General Mocha Guide: Flawless Weapon Swap on Attack Macros

Mocha

Legendary

Introduction:
Hello everyone. I have recently returned to twinking thanks to BCC and upon my return I had encountered a familiar age old complication that many twinks of all brackets may face from time to time. I didn't have a main and I didn't play classic, but I was gifted a few Shadowfangs which is how I was reminded of this issue. So I switched over to my og Mocha on retail (RIP) to get my macros for the solution. Since I was reminded of this issue I decided to "do that thing that Mocha does" and make a guide about it. There will be color coding, don't you worry about that <3

Issue:
The issue is rather niche, but say for example you would like spammable attack macros that have all of your weapon swapping baked into them without using any more keybinds or gear selecting equipment sets, addons etc.

Well if you have more than one of that weapon in your inventory, (for example, Shadowfang with Lifestealing and Shadowfang with Fiery) this will not work. Instead upon spamming your attack macro, you will endlessly be equipping and switching your weapon which btw also uses a GCD.

The Dream:
Spam Button 1: Equip Assassin's Blade --> Ambush
Spam Button 2: Equip Shadowfang --> Sinister Strike

The Reality:
Spam Button 1: Equip Assassin's Blade --> Ambush
Spam Button 2: Equip MH weapon --> Equip other MH weapon --> Equip first MH weapon again --> Equip second MH weapon again --> Now you're just weapon swapping the same weapon with no end to this --> Ooh pretty colors tho --> Wait, this is frustrating --> Forget this --> I'm going to reconsider my life choices --> Maybe I'll right click my inventory every time

Solution:
This is rather particular and if you have no idea what you are doing, just carefully follow along and pretend you're a haxor gawd macro legend. In order to give you the solution, we are going to use the example mentioned above: Assassin's Blade + Ambush, Shadowfang + Sinister Strike and we have multiple Shadowfangs enchanted in our inventory. However, this issue is not unique to any one bracket nor item. You could experience this same issue in any bracket or expansion.​

Step 1: Make your simple weapon swap + Ambush macro:
Code:
#showtooltip Ambush
/stopattack
/equipslot 16 Assassin's Blade
/equipslot 17 Cruel Barb
/cast Ambush

Step 2: Make your simple weapon swap + Sinister Strike macro:
Code:
#showtooltip Sinister Strike
/startattack
/equipslot 16 Shadowfang
/equipslot 17 Thief's Blade
/cast Sinister Strike
The above macro will only continue to cycle through all of the Shadowfangs in your inventory if you have more than 1, this is the problem***

Step 3:
Equip Two of your Shadowfangs on your character

Step 4: Copy and paste the following inquiry script below in chat or make a macro out of it for later use:
Code:
/run local function id(s) return string.match(GetInventoryItemLink("player",s) or "","(item:.+:%d+)") end ChatFrame1:AddMessage("MH:"..id(16).."\nOH:"..id(17))

Step 5:
YcrpkrY.jpg

Write down, take a screenshot, take a picture on your phone, note pad or whatever you have to do in order to record the returned data. This is giving you the specific item ID for each of your two currently equipped items even if they are the same weapon but with different enchants. Equip any items you want to get the correct IDs that apply to your individual situation.

Step 6: Replace the intended specific item ID that was returned in the applicable attack macros:
Code:
#showtooltip Sinister Strike
/startattack
/equipslot 16 item:1482:1898
/equipslot 17 Thief's Blade
/cast Sinister Strike
Any time you have multiple of the same weapon, you have to retrieve the IDs (step 4) and replace them in your macros. This is now spammable and will function properly!

Step 7: Pat yourself on the back, you did it.
Step 8: Copy paste my work into your own guides w/o any crediting me like everyone else has done for the past 15 years lol

Gear Set Swap Macro:
Code:
/equip 0 1
/equip 0 2
/equip 0 3
/equip 0 4
/equip 0 5

Description: Equipment Set Swapping Macros are MUCH easier and require no addons or equipment selector features that do not exist in classic. All you have to do is organize your inventory properly and create a macro that corresponds with the bag ID item.

Code:
/equip (bag number) (bag slot)

The first number is your Bag and the second number is the Bag Item Slot. Your Backpack is 0, your first bag is 1, your 2nd bag is 2 and so on. The slots go from top leftmost ---> right, then row two left to right.

Hitting this macro again will swap you back to your initial gear set. This is amazing as a FC set toggle.

More macros found here in my Macros you NEED To Use Guide

Closing COLORS:
Now change the above variables in any areas you need to produce your applicable macros. You can also easily take the weapon swapping out of the attack macro and use it on its own, if you'd prefer to make a weapon swap macro that toggles instead of having it baked into your attack. Your numbers should all be different. I'll provide a few of my specific recommendations for TBC Rogue that I used to use back in the day in 19s (which is what I will always be at the core) Mainhand Weapon is on Top, Offhand Weapon is on Bottom.​

General Use Vs Twinks
Shadowfang + Lifestealing
Thief's Blade + 15 Agility

Against FCs / Non Twinks / Cloth / Hunter Pets (Sub OH SF for Cruel Barb if you don't want to use 3 SFs)
Shadowfang + Fiery Weapon
Shadowfang + Fiery Weapon

Ambush Open
Assassin's Blade + Superior Striking
Cruel Barb + 15 Agility

Rogue vs Rogue (Evasion Popped on Opponent and Low Health)
Assassin's Blade + 15 Agility
Thief's Blade + 15 Agility

Against FCs / Non Twinks / Cloth / Hunter Pets - No Shadowfang
Cruel Barb + Fiery Weapon
Cruel Barb + Fiery Weapon

The "Duel Me Bro" Troll meme - Get Debuffs EARLY In Fight, switch cuz bad
Cursed Felblade + Unholy Weapon
Cursed Felblade + Unholy Weapon

~ Mocha ~

Last edited:
Great guide, and thanks for the effort. Weapon and enchant ID macros have been used since retail tbc/wotlk days, but it is useful to have it explained step by step for people that may still be unfamiliar. It could also be helpful to add that these macros don't work when you try to equip the same weapon with the same enchant for both main hand and off hand, and in tbc this needs to be addressed by using addons such as itemrack.

I only have one issue with using Sinister Strike macros as a way to go back to your original weapon set after an ambush. As you will be using different main hand Shadowfangs with different enchants for specific scenarios, using your Sinister Strike macro for the swap would imply you now need to macro and bind multiple Sinister Strikes. At which point I would prefer to just use my normal weapon set swap macros after the ambush and have just one Sinister Strike.

I have been trying to put both weapon swaps and ambush on the same macro, but while simple macros like this work on wotlk servers, they are not working here in tbc:

#showtooltip Ambush(Rank 1)

/equipslot 16 item:1935:1897:0:0:0:0:0:0

/cast Ambush(Rank 1)

/equipslot 16 item:1482:1898:0:0:0:0:0:0

If anyone got something similar to this which works for tbc, that would be nice.

Last edited:
Great guide, and thanks for the effort. Weapon and enchant ID macros have been used since retail tbc/wotlk days, but it is useful to have it explained step by step for people that may still be unfamiliar. It could also be helpful to add that these macros don't work when you try to equip the same weapon with the same enchant for both main hand and off hand, and in tbc this needs to be addressed by using addons such as itemrack.

I only have one issue with using Sinister Strike macros as a way to go back to your original weapon set after an ambush. As you will be using different main hand Shadowfangs with different enchants for specific scenarios, using your Sinister Strike macro for the swap would imply you now need to macro and bind multiple Sinister Strikes. At which point I would prefer to just use my normal weapon set swap macros after the ambush and have just one Sinister Strike.

I have been trying to put both weapon swaps and ambush on the same macro, but while simple macros like this work on wotlk servers, they are not working here in tbc:

#showtooltip Ambush(Rank 1)

/equipslot 16 item:1935:1897:0:0:0:0:0:0

/cast Ambush(Rank 1)

/equipslot 16 item:1482:1898:0:0:0:0:0:0

If anyone got something similar to this which works for tbc, that would be nice.
Thanks for the reply mate,

I do have multiple sinister strike macros but if you didn’t want to have that then you can make a separate keybind for the weapon swap with no attack and then use a normal sinister strike. I like having two sinister strike macros (for each enchant) so my muscle memory knows exactly which “mode” I’m trying to use without having to look at my weapon to make sure I correctly toggled my weapons.

Also I have a stance stealth bar that overlays my main attack bar, so when I’m in stealth stance, my ambush is 3 for example and when I am out of stealth stance, my main sinister stike macro is also 3. I can try noodling with some possibilities to address what you’re trying to do and I’ll get back to you if I find anything that works.

Users who are viewing this thread