Music and Intelligence? (Sensitive Topic)

Great analysis with excellent information. Thank you :)

Despite acknowledging that correlation does not equal causation, the title proceeds to do just that (presumably for clickbait reasons). The title of the article says that, "the secret of your high SAT Scores is hidden in your taste of music". This is statistically erroneous. It's very doubtful that the music people listen to is affecting their SAT at all; it is much more likely that other factors are causing this. In psychology, any bivariate study, which this is, is usually an oversimplification, which is again acknowledged by the author. Usually, in any psychology study, a multivariate analysis is conducted. A multivariate analysis tests for multiple variables. The problem with bivariate studies is that they neglect other factors which may be more statistically significant.
Despite what the author seems to suggest, this study doesn't actually confirm that grades themselves are affected by the music music you listen to; the correlation just shows that people who perform lower on the SATs are more likely to listen to a specific type of music. The data does not suggest that the music you listen to is affecting your grades though. For example, music is largely influenced by culture. In lower socioeconomic areas, genres like rap and hip-hop are more frequent. Indie/Alternative is more common among the middle-class. Therefore, it could be other factors, such as economic background, which are causing the lower grades. This study did not control for factors like economic background, etc. A multivariate study would have.
Also, the author does not go into detail about sampling methods used, so I can't really comment on that. But, anything which says "data collected from self-reported social media" leaves a lot to be desired. Any statistician will say that the methods used to collect data is more important than the results that data yields, but this article does not discuss in detail the way they collected data.
tl;dr This article is most likely bullshit.
Source: I'm a finance and actuarial science major.

Also, most music today is consumable garbage. Good music is timeless. Most of the shit people listen to these days could be made by a 17-year-old high school student on garage band... oh wait, that's lil pump.

Last edited:
Despite acknowledging that correlation does not equal causation, the title proceeds to do just that (presumably for clickbait reasons). The title of the article says that, "the secret of your high SAT Scores is hidden in your taste of music". This is statistically erroneous. It's very doubtful that the music people listen to is affecting their SAT at all; it is much more likely that other factors are causing this. In psychology, any bivariate study, which this is, is usually an oversimplification, which is again acknowledged by the author. Usually, in any psychology study, a multivariate analysis is conducted. A multivariate analysis tests for multiple variables. The problem with bivariate studies is that they neglect other factors which may be more statistically significant.
Despite what the author seems to suggest, this study doesn't actually confirm that grades themselves are affected by the music music you listen to; the correlation just shows that people who perform lower on the SATs are more likely to listen to a specific type of music. The data does not suggest that the music you listen to is affecting your grades though. For example, music is largely influenced by culture. In lower socioeconomic areas, genres like rap and hip-hop are more frequent. Indie/Alternative is more common among the middle-class. Therefore, it could be other factors, such as economic background, which are causing the lower grades. This study did not control for factors like economic background, etc. A multivariate study would have.
Also, the author does not go into detail about sampling methods used, so I can't really comment on that. But, anything which says "data collected from self-reported social media" leaves a lot to be desired. Any statistician will say that the methods used to collect data is more important than the results that data yields, but this article does not discuss in detail the way they collected data.
tl;dr This article is most likely bullshit.
Source: I'm a finance and actuarial science major.

Also, most music today is consumable garbage. Good music is timeless. Most of the shit people listen to these days could be made by a 17-year-old high school student on garage band... oh wait, that's lil pump.

I would have given you an informative like if you didn't insult lil pump

What about people who don't particularly like listening to any genre of music?

Imho the way "gangsta" rap ruined the rap-game was by introducing an unreal amount of fakeness into the mainstream music and everyday life. Someone already brought up NWA, well, the difference between the group members' backgrounds and their lyrics is not a secret. Yet they got away with it.

The hip-hop was quickly growing in popularity, and became a very desirable instrument for manipulating people (quoted post). Not to mention that things which somehow become mainstream, quickly downgrade and lose any sense because of the need to satisfy desires of millions of people, whose views can often contradict.

What we hear nowadays is the result of the fake being accepted and even praised upon by a majority of people. Voice is autotune (fake), so-called artists propagate drugs just to get high/get by (escape from the real world to the fake one), etc.

Everything written above is just a humble opinion from a ukrainian's pov. Glabalisation absolutely seized my country, and nowadays youth in my country listens to "sub-genre called mumble rap" almost exclusively. Not gonna lie, I feel like conscious hip-hop fans are represented by just me. I keep wondering whether the corporations/governments will succeed in raising pure consumer/materialistic generation and what is my place in the world occupied by such people.

Peace.

P.S. I recommend this channel of D-Nice to everyone. It contains some very interesting (at least to me) interviews: https://www.youtube.com/user/dnicetv/videos The one ft. Special Ed is truly on point.
*Tips tin-foil fedora* Ukranian's woke af. It's a complex issue to articulate correctly, but well said.

just never been too into listening to music
I was just going to mention people that aren't as interested in music at all. They're overlooked in studies like this. I will say that I find it difficult not to be passionate about music when it's easily one of the healthiest ways to have fun out there and certainly beats World of Warcraft as something worth investing time in ;)

I heard Stephen Hawking was blasting Gummo by 6ix9ine before he died

Users who are viewing this thread