Mage info

Hello there, so I was thinking of updating my 19 mage for WoD, I've tried it for a couple of games in prepatch but don't really have a good impression on how the class is at 19 right now.

So, I guess fire is not really worth considering as a spec now due to subpar damage and no scorch? Hence I would probably be going arcane or frost. Is frost even worth going for in DPS purposes? I got a max stam set (pretty much the same as this but not with new chants yet Firefleas @ Azgalor - Community - World of Warcraft ) which I will be updating later for CCbotting/FCing, but before that I would like to get some advice on how to gear for DPS mage and what's the more beneficial spec.

I know arcane gets some mad damage when you manage to gain some arcane stacks, but with the meta atm where melee is recking most things, I'm not sure how easy it'd be to get the arcane charges in the first place. But what I'm afraid of is I'd do no damage at all going frost.

TL;DR what would be the go-to spec atm for DPS (mostly skirmishes, but bgs aswell), and which of the new ring/neck chants I should get? Don't know what to pick between frost/arcane and haste/versa/crit/(ms) chants.

armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Scrùb/advanced
(Got all the looms, just couldn't bother sending over.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Imgayfoteamv @ Suramar - Community - World of Warcraft

Missing some gear but i pretty much go full versatility. Haste is very good as well. I play nothing but arcane for the most part other than occasionally in 3s when nova is worth running against warr's but arcane is definitely a game changer and with ice flows it isn't hard at all to gain stacks. I typically crit for 1k or so arcane blasts with ele force on top of that. It does AMAZING damage and with the CC it provides it can turn the tables of a game completely in your direction.

Arcane has better damage, gold flecked with SP on. Mindthrust with SP, probably the 4/4/4 boots or spidersilk with icewalker in 6.1 with the speed nerf. Versatility or haste on rings/neck/cloak.
SP on staff is probably better than jade spirit, but not sure about that.

Imgayfoteamv @ Suramar - Community - World of Warcraft

Missing some gear but i pretty much go full versatility. Haste is very good as well. I play nothing but arcane for the most part other than occasionally in 3s when nova is worth running against warr's but arcane is definitely a game changer and with ice flows it isn't hard at all to gain stacks. I typically crit for 1k or so arcane blasts with ele force on top of that. It does AMAZING damage and with the CC it provides it can turn the tables of a game completely in your direction.

Okay thanks for the info, it's nice to hear mages still do well @ 19 :) It didn't feel like they would be too good back when there were no crazy haste/versa enchants in prepatch :D Think I'm gonna try out a haste build, one does not simply say no to faster casting times.

Any thoughts on Mark of Warsong - Spell - World of Warcraft ? Full haste with the new chants + this wep chant sounds pretty crazy to me. I know ele force does good damage too but still, that wep chant seems to give a shitload of haste :D

Arcane has better damage, gold flecked with SP on. Mindthrust with SP, probably the 4/4/4 boots or spidersilk with icewalker in 6.1 with the speed nerf. Versatility or haste on rings/neck/cloak.
SP on staff is probably better than jade spirit, but not sure about that.

I'm probably going magefist with glove reinforcements, 9stam is imo more beneficial than the 4sp or w/e you get from the sp chant. Yeah jade spirit is shit, I got another staff with ele force so gonna work with that from the start. Gonna try sp at some point.

Okay thanks for the info, it's nice to hear mages still do well @ 19 :) It didn't feel like they would be too good back when there were no crazy haste/versa enchants in prepatch :D Think I'm gonna try out a haste build, one does not simply say no to faster casting times.

Any thoughts on Mark of Warsong - Spell - World of Warcraft ? Full haste with the new chants + this wep chant sounds pretty crazy to me. I know ele force does good damage too but still, that wep chant seems to give a shitload of haste :D

Ele force now and forever!

Sup mate, i have tried the mage these two last week, i did a mage orc for the 14 buff spell and i was going with full spell set (i don't have my char anymore i deleted to make a CC one) my gear was something like using the two spell trinkets looms with the black widow ring, i was near of the 2 hp with 170 spell + -, we did some wg and i tried it in arcane spec, the damage is really good, something like 1K2, 1K3 crit with the ele force included (and 4 buff arcane).
I also made a cc mage, here is his armory : http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/eldrethalas/Hantanocks/advanced
i tried to make a same one of Firefleas, but with some edit, you can see that i play with hast, but i really think that versa enchants are better, because the %hast doest worth the 14% of versa imo, i will try to finish my gear, hat fishing missing and the stam brass 4 sram one missing, and ofc i will try with Mark of Warsong, i don't really know if this enchant pop often, if it is maybe the hast would worth because 50 hast increased seems amazing.

As concern the fire spec, if you go full crit gear (walking boots, noble robe etc) with the enchants crit, i think that would not be better damage than the arcane spec, fire damage really sucks atm :< ..

I hope that you understood my bad english :S ..

First of all, nice char Mesi :)
i'd say get another set with the haste enchants includimg the voice combulater(For shorter interrupts) i already have close to 40% haste on my p2p lvl 20 so with the new haste heirlooms i think you can get a simmilair amount and this is the better choice for support in the midfield atleast that's my opinion. And also you can use icefloes to cast 6 moving spells back to back wich always makes it easy for me to build up to 4 charges with arcane. Combine this with a swiftness potion and you can keep up with any fc while bombing him ^^
best of luck and let me know if there's anything i can help with :)

I got my haste set almost ready now, been running frost @ 2s so far due to the big amount of rogues I tend to encounter :p Seems to work pretty well aswell, with the fast casts. Can pump quite a few frostbolts between focus sheeps, and EF is doing work on the damage department. Gonna try arcane later, for now frost seems to be a fun spec to play.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Scrùb/advanced

Might be changing a couple of things later.

Thanks for everyone for all the help!

mage is sick if u go full stam haste like everything where ur not stam to haste.. works really good with priest in arena playd proper cuz priest carries the dmg and mage cc is pretty clean.

haste seems to offer counter pressure vs the op shit, cuz of faster poly casts.. like resto shamans arms warrs ferals, where vers just does nothing cuz dmg reduction is pretty insignificant from not being 100% of the vers value like how it effects damage, plus mage dmg is already not that useful just not significant compared to cc's being used proper, vers doesn't have the ability to save us cloth people from ferals by reducing a 3.5k bite to like 3200... all that happens then is they wait till ur 90% instead of 100% to ferocious bite crit lol

mage is sick if u go full stam haste like everything where ur not stam to haste.. works really good with priest in arena playd proper cuz priest carries the dmg and mage cc is pretty clean.

haste seems to offer counter pressure vs the op shit, cuz of faster poly casts.. like resto shamans arms warrs ferals, where vers just does nothing cuz dmg reduction is pretty insignificant from not being 100% of the vers value like how it effects damage, plus mage dmg is already not that useful just not significant compared to cc's being used proper, vers doesn't have the ability to save us cloth people from ferals by reducing a 3.5k bite to like 3200... all that happens then is they wait till ur 90% instead of 100% to ferocious bite crit lol

I would like you post but all out of likes for today :p Thanks for the input, so far I've seemed to have similar experiences in the arena as you described. I guess the people queing skirms on US are on average more geared and play stronger specs than here on EU, because I've only really faced priest/rogue/mage/sham so far. The amount of cc is amazing vs healer and rogue teams, I hope this spec will do well vs the more fotm specs aswell when I start facing them :p

When you get some good rng and get a few insta pyro blasts it's fun. Also ef and pyro blast dot is nice

Hello there, so I was thinking of updating my 19 mage for WoD, I've tried it for a couple of games in prepatch but don't really have a good impression on how the class is at 19 right now.

So, I guess fire is not really worth considering as a spec now due to subpar damage and no scorch? Hence I would probably be going arcane or frost. Is frost even worth going for in DPS purposes? I got a max stam set (pretty much the same as this but not with new chants yet Firefleas @ Azgalor - Community - World of Warcraft ) which I will be updating later for CCbotting/FCing, but before that I would like to get some advice on how to gear for DPS mage and what's the more beneficial spec.

I know arcane gets some mad damage when you manage to gain some arcane stacks, but with the meta atm where melee is recking most things, I'm not sure how easy it'd be to get the arcane charges in the first place. But what I'm afraid of is I'd do no damage at all going frost.

TL;DR what would be the go-to spec atm for DPS (mostly skirmishes, but bgs aswell), and which of the new ring/neck chants I should get? Don't know what to pick between frost/arcane and haste/versa/crit/(ms) chants.

armory: Scrùb @ Draenor - Community - World of Warcraft
(Got all the looms, just couldn't bother sending over.)

Fleas!

Took him from the armory thread, sick gear tbh :D also lied a bit, after some further investigation of his gear (+ head chant), I gotta admit my FC/stam gear aint quite as ebic as that.

Users who are viewing this thread