is measured in nothing more than the ilvl # on your gear going up?

I prefer the former. When I feel like I want the latter, I log into Diablo 3.

It boils down to asking yourself what kind of game you want to play. Do you want to play an RPG committed to truly immersing you in a living world where actions and decisions have weight and matter? Where progression is measure not just in level and gear but story and character building? Where you arent just rushed to end game and that "end game" isnt just an endless treadmill of bosses dropping slightly better gear that allows you to kill slightly stronger bosses ad infinitum?

Or do you want to play an instance simulator where "progress" is measured in nothing more than the ilvl # on your gear going up?

I prefer the former. When I feel like I want the latter, I log into Diablo 3.

Well, then I’m confused by your skepticism. It sounded like you were asking why ten levels of questing are traditionally obligatory for every expansion. You said it could be to “as a time sink to buy time while developing 0.5 content” which, you gotta admit, is pretty cynical.

It sounds like you’re arguing for it to be removed? But it’s undoubtedly a way to immerse yourself in the new zones where your progression is measured not just in level and questing gear (which is always meh) but rather in story and character.

Sure, you could argue that each expansion should try and recreate the full month-long 0-60 experience from scratch, but lets face it: Nobody else would want that degree of leveling/questing gatekeeping grind. Therefore: Isn’t 10 levels of story progression out in the world a decent compromise?

I must be misunderstanding your point because it sounds contradictory from one reply to the next. Could you clarify a bit more? :)
ah, my bad. I wasnt completely clear

I *hate* the way they're designing the game and at this point, given that their aim is to rush people to the end game instance simulator, I was sardonically asking why they even bothered with the charade of leveling. I don't like it, but if this is their goal... why even have levels?

I would much rather play a version of WoW where leveling was the primary mode of character progress and raiding/mythics was something only a truly dedicated few really partook of for the challenge, not so much the loot.

I actually like random dungeons though...I have met lots of cool ppl just spamming randoms for fun. I also happent o go out of my way to interact with randoms though but it seems like most ppl just stay mute all run.

It sort of has a Fast and Furious feel to it. One episode, they’re fighting against each other, the next episode they’re fighting alongside each other for the common good.
As daft as some of the F&F films are, I still enjoy them, and I’m fairly certain most will still enjoy the game with cross faction.
It will bring some variety to instances and bg’s rubbing shoulders with the opposite faction.
Nothing wrong with a little shake up from time to time. ;)

I’m fairly certain most will still enjoy the game with cross faction.
It will bring some variety to instances and bg’s rubbing shoulders with the opposite faction.
I can’t wait for matches in pvp like “Silver Hand” vs. “Burning Legion” premades. That’ll make bgs more interesting then the ones we have now in my own opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread