Proff question

Karok

Legend
So this is probably an old question, but haven't found much in the way of discussion on the topic while trawling through.

Now that lifeblood gives a frankly pityful heal and some haste, would skinning for the crit or mining for the stam be better options in its place as permanent stats rather than a kinda weak 'on use' ability?

This coming from an ele shammy PoV btw, and my other prof is eng... which I will keep for the goggles until I get LFH as i never seem to use bombs etc much for cost/other reasons.

Any thoughts?

if heals suck, you should go resto. we need more healers.

Semi-on topic, Im going herb/mine for my Holy pally, am I gimping myself by not going herb/crit?

Subpar said:
Semi-on topic, Im going herb/mine for my Holy pally, am I gimping myself by not going herb/crit?

You would be best off just training yourself how to abuse the haste. Its a lot more stat bonus then crit, and will help you more in clutch situations.

Just practice using it all the time, so when a panic mode situation comes up you naturally hit it, and heal through anything.

Karok said:
This is true, however my counter to this is that i very rarely find myself able to stand chain cast LB in a WSG. Usually its running around, dropping totems here, there, and everywhere, and since heals suck so bad not even much point in making em faster :p

Elemental is not just about totems. LBs crit for around 400-450 when geared properly. 55 haste is worth it for all casters.

If you are just running around dropping totems, maybe attempt building a FC set? Mining and Herbalism is the way to go for that. Otherwise figure out a way to cast since that's what the elemental class is all about.

LB is the shizz imo. If its not affecting your LB casts then its helping your FS ticks and it will proc your flame tongue weapon procs more often as well.

Karok said:
even as resto, shaman heals are as bad as pally heals are good. they give you a false sense of hope when you think you're being healed, ele is far more useful as things stand atm imo.

Not true. Your earth shield heals quite nice since they only heal when the person takes damage. Meaning even if the FC LoS you or you can't catch up to them in time, your earth shield will still heal them(This is actually a really good mana saver too). Now I am not going to lie, a shaman healer most likely couldn't solo heal a big group of people unlike a druid priest or paladin, but that doesn't mean they are completely useless. Imo I perfer a Shaman healer over most mainly because I am constantly Kiting and outrunning the enemies which is difficult for most healers to stay with me. With Earth shield it's easy for me to run around and still receive a heal from the shaman. On top of that, ghost wolf allows you to stick with me and it's even usable in buildings which gives you a huge advantage over most classes. Lastly, Shamans have AoE CC which is vital for kiting. Either you don't know how to play a Shaman Healer very well or your being ignorant towards them.

Mrcer said:
Not true. Your earth shield heals quite nice since they only heal when the person takes damage. Meaning even if the FC LoS you or you can't catch up to them in time, your earth shield will still heal them(This is actually a really good mana saver too). Now I am not going to lie, a shaman healer most likely couldn't solo heal a big group of people unlike a druid priest or paladin, but that doesn't mean they are completely useless. Imo I perfer a Shaman healer over most mainly because I am constantly Kiting and outrunning the enemies which is difficult for most healers to stay with me. With Earth shield it's easy for me to run around and still receive a heal from the shaman. On top of that, ghost wolf allows you to stick with me and it's even usable in buildings which gives you a huge advantage over most classes. Lastly, Shamans have AoE CC which is vital for kiting. Either you don't know how to play a Shaman Healer very well or your being ignorant towards them.

so yeah, we get one very situational ability in ES and have mobility, this does NOT make up for the fact that we heal for half the amount at almost double the cast time of other healers. In a situation where FC is taking damage from say 2-3; a pally or priest can keep them up in most cases till help arrives. whereas spam HW at 2.5s, if it doesnt crit has no chance what so ever.

With Spark of Life - Spell - World of Warcraft a Shaman's heal are increased by 1% more than any other healer. Then you add Focused Insight - Spell - World of Warcraft Which Increases the healing of it by an extra 10%. Then you add the heal gained from earth shield when they are struck...They obviously cannot be as good as a holy paladin or a restro druid but their heals are not worthless. With a good play-style and good use of your totems and shocks, a restro shaman is definitely worth having on a team. I know at least 3 Guilds that have a restro shaman on their Premading D team. Clearly your logic is invalid.

Mrcer said:
Clearly your logic is invalid.

Ha really? I suppose you have proven your point beyond all reasonable doubt have you?

Spark of Life - Spell - World of Warcraft a whole 1%!?

Focused Insight - Spell - World of Warcraft lets say a heal heals for 200, another 20hp is hardly gamebreaking, and considering this requires you to use a shock between each heal to gain benefit, you wont get this 10% stacking up in chain casting.

The argument I'm making is, you may as well go ele and support heal when needed while dealing some major dmg and having abilities like TS which is pure gold when used properly. And your heals will be almost as good (bad) just without earthshield.

Obviously your missing the point which is why your will never be a good restro shaman. Everyone knows doing the lots of little stuff eventually add up to something big. Shamans in general have a hard time in WSG, but just because they can't solo heal against 6 people or take on a 3 vs 1 doesn't mean they are worthless. Being elemental spec and trying to be 'support' heals is how the group is going to die. You have a better chance trying to kill the enemy incs than even trying to throw a heal for the FC because your heals will be worthless.

The Point of being A Restro Shaman is that they offer a bunch of little things that add up to something big. A restro shaman is a support healer.

A restro shaman should be focusing on all the little things because of how badly they were nerfed. Some of the little things are:

1. Keep Earth Shield up on the FC and pop lifeblood/shock and cast Healing Wave when ever the FC is getting low on HP

2. Killing off Hunter pets and warlock summonings

3. Purging any buffs or HoT that the enemy O-Team might have

4. Keeping Searing Totem and Earthbind totem up to help with extra DPS/CC

5. Using Cleaning Spirit in case a warlock drops in and starts DoT spamming everyone

6. Casting Flame Shock on any Stealther in cast they try to run and restealth

7. Wind Shear any Casters that are trying to cast

Shamans in general struggle to do any form of GOOD CC, good DPS, or good heals which is why they need to focus on the little things because doing enough little things help the most in the long run.

As I stated before, your logic is invalid.

yeah well we're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one.

Firstly you say i'm missing the point, yet all of the things you have mentioned with the exception of earth shield can be done, and in terms of killing/cc done Better as ele.

Also, shamans do not struggle to do any 'good dps'. That's just a totally incorrect statement unless you're saying not being the *best* is not good.

P.S I suggest you do some research on logic, arguments and opinions as you seem to have them very confused; you stating a view and that counters mine does not make anything invalid.

Research? I have played as a 19 Restro shaman for quite some time after the shattering. I have only decided to go to the 29 bracket after I finished my 70. Believe me when I say my logic is not an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread