Protection Warrior

i say go with ur prot warrior the assistance you provide for your team is amazing. warbringer allowing you to charge at all times any stance + intercept making people hardly ever able to get away from you. along with previous posts the damage a prot warrior can deal is in my opinion crazy concussive blow 5 second stun i believe + a nice bit of damage. WSG you'd be a juggernaut of a flag runner AB you can hold off 1/2 their team while your team if capping everything else. Shield bash = kick / concussive blow = stun / + revenge stun (revenge hits beastly btw) / charge + intercepts / hamstring(+glyph) / i don't see where you could go wrong hehe

Kaos said:
My playstyle is more direct, I figure if I really wanna be a nuisance, then the best way is to repeatedly send them back to their gy.

Never been big on flag running, imo, that's a druids job (or any other class that's not so easily locked down).

About the only thing I ever really have troubles against are druids, and mostly just cuz of the roots..if my trinket is up the first is easy.

nah, you can do a lot more in a BG by distracting and holding off opponents than sending them back to their gy. That's a 15 second avg recovery time whereas, i've held off twink rogues with my 29 priest for minutes kiting them back and forth across warson gulch as flags got capped right in front of them.

kilryan said:
i say go with ur prot warrior the assistance you provide for your team is amazing. warbringer allowing you to charge at all times

Warbringer is 50+ but yeah i did it at 69 it was a ton of fun. I want to go to 79 and have intervene too.

Charge, intercept, intervene, flag cap!

kilryan said:
i say go with ur prot warrior the assistance you provide for your team is amazing. warbringer allowing you to charge at all times

Warbringer is 50+ but yeah i did it at 69 it was a ton of fun. I want to go to 79 and have intervene too.

Charge, intercept, intervene, flag cap!

Get Battlemaster on the Viking Warhammer :)

Alright, I went over all the gear plate/mail/leather. The thing to note is that there is a bunch of stuff with +defense thrown on it but it is a minimal amount compared to the difference in raw stats of other items. Basically all the items in the bracket with defensive stats are negligible to the defenses you get from offensive stats plus the extra offense makes them a better choice all around.

Example, boots of avoidance gives 2.5% more dodge and +.25% crit than AB boots, but AB boots have 11 str and +minor speed which means you can chant with +10 hit/+10crit (+1.3% to hit +.9%) vs +9 stam and minor speed.

Therefore 2.5% dodge and 9 stam compete against 11 str, 1.3% hit and +.65% crit. This is actually a bad example because it's a pretty good trade off but you will still need to hit the hit cap and prot. without minor speed is not cool.

I didn't chant the pants or the head because I believe they won't be available come 3.1 for 49s so I put on BoP pants that are pretty nice.

The exuberant amount of gear with surplus stats made me go for +def chants but you can always switch those around.

6 THOUSAND ARMOR (56.8% mit)

27% total mitigation from dodge, block, and parry. 6.48% to be missed and 1.48% not be crit

4.81% to hit (Yep I concur with everyone else that you should go for 4.9% hit because you cant defend yourself if your disarm, concussion blow, and thunderclap miss.)

17.62% to crit (I like to go about 15% mores okay ;)

867 AP w/battle shout (AP is awesome for heavy hitting concussion blows, I love that post about not being able to take out a healer unless concussion blow is up, of course not but it's a 40 sec CD make sure you save it for them.)

226 Block value (might of went overboard with the enchant) but your shield slams should pone and they kind of need to, they cost a ton of rage.

3729 HP - This could maybe use some work...

This all seems pretty threatening, plenty of defenses with plenty of offenses are going to make for one mean soloing prot. warrior.

Here is the complete build:

http://www.chardev.org/?template=150288

Now what are you going to do about glyphs?

3729 HP - This could maybe use some work...

Not really, you've built this char assuming all the twink gear nerfs on the ptr go live... if this is the case, most classes will be losing at least 5-600 hp so that hp is a decent number. Still a little low for a prot warrior, I would recommend replacing a few of those +defense enchants with +stam if possible since you aren't always fighting melee :)

For health you could always buff that with mining, you can get up to +30 stam from toughness. I'd also drop the defense 'chants, I was playing around at chardev.org and defense (even as an enchant) just doesn't seem to hold as strong as straight Stam/Str.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest switching out the Plated Fist of Hakoo for some Vice Grips of the Bear (15/15) from ZF. Personally I'd value the extra Stam/Str over the 10 Agility, but Hakoo's are still a nice substitute (as you can see from my twink's armory).

