Possibly buying a new computer..

Orcgasm

rip fishin buddies
I'm planning on buying a new computer within the next month or two, and I want something I won't replace for a long time. I searched around on the internet, and found something I was interested in. I don't know a lot about the lingo used when describing a computer, so I'll just post the info.

Alienware Aurora Desktop

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor

3GB Triple Channel 1067Mhz DDR3

Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard

Single 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5770

640GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD

Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis

Alienware TactXâ„¢ Mouse

AlienFX Color, Mars Red

Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

1 Year Basic Service Plan

Steam and Portalâ„¢ Factory Installed

World of Warcraft Preinstall Edition

Killer Xenoâ„¢ Pro

Alienwareâ„¢ High-Performance Liquid Cooling

Is that worth $1500? What else could I do to upgrade it without going too much higher in price?

a solid state drive for your OS/programs/games.

and you could probably build the rig yourself, with the same specifications at a reduced price.

tweedledum said:
a solid state drive for your OS/programs/games.

and you could probably build the rig yourself, with the same specifications at a reduced price.

Yea that.

I got mine for like 1000-1200 i dont really remember, but it's perfectly fine for Dal and everything else I want it to do. inb4 LAWL PR0N

Don't buy prebuilt computers, pretty much always a waste of money. Also recycle what can you use from your computer (oh wait :p). For example, I've had my Razer Diamondback for I think 7-8 years now and it still works just fine.

Not sure what games you play, but if you are just gonna play WoW then I'd get Linux with a distro such as ubuntu. I haven't talked to you forever, so get on xfire. Not sure how much knowledge you have with Linux, but if you do a commandline install of ubuntu it's not such a bloated piece of trash. If you're like me and play classic games like Quake3 and such, Wine/Cedega run them pretty well, except q3 has some sound issues, but you'll get over it =P.

I'm sure when IAT gets home from school he'll be able to post something much more helpful, he is a bit more knowledgeable than me when it comes to computers.

Water Cooling might be overkill for what most people use in their systems. A 120mm fan + heatsink does the job for most gaming. I'm currently running Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks and I have no issues with heat. The Fan also pushes the heat out of your computer just fine.

The only real issue I see is the Graphics card... the 5850 and higher ATIs are now currently ruling graphics, and the 5770 just seems out of place in that list.

Depending on how much stuff you'll have on your computer, you may want to look into getting a 1 TB hard drive. The price isn't that much higher, and the performance is often better.

If you're running triple channel memory, which is standard for most i7 processors, I'd recommend going up to 6 GBs to get more of the full benefits of running triple channel.

I'll just put it this way... build your own computer :p. It'll be cheaper and the products you get are more genuine than what you would get from a large company.

I want to try building my own computer.. is there a guide? i am like.. really computer illiterate but it would be cool to make my own.

anyone mind helping me find a good labtop that will work well with WoW too?

I can never find one but everyone I know can .. =/

the only tricky(annoying as hell) bit with assembling a computer, is when you start plugging in the i/o front panel connectors to your motherboard.

other than that, it's basically an eight piece puzzle with one rule of thumb; static discharges are b-b-b-bad.

How to Build a Computer (with video) - wikiHow contains a fairly detailed step by step guide, but it's easy enough without.

Places like Techreport.com and Tom's Hardware have fairly detailed guides to assembling your own computer.

I'm pretty decent at recommending parts, I've built 30+ computers in the past two months as christmas gifts for people so I'm pretty seasoned at the moment :p.

yeah, status symbol...

the only real viable upgrade to a comp is memory and hard drive. besides this you will buy an almost new rig every 3 years anyway.

and if you never used OSX, you definately do not know what you are talking about.

As long as the standards aren't changed, there's always gonna be ways to make your system last longer.

Think of it as a continuous process. Best of all.. You can actually open your case and have a looksie without voiding your warranty.

As for OSX, it's a good operating system. That's not the issue with macs, the vacuum sealed boxes are. Apple should open up for the public to modify their systems without having to send them back to the manufacturer.

Laptops are a different story, the grass is green on both sides of the fence, some go for macs, some don't.

Water cooling is a waste of money

solid state drives are a waste of money

alienwares are a waste of money

build your own computer

oh and

core 2 quad 2.33Ghz w/ Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

4GB ram

Geforce GTX260 896MB

1TB HDD

ran me less than a grand, built it myself

Ramune said:
Water cooling is a waste of money

solid state drives are a waste of money

alienwares are a waste of money

build your own computer

oh and

core 2 quad 2.33Ghz w/ Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

4GB ram

Geforce GTX260 896MB

1TB HDD

ran me less than a grand, built it myself

SSD's are NOT a waste of money, they run at great speeds.

iaccidentallytwink said:
SSD's are NOT a waste of money, they run at great speeds.

The speeds are great, but the price is a little high right now. I'd say until the price drops a little more, there's no real need for an SSD over a spinning HD... a TB for like 70 bucks is pretty sweet.

Taitaih said:
The speeds are great, but the price is a little high right now. I'd say until the price drops a little more, there's no real need for an SSD over a spinning HD... a TB for like 70 bucks is pretty sweet.

I agree that SSD's are really high in price, but I still think they're worth their pricetag (the reasonable ones that are $500, not the retarded $5k ones). That being said I don't currently own one myself but I'd love to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread