Precisely Calibrated Boomstick vs. Guttbuster: Which is better for the Prot Warrior?

Most Warrior Prot builds I see either have, or recommend, [ITEM]Precisely Calibrated Boomstick[/ITEM] which is Epic and a good firearm for those in need of protecting their AB bases, however, the [ITEM]Guttbuster[/ITEM] seems to offer some advantages to the warrior prot build, primarily the extra strength and the heavier damage (I usually only get one shot off with this when I'm snared anyway).

Any thoughts/strong opinions from the Warrior Prot community?

6 agility vs 3 strength. damage of the shot is not important; i can count the number of times ive killed some1 w/a ranged wep on both hands easily.

basically guttbuster boosts block and strength (read shield block value/AP), which is pro

boomstick boots crit, armor & dodge, albeit very slightly (what is that like less than a fourth of a crit, and tiny other stats)

out of those two i'd take the guttbuster *oh and thats 11(3+8) stats vs 14 stats*

however that being said, on my warrior i have thorium flight blades ([item=34419]Thorium Flight Blade[/item]) for arms/fury, and can sub in for prot too,

but mainly the WSG bow to boost sta even higher -- can never be too high specially in post 3.1 -- and get a nice lil bit of agil too.

Going for the Gutt

Thanks for the input. I like Guttbuster for those reasons too. First I heard about the Thorium Flight Blade but I can see how that might be a good alternative. What is the WSG Bow you're referring to? I'm definitely intrigued particularly if it gives a Stam boost.

Outrunner's Bow ([item=19563]Outrunner's Bow[/item]) Alliance version. 694 honor & 30 WSG badges

horde one is identical stats/costs but named Outrider's Bow

thorium flight blade is a reward from the end of a chain you get from completing Ulda and talking to the keeper in the final chamber. then like 2 more small chains and u can get this one, just go to the wowhead link to get all the details. definitely a good alternative, and very good for arms/fury if u ever respec. alliance only reward, but i think ur an ally lookn @ ur sig, so enjoy!

Falkor said:
thorium flight blade is a reward from the end of a chain you get from completing Ulda and talking to the keeper in the final chamber. then like 2 more small chains and u can get this one, just go to the wowhead link to get all the details. definitely a good alternative, and very good for arms/fury if u ever respec. alliance only reward, but i think ur an ally lookn @ ur sig, so enjoy!

Thanks for sharing this, if it wasn't for the XP I'd go for it. If only I knew this before :)

ahh thats too bad =/

i mean they're great for prot if ur goin a more offensive build, and they are awesome for arms/fury. WSG bow is prolly ur best bet to stack some more sta in post 3.1.

but for an offensive prot build, go guttbuster then

Falkor said:
Outrunner's Bow ([item=19563]Outrunner's Bow[/item]) Alliance version. 694 honor & 30 WSG badges

horde one is identical stats/costs but named Outrider's Bow

That's what I carry. I didn't care too much for the +8 agility from the Gutbuster, so I went with the bow even though it gave no strength. But I figured trading +3 str for +3 agi was a good sacrifice for trading +8 agi for +8 stam.

Not much of a fan of the Boomstick as a Warrior. I'd agree with the accidental twink about +14 stats > +13 stats if I valued agility even half as much as I value strength/stamina. Great weapon for a Rogue, but I'm not a Rogue, I'm a Warrior. Prot at that. All I get from agi is some dodge and some crit, nice but stam helps me live longer while strength gives me AP and Block Value.

Considering agi at 1/2 value of either str or stam, the 'Stick is really like +7 vs. +7 from the 'Buster vs. +9.5 from the Bow. Were agi 2/3 the value then you'd get +9.33 from the 'Stick vs. +8.33 from the 'Buster vs. +10 from the Bow. Only if agi is 3/4 the value of str/stam you'd then have the 'Stick winning at +10.5 vs. +9 from the 'Buster vs. 10.25 from the Bow.

The 'Stick is good if you think agi is teh uber sauce, but I've never been much impressed with it as a Warrior. Especially as Prot I'd much rather have the health from stam or AP/SBV from strength. The Boomstick gives about .9% crit at 49 from the CharDev site, nice but 80 health +3 agi or 6AP/1.5SBV +8agi or .6% crit +12 AP are all better in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread