Magic Dust

After watching UnMercy 5, I was reminded of Magic Dust. So, I checked it out on WoWHead and Thottbot and no one had said it had been changed. So I took my mage out there and did some farming.

4 laps, 5 dust (12 kills per lap, 60 kills...) Anyway, i was ready to test it out but as far as I can tell, it doesn't work on 80's anymore. I'll be testing it out my 36 rogue tomorrow I bet since it's not BoP.

Anyone know if they made it so you can't use it on players anymore? Or just level 80's. [in 3.0.3 people say they used it fine]

On the day Ordo Disilluminati arrived on the blackout battlegroup I used a magic dust on a pally and it gave him a full 30sec sleep. Since he already used his trinket on my gouge. So I am certain it works on low lvl players but if I am correct the change of hitting higher players decreases very fast past a certain lvl (I believe past lvl 60).

And the second problem with using it on higher players is that even if it hits it checks if it breaks every second. It also does this on low lvl but the changes of breaking are a lot lower there.

Where do you farm this stuff? Who/what drops it? I've seen a twink rogue use it in a 19 bg and destroy 3 other twinks. :eek: Sap, Magic Dust and stun lock the third. Once one is gone, bandage/lifeblood, rinse and repeat.

I remember farming those. They drop from Dust elems. in Westfall.

~Zuty

Naturaltalnt said:
Correct, Dust Devils in Westfall.

Wowhead says its a 45% drop rate, but from my expierence, its closer to 10%

I was running lower than 10% on my run. About 60 kills , and 5 dust...

Anyway, since it works i may try and 'farm' it a bit more for my 39, using it as a means of a 2nd blind is beyond phenomenal.

The drop rate use to be alot higher several years ago. I use to farm them all the time for my twinks, but then i tended to forget about using them during fights. I still have quite a few stacks on most of my toons, checked my 80 Lock and lol'ed still had 10 in his inventory.

Years ago when twinks first started people also used [ITEM]Large Rope Net[/ITEM] which was sadly removed from the game, but used to drop in VC.

~Zuty

with all the random achievement whores in STV arena, I should use this...never thought of it before.

Mazurati said:
with all the random achievement whores in STV arena, I should use this...never thought of it before.

went there just now (3 am) and there were 6 80 horde, was like "wtf.." and now that they have moved the GY to just outside (which is totally bullshit) its now even more impossible to relog to twink :<

I've been really lucky with Gurubashi so far - when I go (midnight my time, 6am server time) there's usually only one or two that my brother happily kills for me so I've yet to have to blow any magic dust trying to get it.

I love magic dust though - especially since a lot of people don't know what it is or bother to farm it so it has a special wtf/annoyance factor.

Most ppl havent been playing long enough to know about it, and the ppl that have been playing forgot about it.

Magic Dust is now dead. Same tooltip, but when you try to use it, it just says "fizzled."

I tested this on a level 10 (minimum level to use the dust) on a level 12 bear.

wowhead.com reports that this is NOT a bug, but "working as intended" (!?)

And another obscure secret weapon gets the nerf hammer.

The magic dust does have a failure rate, especially against higher level mobs, but that was a "miss", not a "fizzle". So that does indeed bode ill.

I'll try it out the next chance I get.

Bwappo

It still works in the 19 bracket.

Have you tried it since patch 3.2? I tried it with a level 10 character vs. a level 12 bear and it still fizzled. Maybe it's only vs. other players now?

Users who are viewing this thread