Have to say I'm jealous of your Fire Opal and Dark Iron ring. Oh, and your Atal'ai Girdle. :)

Gonna have to be honest about that Hammer of the Northern Wind though, I just didn't find it all that great. Even after applying frost oil I still wasn't slowing opponents as often as I'd like, eventually I switched out for a Viking Warhammer for +5 Str and +11 Stam.

Magrim said:
Now what are you going to do about glyphs?

That's the big question. I picked up the Glyph of Resonating Power as a gimme (cheaper TCs? Heck yea!) and the minor Glyph of Bloodlust (no damage from BL), but the second major has been a hard one for me to figure.

I first tried the Glyph of Blocking, but frankly I was already getting full blocks without it so I dumped that. Then there was the Glyph of Cleaving, which is good on paper but I found lining up 3 opponents to cleave rather frustrating. Now I'm trying out the Glyph of Heroic Strike, which isn't bad per se but nothing to write home about. The money might rest in the Glyph of Shield Wall in 3.1, when talented that's only a 2 min CD.

Anid_Maro said:
For health you could always buff that with mining, you can get up to +30 stam from toughness. I'd also drop the defense 'chants, I was playing around at chardev.org and defense (even as an enchant) just doesn't seem to hold as strong as straight Stam/Str.

Mining will only give +10 stam after patch. //edit, i was thinking 39.

For cloak 12 def vs 12 agil is 1.2% the total of dodge, blocke, parry and .4% to miss and .4% not to be crit vs .74% crit and .38% dodge and 24 armor.

And yeah you can stack health or stats too.

Anid_Maro said:
If you can swing it, I'd suggest switching out the Plated Fist of Hakoo for some Vice Grips of the Bear (15/15) from ZF. Personally I'd value the extra Stam/Str over the 10 Agility, but Hakoo's are still a nice substitute (as you can see from my twink's armory).

I'm showing them only in the 11/12 variety so 2 stam, 1 str 14 attack power for 10 agil doesn't sound equal. Personally I just don't feel attack power is worth too much compared to strength or other stats.

Anid_Maro said:
Have to say I'm jealous of your Fire Opal and Dark Iron ring. Oh, and your Atal'ai Girdle. :)

I'm not there yet, just seeing how high the stam would go.

Anid_Maro said:
Gonna have to be honest about that Hammer of the Northern Wind though, I just didn't find it all that great. Even after applying frost oil I still wasn't slowing opponents as often as I'd like, eventually I switched out for a Viking Warhammer for +5 Str and +11 Stam.

One guy on here said he liked it, with piercing howl i might skip it.

Anid_Maro said:
I first tried the Glyph of Blocking, but frankly I was already getting full blocks without it so I dumped that. Then there was the Glyph of Cleaving, which is good on paper but I found lining up 3 opponents to cleave rather frustrating. Now I'm trying out the Glyph of Heroic Strike, which isn't bad per se but nothing to write home about. The money might rest in the Glyph of Shield Wall in 3.1, when talented that's only a 2 min CD.

Try the glyph of revenge, it's pretty fun.

Magrim said:
Mining will only give +10 stam after patch.

?!

Since when? +30 Stam is for having 375 mining, which is allowable at 49 by the current level caps. Are they changing the level caps?

Magrim said:
I'm showing them only in the 11/12 variety so 2 stam, 1 str 14 attack power for 10 agil doesn't sound equal. Personally I just don't feel attack power is worth too much compared to strength or other stats.

Ooops, you're right. My bad, why'd I think they were 15/15? /facepalm

Magrim said:
Try the glyph of revenge, it's pretty fun.

I played with that for a bit and I might go back to it, but making sure my heroic strikes got in was irritating. Especially with a macro, which only works when you have enough rage to "pay" for your free HS.

A few questions:

(1) What do you guys think of Precisely Calibrated Boomstick?

(2) Mongoose or Crusader? Burst/Dodge or Small Heal and Stable Attack power?

Crusader = Small heal and 100 Str.

Mongoose = 120 Agi and +2% Attack Speed Increase. I don't know how much crit 120 agi gives.

Both last for 15 seconds and I believe they have similar procs per minute.

(3) Enchanted Azsharite Felbane Dagger or Enchanted Azsharite Felbane Sword?

I'm leaning more towards the dagger because it has a faster attack speed and all I want it to do is proc Berserking.

My Prot Warrior - [char=Skullcrusher]Udders[/char]

The poster who said it was weak has NO idea what he's talking about, more survivability than all the other specs. Hits harder than all the other specs.

I will suggest getting hit capped ASAP. Nothing is more disheartening than missing a shield bash on a casting priest. Biggest drawback is lack of mobility but that's a warrior class issue. Also, they're fixing the rage starvation against bubbles. I do fine against healer.

