Profession prioritization for f2p?

Exalted

Veteran
I know there's some guides for some professions and stuff..but let's say you're making an f2p char, and you want to max it out to maximum profession potential / start working on that..what's the most efficient way to go about it? Like grab mining and herbalism and gather xyz then do abc? any input?

All i see lately is, help me to read by telling me exactly where to go.. Lol this site has a search function aye? Ypu can also just google professions xpoff if you can't use the site search bar.
/shrug

All i see lately is, help me to read by telling me exactly where to go.. Lol this site has a search function aye? Ypu can also just google professions xpoff if you can't use the site search bar.
/shrug
Yes, there's literally a thread called "Read Before Posting New Threads" at the top of 20s section of the forums. People love being spoonfed. It is what it is. :KEKW:

what's the most efficient way to go about it? Like grab mining and herbalism and gather xyz then do abc? any input?
Yes, there's literally a thread called "Read Before Posting New Threads" at the top of 20s section of the forums. People love being spoonfed. It is what it is. :KEKW:

in OPs defense, the Baseline guide needs a substantial re-work in the professions department. It was written in the rush of prepatch/new expac and never really revisited. I'm not 100% sure its the optimal rotation anymore and until last week, it still talked about grinding for talasites.

That said, you could certainly do worse than follow it.

I prioritized engineering first (https://xpoff.com/threads/f2p-engineering-guide.95434/) Gobolord put together an amazingly thorough guide.

Then I grabbed herbalism (northrend specifically) until I had about 200-250 total herbs. Dropped it for inscription (again northrend), milled the herbs and created a few recipes until I was level 20 inscription and had access to the shoulder enchant I wanted (Master's Inscription of the Axe).

Last edited:
I prioritized engineering first (https://xpoff.com/threads/f2p-engineering-guide.95434/) Gobolord put together an amazingly thorough guide.

Then I grabbed herbalism (northrend specifically) until I had about 200-250 total herbs. Dropped it for inscription (again northrend), milled the herbs and created a few recipes until I was level 20 inscription and had access to the shoulder enchant I wanted (https://www.wowhead.com/spell=61117/masters-inscription-of-the-axe).

That only applies if you are vet, because as f2p, in this case you aren’t gemmed/enchanted/etc…

not exactly sure what you mean by only applies if you are vet. OP asked for f2p profession prioritization it seems ench/inscr is the best pure f2p profession combination. For vet accounts that can level professions (alchemy) up to 300 I would probably recommend eng/alch instead
F2P can level alch to 300. Flask is easily accessible with a few hours of vanilla zone herb grinding. I doubt Inscription is better than Alchemy with flask.

Reactions: Sil
F2P can level alch to 300. Flask is easily accessible with a few hours of vanilla zone herb grinding. I doubt Inscription is better than Alchemy with flask.

f2p aren’t profession capped at 100 anymore? I guess my info is a few expacs behind then lol

Not since Shadowlands. I believe that every profession can be leveled to max on F2P. Only Cata might be more difficult due to zones being higher level (30+ or 35+).
damn that’s good to know. I would have bet money that f2p accounts were profession capped at 100. thanks for the info
[doublepost=1650728262,1650727958][/doublepost]

Vet would be ench/alch maybe f2p too. need some more knowledgeable heads to chime in

The most common endgame (fully enchanted and gemmed) level 20 profession pair is Alchemy (for main stat boosting flask) and Engineering (glider on cape, dragonling trinket and belt tinkers). A decent route is provided in the F2P baseline guide. I believe some people prefer Engineering and Inscription due to flask not being available in Wargames. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I believe some people prefer Engineering and Inscription due to flask not being available in Wargames. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
This is entirely correct. You can't flask in Arena/Wargames(bg or arena) so they get stats from inscription.
Tinkers(cloak/Belt) also don't work in arenas/wargames but the trinket does.
People also forget you don't need engineering in order to equip/use the dragonling trinket either
upload_2022-4-23_12-41-5.png

its different than lets say... goggles
upload_2022-4-23_12-42-46.png

Vet would be ench/alch maybe f2p too. need some more knowledgeable heads to chime in
Most the replies seem to be talking about the ending combo but stickyo pointed out that your proff rotation of mining/engi -> herb/engi -> inscr/Engi only applies to vet because F2P have to work in more than just that to fullfill all their needs. Your suggested rotation leaves out the following that f2p would also have to consider:
  • Tailoring for bags
  • Enchanting for enchants and oils
  • Alchemy for gem transmutes if MoH gems dont cover what they want
  • Jewelcrafting to prospect for gems to transmute and cut gems
  • Mining for prospecting
  • Herbalism to level alch for transmutes
  • Blacksmithing for weapon stones if wanted
So while they are going to need to follow your suggested rotation at some point to reach their ending BG ready proffs it skips out on the part OP seems to be asking about. Which would be the optimal way to rotate through the ones listed above while planning to end on the standard engi/alch or engi/inscr final combos

One tip I'd give to a F2P profession grinder is to make sure to spend gold on Frozen Orb. The gems you get from icy prism really cut down on the amount of gems you need to prospect. On both my rogue and my druid, I used about 30 Frozen Orb to get leveled to (it's green those last few levels and can really take a long time to get to 75).

its different than lets say... goggles
I'm kind of an idiot. Bearing that in mind, can you speak to how much value the goggles offer over, for example, a gemmed-out Hope Bearer's Helm (I don't know how to Wowhead link, sorry). Given that the garrison engineering hut can make gliders and you don't need engineering to use the dragooning once it's made it appears that engineering's offering is "just" the belt tinker and goggles. I'm not sure how the belt tinker (brief zoom-zoom every three minutes, isn't it?) compares to, for example, tailoring nets or inscription stats in BGs so I am wondering if engineering is the best final-profession choice for me. Any insight you've got would be super helpful.

Also, I have seen a few people saying that it's impossible for F2P twinks to do Outland JC. Why is that? Is that a major problem? I understand that the Outland talasites have been nerfed so I'm uncertain whether that's a huge handicap.

can you speak to how much value the goggles offer over, for example, a gemmed-out Hope Bearer's Helm
The differnce being the offset of the armor + main stat loss vs. a Meta Gem slot & huge sub-stat boost from the Eng goggles.
The Meta gems such as https://www.wowhead.com/item=32640/tense-unstable-diamond , https://www.wowhead.com/item=25896/powerful-earthstorm-diamond or https://www.wowhead.com/item=28556/swift-windfire-diamond are very powerful & if you want as competitive a toon as possible, you should seek a build which features them over just main stat stacking.

Users who are viewing this thread