Please add Positive/Negative Reputation Feature to Forums

Salce

Legend
The problem is, that if that get put in people are gonna give rep out to friends / guildies, people might even pay people gold to go and +rep them.
Sure it would be a good idea for some websites, but i just dont think this is one of them, since the website is too "personal".

Plus we already have "like" which in some ways are a way to rep people for a funny comment etc.. Which most likely is what the rep would be used for aswell

So dispite it being a good idea, I just dont see it having a positive influence on this website. :)

Trust me, this thought has come across my mind multiple times and each time, I think of all of the potential issues that could spring up. Abuse is the biggest issue and I can 100% guarantee that the system would get abused.

I would personally love to implement something along these lines.

I will dig further into such a system and see if there is a way to limit the abuse. If there is not, then this idea will never come to fruition.

I agree Shane, I think there would be abuse.

I thought that maybe Vbull(the forum) would have a way to protect against that. If it doesn't then yeah not going to happen.

There are a number of settings that can be used to deal with the concerns you guys have regarding abuse, again this isn't the first site that would have this type of system set up. If you have concerns using a reputation type of system, I would imagine those concerns have probably already been hashed over and solutions have been addressed on other gaming sites prior to this one, the rep system has been around for literally years and applied to a number of types of forums.

I know for a fact there are a couple of different approaches to prevent users from abusing the system, one which restricts the number of +rep you can give to the same user in a given period of time, or restricted to having to give others rep before coming back to that user to give them rep. A minimum amount of rep needs to be gained or a minimum amount of posts, length of account existence, etc. before an account can give rep, etc. Basically the point is that there are protections that would make it so annoying to try and abuse the system that in the end it would not be worth it to a user of the forum to even try circumvent how the rep system works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know for a fact there are a couple of different approaches to prevent users from abusing the system, one which restricts the number of +rep you can give to the same user in a given period of time, or restricted to having to give others rep before coming back to that user to give them rep. A minimum amount of rep needs to be gained or a minimum amount of posts, length of account existence, etc. before an account can give rep, etc.

I've seen some of these anti-abuse systems working on other forums, and most of them are probably available as premade scripts/plugins for vB.

I don't think negative rep is a good idea though. That would cause more drama than anything, and people should be clicking the report button not a "minus rep" button.

I don't think negative rep is a good idea though. That would cause more drama than anything, and people should be clicking the report button not a "minus rep" button.

Although I agree in some cases drama could be generated by someone giving someone else negative rep, the idea that there is positive and negative reinforcement or consequences to how people behave on the forum, and it translates to how the community or peers perceive that person is kind of the point. This will again make a user think twice before posting up something that is not constructive especially if they are worried they will be perceived badly by others viewing their rep. Humans in the end are social animals regardless of how "real" the rep reporting works it is still something that will hit close to home especially to the younger kids that see public perception as everything, especially in the this community lol.

I am a member on other forums and have seen the positive/negative reputation system in practice on other sites using vbulletin and I can tell you that for every instance of drama that is generated there are literally thousands of other instances where the system is a overall good for the community. The rep system offers something that would be difficult otherwise to do, allowing the community to police themselves through peer review. I agree that a report button should still be available as it is on other sites to get mods involved if something needs to be reported, however the rep system is more than just a reporting mechanism for questionable posts, it is a community tool that will help to support better behavior overall on forums and most importantly support and encourage members to post up more constructive information which other members will value and appreciate and in return reward and recognize. The system will inspire creative competition from the productive members of the community and at the same time help to convince those that may not be so constructive to get involved as they see a direct cause and effect to their actions on the forum through positive reinforcement.

One thing I should point out is there is a difference between the rep system I'm describing and the "like" system already in place. Some differences:

1. Graphical representation of rep (think about how rep works in WoW usually numbers aren't shown instead its a bar made up of little bars indicating a number perhaps 1 rep bar would be 50 rep points, etc.)
2. When you mouse over the bar it shows messaging describing the individuals rep rank or how close they are to getting another bar of rep.
3. A user starts out with a gray bar (neutral) but can go red if rep is below zero otherwise little green bars start to be added based on rep points achieved.
4. Perhaps ranks could be added that give rewards such as access to otherwise restricted forum capabilities, I can go into these in more detail if this system gets seriously considered.

Here is an example screenshot so you can see an visual of a rep system in practice:

8xnBg.jpg

and it translates to how the community or peers perceive that person is kind of the point. This will again make a user think twice before posting up something that is not constructive especially if they are worried they will be perceived badly by others viewing their rep.

They will be perceived negatively when their bad post/s are read by others, and as a result they won't gain rep. In my opinion, I don't think it's the site's duty (nor a healthy objective) to "stamp" a message on some users effectively saying "this is a bad user". People shouldn't feel worried when contributing to a thread, but instead be rewarded if they do post constructively (I've seen/used rep systems that just use positive rep and they work very well). Afterall, if they are completely unconstructive (trolling / flaming etc) then that's when the mods step in and do something about it.

and I can tell you that for every instance of drama that is generated there are literally thousands of other instances where the system is a overall good for the community. The rep system offers something that would be difficult otherwise to do, allowing the community to police themselves through peer review.

I don't doubt at all that a rep system would be a good addition, I just think it can be an equally good feature without the need for the added drama that will arise from negative rep. Even with anti-abuse systems in place, rival guilds or arena teams would give negative rep to each other for no fair/justifiable reason.

Honestly I don't think the concerns you point out are going to end up being warranted, it may just be a painted picture of something that may end up not even being an issue depending on how the system is implemented.

Think about it this way, we can start with a positive/negative implementation of the rep. system, if problems arise just comment out any specific functionality. To some extent beta testing will be needed in any case. There is flexibility in this, nothing would be set in stone the administrators can make adjustments as needed. Worst case scenario the admin is out an hour or two to implement this, best case scenario we have a new tool on forums that users will enjoy and help foster a better community with more quality content for the site.

I have looked into and I cannot see a way to prevent abuse. I am not inclined to add such a system at this time.

My apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread