Plans for College/graduation?

Tom Ganks

So I was thinking as soon as I go out to college (I'm a senior in high-school) I would practice world of Warcraft endgame pvp and learn how to macro and hit more than 3 buttons. Once I master this I will practice ganking level 20 trials and practicing WSG trick jumps. After, I will set out to Swifty's gaming house and become famous on his 24 hour livestream by asking people for subs to my Youtube channel when everyone's sleeping. After I get enough subscriber's I will make money off of sponsors and give razors to random people to get more people to subscribe. In the end, I will sell T-shirts and trinkets on my Website. The website will be tagged with keywords such as "hot babes" and "not safe for work" and "mlg pro". From then on, I will become more and more popular until I become the Wolf of Wallstreet, screwing super models and doing tons of cocaine.

If that doesn't work, I'll consider going into a community college studying Autocad and 3'D modeling for Pipelines, Rigs, and what have ye', then progressing to a 4-year University to continue my studies and what not.

Last edited:
or just be a rly good truck driver and work in the oil sands. saw u can make like 100k a year

The KGB have a great health plan. Not so great life insurance, but it's not like they'd hire people with vulnerable relatives.

or just be a rly good truck driver and work in the oil sands. saw u can make like 100k a year

Not bragging, but my father's a welding inspector in the oilfields in south Texas and he brings home about 150k+ a year after taxes and such. He basically sits in his truck or walks around watching the welders do their stuff. He gives a couple orders here and there, but he surprisingly has a valued and steady job. 4 years ago he was unemployed and times were tough. I tell ya, it's a money tree.

Last edited:
When i graduate college next year, I'll be a toolpusher in the oilfiend and making 100k starting out for a company in Okalahoma.

For those of you working or wanting to work in oil, yes, there is quick money - but quick money ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS comes with other not-so-great side "benefits." Be careful of speculators, be careful of the contracts you sign and so on. There's a reason the smartest people you know are taking jobs that pay half that salary coming out of college (because trust me, no one makes 100k a year "doing nothing" without eventually paying for it).

For those of you working or wanting to work in oil, yes, there is quick money - but quick money ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS comes with other not-so-great side "benefits." Be careful of speculators, be careful of the contracts you sign and so on. There's a reason the smartest people you know are taking jobs that pay half that salary coming out of college (because trust me, no one makes 100k a year "doing nothing" without eventually paying for it).

I'm actually going to college for it, and even if you wanted to just jump right in, it would take a decade being with one company to work your way up to make six figures. Even if the Oilfield does crash, having a college degree always helps with keeping your job, but the oilfield isn't expected to crash within the next 10 years, but you never know. And there is always cons to your job, for instance, if you have a family, being in the oil industry would not be for you. Long hours and sometimes far from home. Oilfield is quick cash, but has huge disadvantages, and is only right for certain people. I guess it's just where I live, but the oilfield is pretty popular around here, and companies are hiring out the ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually going to college for it, and even if you wanted to just jump right in, it would take a decade being with one company to work your way up to make six figures. Even if the Oilfield does crash, having a college degree always helps with keeping your job, but the oilfield isn't expected to crash within the next 10 years, but you never know. And there is always cons to your job, for instance, if you have a family, being in the oil industry would not be for you. Long hours and sometimes far from home. Oilfield is quick cash, but has huge disadvantages, and is only right for certain people. I guess it's just where I live, but the oilfield is pretty popular around here, and companies are hiring out the ass.

That's fair. I wasn't really talking to you to be honest! You seem like you're in college for that field. I was more talking to the guy talking about his dad making 150k for doing nothing.

They pay a lot and give pretty good benefits. But on the other side, you might have to travel a lot, (for example my dad has been to Kansas, Colorado, and multiple texas sites within the past year) and it puts a toll on ya. Unless you can find a job on a rig or find a contract for a considerable amount of months/years close to home. Also your wage fluctuates from high to low sometimes and it can make it hard to be approved to build a home or purchase certain properties.

My dad's pay wasn't as high when he first started out as a utility inspector, but that position isn't a very steady position to be in, since the requirements are not as harsh and the demand for them isn't so great due to the abundance of them. As soon as he took some welding inspection courses, it's a position that is greatly needed and can go a long way without worrying without finding another job. But it's also about who you know, and who can get you in the industry.

Last edited:

the smartest people i know all make over 50k post grad....that being said, they also couldnt handle working in/around an oil field. theyre the teachers, nerdy and or cubicle-y type. or lawyer types (blech)

the smartest people i know all make over 50k post grad....that being said, they also couldnt handle working in/around an oil field. theyre the teachers, nerdy and or cubicle-y type. or lawyer types (blech)

Interesting. The only people I know making over 50k work in business/finance (right after grad). The rest either had to go to grad school, become far more senior or get really, really lucky.

And yes, you're 100% right. Being able to work in an oilfield definitely cuts some of us out of the race ><

ye i know people working at goldman and jp morgan, but also packaging is a big money maker. msu has the #1 program in the country, and if u have a pulse and liek a 2.5-3 gpa u can easily make 50-70k, if not more, at your first job
teachers obviously make pretty crap money, but i know a few who got into teach for america and similar programs where u make prolly around 30k a year, but they also pay for your masters, so definitely over 50 with that tossed in.
but ya, none of the "smart" people making 50+ after school that i know could hack it in an oil field or any out door environment with any physical labor

Users who are viewing this thread