Prot PVP: warr vs pally

Lythe

OG
so ive been looking into prot PVP ALOT lately and i've been wanting to try it but i cant decide what class to play as i have a lvl 80 ret pally atm who is my side main and i have a lvl 10 war with full BoA's.

i really like how warr's can go block rating spec or ArP/crit spec but seems like pallys can only go ret gear with full STR gems. ive watched swifty's videos on prot pvp and looks alot better and alot more fun then pallys. so i was wondering if anyone had any other information on prot pvp and which class would you pick?

Protection

* Concussion Blow : Damage is decreased by 50%, but threat generated by this ability remains still.

* Devastate: Damage is increased to 120% (Up from 100%)

* Shield Slam: Damage increment from block value decreased, and starts to decrease from lower block value. If your gear is almost High-end, players won’t really recognize the change. In addition, threat generated by Shield Slam is increased by 30%

* Warbringer: This talent no longer allows Charge and Intercept to break roots or snares. Intervene remains unaffected.

Shield slam spec was really just a Swifty only "LOOK AT MY CRITS" type thing to begin with (most high end pvp prots dont stack shield block value) but if there was any doubt... Well its dead now.

This leaves you with ArP spec... Devastate doing 20% more damage is a good thing but warbringer nerf just SUCKS, bad. I suspect youll be seeing alot of warriors returning to arms... Ill be doing the same by the looks of it.

My sig is directed at this thread.

Well the nerf to warbringer is/was needed. I tryed to duel a prot warr on my frost mage and I poped every cd (even coldsnap) and I wasent even close to beating him.

But I got my warrior to 80 yesterday and I think I gonna spec prot pvp anyways.

elocon said:
Well the nerf to warbringer is/was needed. I tryed to duel a prot warr on my frost mage and I poped every cd (even coldsnap) and I wasent even close to beating him.

You cant be serious? Frost mage complaining about warriors? Clearly the one spec/talent that gave warriors a chance vs any sub par frost mage needed a nerf.

I suggest you take your lvl80 warrior, spec arms (or prot without warbringer) and duel a half decent frost mage... Come back and tell us again how badly warbringer needed a nerf.

Prot warriors are overpowered vs casters, yes. Between conc blow stun, shockwave, shield bash and heroic throw (gag order) your looking at about 12 seconds of spell lockout. Warbringer didnt need a nerf, gag order did.

[edit]

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=121203

Gforces (considered probably the most skilled warrior around currently) latest movie. In it he faces off against Gameking both as elemental spec and full frost spec. He gets absolutely smashed 9/10 by full frost... Gamekings gear isnt even close to being as good as Geforces either.

Ohpee said:
You cant be serious? Frost mage complaining about warriors? Clearly the one spec/talent that gave warriors a chance vs any sub par frost mage needed a nerf.
I know that warrior in a duel against a mage is not that great at all for warrior but should it be the other way alround instead (with warbringer)? It also changes alot in arena (warr's usally got healers).

I think that if you really want to PvP with your paladin you should go holy.

A holy paladin has a lot more viable setups then a prot paladin at the moment.

Prot is still a viable specc even after the nerf. Your damage will be less bursty but you will have higher sustanied damage if I have understood everything, maybe you could team up with 2x healers? Maybe bladestorm would be a more viable specc for that idk.

I can see both speccs work in competetive arena, maybe r1 would be a struggle as prot paladin but if you dont care about that then go for it.

All in all i can see both speccs work depending on your own dedication and skill with prot warrior being the most viable and easiest of the 2.

If you plan on pvp as prot, all it will be is str stacking your ret gear and glyphing for more single target for extreme burst. But other then burst, you would have nothing.

if the warbringer nerf goes live, ill stop pvp as prot. period.

the SBV nerf is ok, not to mention the devastate buff...conc blow? well, dunno. liked it, but maybe it will work out good with devastate.

warbringer is THE fun in prot and without it i think MS is the tool to get.

the warbringer will go live, 3.3.2 is already live on korean version.

so there is a giant chance that it will also on our server. the good news is that they are reversing much of th enerf they did with 3.3... th eonly question i am asking my self, is... what was changed in 3.3.1. i cannot find anywhere yet we are speaking of 3.3.2 already !

one thing you guys really need to know about warriors, only prot spec is made against casters. i mean shield bash just screams to eat casters.

what makes warbringer too strong is that it is a trinket all by itself and a trinket without big CD like the 2 minute CD. that is making it too strong. its not the fact it kills everybody, its the fact that warriors got trinket and another ability to go pass thru their stuns and all, and now you're giving them warbringer as well. you're talking to a class that was going from able to kill casters if it was prot, even without warbringer to completely obliterating casters with it !

the fact stays, warriors are killing casters while in prot. but gets easily killed by casters if they aren't backed up by another character ! thats the balance of arenas. each class having the need for for companions to deal with their drawbacks against certain classes.

i do not agree on the warbringer nerf... but i disagree on the casters saying i can't do shit against him. but look around, you can do much against everyone else. thus what you're asking for you to be able to kill everything in your path. now that would be quite unbalanced !

elocon said:

unnerfed prot warriors were the only ones to even remotely challenge frost mages in 1v1 so...

protadins can be great fun in wsg, unless ure always the fc. slow hard hitting 1hander, shield-

just gem 20str, glyph avengers shield, and pwn all melee..

casters will still rape u, especially warlocks

my warrior is arms, but i play both holy( belf ) and prot-ret( human ) pala

Ret pally= GAY, NO SKILL NEEDED, BORING...

Roll Holy or go War.

bankbeauty said:
Ret pally= GAY, NO SKILL NEEDED, BORING...

Roll Holy or go War.

Prot paladins can really wreck people, and there's a certain admount of skill required to succeed as a ret paladin compared to arms warrior

helmût said:
and there's a certain admount of skill required to succeed as a ret paladin

fucking loling! Thanks

Paladin all the way...

Warriors have been nerfed considerably now, and its pretty easy to survive. However Protret on the other hand (protection spec in ret gear + shield/1H) is hardcore... Im hanging around 1.8k in 2v2 atm after just 1 week of arena and a protret (around 2k mmr) managed to do 15k in 1 gcd on my healer (hpal with 950 res) go figure :S

Helmût said:
Prot paladins can really wreck people, and there's a certain admount of skill required to succeed as a ret paladin compared to arms warrior

this is very true in arenas, especially 3v3. it takes a serious amount of skill to get any comp with a ret in it to 2k->

being a cleansebot and freedom bot for your teammates. when it comes crunch time to kill after a swap for example rets can still be efective but u really need to play defensive and support your teammates. overall rets are being hurt because no gap closer, weak CC and no MS

in battlegrounds rets still do extremely well- shadows edge or bryntroll and pew pew

joaq said:
this is very true in arenas, especially 3v3. it takes a serious amount of skill to get any comp with a ret in it to 2k->

being a cleansebot and freedom bot for your teammates. when it comes crunch time to kill after a swap for example rets can still be efective but u really need to play defensive and support your teammates. overall rets are being hurt because no gap closer, weak CC and no MS

in battlegrounds rets still do extremely well- shadows edge or bryntroll and pew pew

wtf u on about bro...

Cleave. Arms/Ret/Resto. A Consistently high rated 3v3 team since S6..

Playing defensive. Ye, in certain situations, your never forced into full defensive a whole game... maybe if you suck.... longest you'd have to play full on defensive is during enemy full on CD pop...

And dont come back with "ok 2v2 hard as ret no CC and no MS"... because Ret/Resto, Ret/Disc, Ret/Rogue, Ret/Mage.. all 2k+ rated comps

Users who are viewing this thread