Pug Flag Carrying Guide

I just posted a second video on flag carrying on YouTube. I'm not exactly satisfied with it, but I'm tired of trying to edit it. Anyway, hopefully it will be useful to those interested in FCing. You can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hPtQM6n62A

Watch in High Quality for best effect.

Tell me what you think and any comments you have or if there's anything you would like me to touch upon in perhaps a future video.

Painaid said:
I just posted a second video on flag carrying on YouTube. I'm not exactly satisfied with it, but I'm tired of trying to edit it. Anyway, hopefully it will be useful to those interested in FCing. You can find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hPtQM6n62A

Watch in High Quality for best effect.

Tell me what you think and any comments you have or if there's anything you would like me to touch upon in perhaps a future video.

great video! i love how you mention that gear is a small part of FCing, because i agree (at least to an extent). being able to avoid opponents and getting opponents off your back is the most important part of PuG FCing. i've been able to FC on undergeared toons and do pretty well.

i think that one part of PuG FCing i cannot stress enough is when you need to go across midfield. i find that to be a very important factor in games which are difficult. it would be great if you could make a video about that, Painaid.

one thing i have to mention about some of the jumps Painaid is pulling off is that you have to practice them a lot. it takes awhile before you can actually make a terrain jump 99% of the time. the video makes them look easy, but you need a good amount of practice to perfect the angles and timing of terrain jumps. not only that, but if you have slows or snares on you it is much more difficult to pull jumps off. so practice and experience really helps with that (as well as having BoF and shapeshift :p)

I recently made a alliance mage. With about two weeks of fcing experience i can see a slight improvement from day to day. Still i have alot of questions on jumps and routes. I plan to keep fcing and post or video tape my progress. Maybe throw in some new tips that i have learned down the line.

Since my last post,i have learned a lot about fcing and can say that i'm making some good progress.I experimented with all sorts of different mage specs,and finally found one that suits me best. So i thought i share. Feel free to leave feedback

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#ofcbfbd0dZZhho

Just so you get an idea of why i choose this spec. Keep in mind that i am a 39 mage

3/3 spell impact

I searched through a handful of arcane specs for fcing and found that 75% of these twinks had 3 points in arcane meditation. I'm not sure if i'm correct on this,but from what i see your not going to need any points in arcane meditation at all until you reach higher levels or raiding. In pvp i'm mainly running away and not shooting fireballs constantly. So i feel the points could be used somewhere else.I decided to put 3 into spell impact. Simply because i always use fire blast. COC etc. so a few extra damage won't hurt.

2/3 student of the mind

Also i see alot of people put 3 points into student of the mind. While this is a useful talent i decided to put only 2 points into it. Its not going to increase a mages regeneration rate by whole lot. If i wanted to get my hp/mana bars full i would drink/eat.

Now on to the frost talents.

3/3 frost bite

Its always good to have a 15% chance to freeze someone without any effort.

3/3 ice floes

Since i'm constantly using these spells. It good to have them up and running again asap. Although i might consider taking one point out and putting it in frostwarding

1/2 Frost warding

The last of my talent points goes to frost warding. If i had more i put more into this.First off it increases your armor by a whole 25%. gives + to resistance and also has a 15% chance of negating fire/frost spells and turning that negated damage into mana for you. with two points into this i would have a +50% armor increase and a +30% to negate.

Alternatives

For a while i put my last talent point into permafrost but then i realize 1 second of extra chill doesn't do me that much good. Its decent but i prefer frost warding

You can always go full arcane,but i think putting a few points into frost.helps me get away from the angry mob alot better.

So thats my spec. don't hesitate to point out any mistakes because it would only help me improve as a fc. Feel free to leave a comment as well

on the 3/3 spell impact...

it's good if you're going to want to do extra damage, but as an arcane mage FC i would suspect your role to just be kiting people around. sure, it's extra damage, but are you really going to be killing people with it?

due to that, most people put 3 points into student of the mind because it's just a filler for not getting 3/3 spell impact. also helps with Arcane Meditation.

i'm surprised you didn't get at least two points into arcane meditation (assuming you want only 1 in imp CS). it's incredibly useful because it provides mana as you're running away. since you have mana shield, it's basically providing extra 'health' for you, granted you can keep mana shield going. i personally put 3 points into it because i think it's incredibly useful. remember: you can't always eat/drink...

my spec is 24/0/6, another good one is 27/0/3. of course you can always switch up your talents to get 2 points into imp CS, change frostbite to ice floes, or even go with lots of points into Arcane mind. /shrug

Excellent guide! I've made 4 FCs in my days and have capped hundreds of flags, maybe thousands lol. And I did learn a lot in your post, thanks! For the next guide, how about Catching FCs. :)

Seems to me that mages are the toughest to catch. Even after the slow debuff they can blink and get away.

ghank said:
For the next guide, how about Catching FCs. :)

well, most of my WSG experience is from flag carrying. i can't really write a guide about something i don't have much experience on.

Seems to me that mages are the toughest to catch. Even after the slow debuff they can blink and get away.

mages are IMO the best PuG FCs at 29/39 because they are the quickest class with the debuff and they have lots of CC with which they can support themselves. they aren't exactly the greatest at withstanding organized attacks, though.

I really want to know what's up with necro'ing year old threads lately.

Sanitarium said:
I really want to know what's up with necro'ing year old threads lately.

Well, it was still on the first page of General Guides... so is it really a necro? ^^ And there are links to it from other guides. Its not completely out of date.

Last Post: 05-12-2009 02:28 PM

Year Old.

Necro.

Users who are viewing this thread