Only things I would change would be getting mining and skinning to 375, changing chest to Spiderfang Carapice, and getting Blackstone Ring. That would hit cap me and add more crit and stam.

If u're DPS'ing, u need a hard hitting weapon, best in slot is Ribsplitter of Tiger/Bear. Fast hitting weapons don't really do anything for u. @ just under 1k AP, my 1h crits for 650 and the other numbers for shield slam, revenge, and conc blow have already been stated.

It's one of the few specs that can hang w/ Ret Paladins. If u have a healer, even more fun. Though having Juggernaut @ 49 in arms may have me tempted to go back to arms.

Anid_Maro said:
?!

Since when? +30 Stam is for having 375 mining, which is allowable at 49 by the current level caps. Are they changing the level caps?

yeah i was thinking 39s sorry.

Ultiknight said:
A few questions:

(1) What do you guys think of Precisely Calibrated Boomstick?

(2) Mongoose or Crusader? Burst/Dodge or Small Heal and Stable Attack power?

Crusader = Small heal and 100 Str.

Mongoose = 120 Agi and +2% Attack Speed Increase. I don't know how much crit 120 agi gives.

Both last for 15 seconds and I believe they have similar procs per minute.

(3) Enchanted Azsharite Felbane Dagger or Enchanted Azsharite Felbane Sword?

I'm leaning more towards the dagger because it has a faster attack speed and all I want it to do is proc Berserking.

Stack stam and strength first. Agil and crit aren't junk stats and it is good to have a certain amount but it's not as important to have high str and stam.

Remember crusader also increases your shield block rating by increasing strength, increase your shield block rating dramatically increases your shield slam damage therefore the choice is pretty simple.

Ahhhhh good point!! I didnt think about the shield slam. Crusader it is. Now I just need to gain another 20 levels or so on the warrior. . .

Ultiknight said:
Ahhhhh good point!! I didnt think about the shield slam. Crusader it is. Now I just need to gain another 20 levels or so on the warrior. . .

Yeah, Crusader makes Shield Slam pretty sick. Occasionally, the planets align for me and I land a crit Shield Slam while I have Crusader and Enrage procced while they're suffering from Imp. Disarm. 1.7K+ crits are fun to see. :)

i have a 49 warrior, usually prot, but MS atm.

i roll with viking warhammer with potency (+20 strength = 10 block value, and 40 AP) just because i like the constant stats vs a proc, so its just personal preference.

just incase it hasn't been said before: i value stats in this order, stam, strength, then agility. i dont have a healbot so stamina as #1 helps survivability even more (but sacrificing that for strength means higher shield slam/conc. blow), then comes strength for aforementioned bonus's(boni?lol), lastly agility for crit, dodge, and armor. resilience and defense can also be nice, but i look at them after the other three main stats.

good luck and enjoy warriors @ 49

also glyph wise; when im prot i use glyph of blocking and revenge for majors. 10% more block value means high SS's and more damage blocked, always good. revenge is just awesome...free HS after revenge is too good. revenge already crits for around 1k, so xtra yellow damage after that is just gravy. w/o revenge glyph i hardly work HS into a rotation since im generally raged starved against casters or in the beginning of a fight, so i recommend it

Falkor said:
also glyph wise; when im prot i use glyph of blocking and revenge for majors. 10% more block value means high SS's and more damage blocked, always good. revenge is just awesome...free HS after revenge is too good. revenge already crits for around 1k, so xtra yellow damage after that is just gravy. w/o revenge glyph i hardly work HS into a rotation since im generally raged starved against casters or in the beginning of a fight, so i recommend it

What's your warriors name? (My twink tab thing is bugged)

ærostrike (copy&past unless u know how to make the weird ae thingy) on kargath, us

like i said im arms spec atm, but i could try logging off in prot gear to give you an idea. with prot gear and spec i have 5.1k hp and still have a good chunk of AP and avoidance. my crit is a little low, but i do ok with what i have and hit hard when it counts.

Alkaholic said:
My Prot Warrior - [char=Skullcrusher]Udders[/char]

The poster who said it was weak has NO idea what he's talking about, more survivability than all the other specs. Hits harder than all the other specs.

Lol...

It never once had higher dmg than arms for me, survivability isn't an issue, at least in my battlegroup, where you will ALWAYS find yourself being 6v1'd and never receiving heals.

My gear was up to par for the spec, the only thing I lacked was a Sunscale Helmet, which I highly doubt is gamebreaking.

To each his own though, some specs are just not enjoyed by some, I can say Prot is better than Fury at least.

Maybe things will change in the next patch, but for now Arms is better in my opinion for the way I play.

Just my opinion, but then again I have "NO idea what I'm talking about"... =O

Users who are viewing this thread