PSA on GF Glyphs

Dam. Got the savage roar glyph (5 combo roar upon rake stealthed or w/e) on my 39 feral but accidently dinged 40 a few days prior to prepatch. Makes me sad seeing how op it is.

Fuck anyone who knew this was coming and didn't say anything. I got lucky but have friends who didn't

It's one of those things that has never been experienced before in Wow. We knew changes were coming to the glyph system, but no one could have really anticipated losing access to glyphs we'd had before 6.0.

Hence my thread.

Be careful guys, it's better to roll an entirely new character to play a different spec than it is to potentially lose something you might not be able to get back.

Holy crap im fricking confused right now

What are you confused about? Maybe I can help clear things up for you.

A total of 133 glyphs were turned into charred glyphs when 6.02 was released. Those are the ones that are prelearned. Currently there is no way of obtaining those glyphs as they are no longer craftable.
The glyph system and the enchanting system should not be compared in the way that they were in this thread. Glyphs are learned once and can be used over and over. Enchants are not that way.
To answer the OPs question, I do not know. If you have a glyph "equipped" that was not meant for your level once you replace it you may not be able to get it back.
/cheers

Sweetsidney

I'm afraid you are just repeating what I've already said.

The point isn't just to warn people about potentially grandfathered glyphs they should avoid replacing with new glyphs, rather the point is to also be careful about resetting your spec (since you don't have dual spec yet), as it might automatically unequip your potentially grandfathered glyphs. At level 29, you have to completely reset your specialization in order to swap to a new spec. This has the unfortunate side effect of also removing some equipped glyphs. It is unknown as to which glyphs are removed in this way upon a spec reset, and it's too risky to test it in order to find out.

As an example, I have this character:

Priestz @ Ursin - Community - World of Warcraft

If I were to switch specs from Shadow to Holy or Disc, even though that glyph should be useful to either spec, it might become unequipped, being lost forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just kind of confused about what level you have to be to not have a gf'd glyph. Are all glyphs automatically unlocked at 80+? because i know i have alot of glyphs on my 85 dk but i dont see any that are locked lol I checked my 39 druid and i dont see any level requirements for some glyphs. Just kinda confused on that part lol

Im just kind of confused about what level you have to be to not have a gf'd glyph. Are all glyphs automatically unlocked at 80+? because i know i have alot of glyphs on my 85 dk but i dont see any that are locked lol I checked my 39 druid and i dont see any level requirements for some glyphs. Just kinda confused on that part lol

From what I understand, Glyphs are automatically learned at the levels you unlock more glyph slots (25, 50, 75). These glyphs are not available to players below those levels unless you already had them equipped prior to patch 6.0, which is what makes them grandfathered. It's a lot like the Mara quest that was available to level 29s for several patches, but then one day was no longer available.

More importantly, resetting your spec (via the trainer) unequips some glyphs, which would remove any GF glyphs one might have at 29. Hence this PSA.

Users who are viewing this thread