General Macros You NEED To Use

Mocha

Legendary
Introduction:

So it appears as though not many people are aware of some great macros. I'm all about efficiency and I try my best to reduce redundant spells and/or keybinds and take up as little action bar space as possible while not compromising gameplay.

I've always been quite good at creating macros that some may not have known were possible and here is a list of some of my macros I highly suggest most players use. This will not be a 100% guide with every macro I use... just some of the more particularly advantageous ones. If you are interested in PvP, you will never perform at a high caliber if you do not utilize macros and keybinding. These macros are must haves in my opinion for anyone interested in PvPing who's at least got the basic grasp on keybinding. They are not extremely advanced and although they may look somewhat complicated, if you read the asterisks and change the spells to fit what you're looking to do, just copy the below code into the in game macro builder and test them out and you'll understand the practicality of these macros and why everyone should use them. I understand this guide may be particularly wordy, but please read every asterisk, note, description and application as they're all very important pieces of information to aid in functionality of these macros.

Hax Mouseover Friendly Macro:
Code:
#showtooltip HelpSpell
/cast [@mouseover,help] [help,nodead] [@targettarget,help,nodead] [@player] HelpSpell

Description: Cast a helpful spell at a friendly when you are mousing over a friendly, or if you are not mousing over anyone, you will cast a help spell at your currently targeted friendly player.

Application: This should replace all of your @ target macros and all of your @ mouseover versions of those macros. Long story short, you do not need 2 separate macros for the same spell, one being @ target and another being @ mouseover, you can just use this one instead to do both. This macro overrules the current target which is important because since mousing over a target is quicker, it gives priority to the mouseover target. If you want to cast at your current target, simply don't mouseover anyone (as you wouldn't do anyways) and the macro will be treated as a normal @ target spell.

*HelpSpell can be anything you want to cast on a friendly target such as renew, regrowth, bubble, dispell, slowfall, life grip, LOH, and most importantly, normal heals. You can use absolutely anything you would cast at a friendly player.

Hax Mouseover Enemy Macro:
Code:
#showtooltip HarmSpell
/stopcasting
/cast [@mouseover,harm] [harm,nodead] [@targettarget,harm,nodead] [@harm] HarmSpell

Description: Cast a harm spell at an enemy when you are mousing over an enemy, or if you are not mousing over anyone, you will cast a harm spell at your currently targeted enemy.

Application: This should replace all of your @ target macros and all of your @ mouseover versions of those macros. Long story short, you do not need 2 separate macros for the same spell, one being @ target and another being @ mouseover, you can just use this one instead to do both. This macro overrules the current target which is important because since mousing over a target is quicker, it gives priority to the mouseover target. If you want to cast at your current target, simply don't mouseover anyone (as you wouldn't do anyways) and the macro will be treated as a normal @ target spell.

*HarmSpell can be anything you want to cast on a hostile target or neutral target such as counterspell, spellsteal, moonfire, purge, shadow word: pain, and most importantly CC abilities. Absolutely anything and everything that you would ever cast on a hostile target.
*I suggest you put /stopcasting for things such as counterspell / windshear / purge etc that need to be done asap. For normal cast spells, do not include this line in the code.

Hax Mouseover + Focus Enemy Macro:
Code:
#showtooltip counter shot
/stopcasting
/stopattack
/cancelaura Aspect of the turtle
/cast [@mouseover,harm] [@focus,harm,nodead] [harm,nodead] [@targettarget,harm,nodead] [@harm] counter shot

Description: Cast a harm spell at an enemy when you are mousing over an enemy, or if you are not mousing over anyone, you will cast a harm spell at your focus target. If you have no focus it will cast at your current target.

Application: I love this option so much for most of my CCs / Interrupts etc. as it's extremely versatile. It helps when I have an immediate reaction of needing to mouseover on top of my current focus / target interrupts / CCs and I need an immediate mouseover prioritized.

Hax Mouseover Easy Friendly / Enemy Macro
Code:
#showtooltip moonfire
/cleartarget
/stopcasting
/use [@mouseover,harm][harm] moonfire;[@mouseover,help][help][@player] rejuvenation

Description: Cast a helpful spell at a friendly target that you are mousing over, or cast a harmful spell at an enemy target that you are mousing over all with the same keypress.

Application: Long story short, you can press one button and if you're mousing over a friendly target it will bubble them or hot them or whatever you want, but if your cursor is over an enemy target it would dot them or whatever harmful spell you want. You could also do the same for a dispel / spellsteal macro etc but I like to use it for Hot friendly + Dot hostile or priest bubble friendly dot hostile. Just change the spell text above to apply to what macro you want. I provided a druid application for sake of easy processing.

Stealth Buster Hax:
Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [stance:0] Stealth
/cleartarget [stance:1]
/targetenemyplayer [stance:1]
/cast [stance:1] Sap
/stopattack

Description: I created this macro in order to get quick saps in rogue vs rogue duels when the beginning of the duel is one rogue looking to sap the other rogue while in stealth to get the opener on them. This macro is very fast and will sap the closest enemy player to you. Bind this macro to something such as shift + scroll wheel up and shift+scroll wheel down for the absolute best response time. I suggest leaving your scroll wheel with no modifier set up for scroll clicking (click here for guide) and to change your zoom to control + scroll wheel or alt + scroll wheel or whatever modifier you'd like.

Application: You can edit this macro for any stealth busting macro such as conc shot, faerie fire, judgment, whatever you'd like to cast at the closest enemy to you. Bind this macro to something such as shift+scroll wheel up and shift+scroll wheel down for the absolute best response time. If you edit this macro for spells that DO NOT BREAK CC on your enemy target, change the last line from /stopattack to start attack. For example, on a rogue you would want /stopattack for sap because damage would break the sap. However, on a pally maybe you want judgment or holy shock in order to bust a rogue or denounce with the denounce glyph, then you'd want /startattack.

Weapon Swap Macros:
Code:
#showtooltip Sinister Strike
/startattack
/equipslot 16 Shadowfang
/equipslot 17 Thief's Blade
/cast Sinister Strike

I have created a guide to show people how to create macros that have built in weapon swaps. The link is here and it can become complicated if you have multiple of the same weapon, which I also entail in the guide.---> Weapon Swapping Guide

Gear Swap Macros:
Code:
/equip 0 1
/equip 0 2
/equip 0 3
/equip 0 4
/equip 0 5

Description: Equipment Set Swapping Macros are MUCH easier and require no addons or equipment selector features that do not exist in classic. All you have to do is organize your inventory properly and create a macro that corresponds with the bag ID item.

/equip (bag number) (bag slot)

The first number is your Bag and the second number is the Bag Item Slot. Your Backpack is 0, your first bag is 1, your 2nd bag is 2 and so on. The slots go from top leftmost ---> right, then row two left to right.

Hitting this macro again will swap you back to your initial gear set. This is amazing as a FC set toggle.

Versatile Mount Macro

Code:
#showtooltip swift spectral tiger
/cast [mod:shift]Grand Expedition Yak;[mod:ctrl]swift spectral tiger;[mod:alt,noflyable]Mekgineer's chopper
/run if SecureCmdOptionParse"[nomod]"then C_MountJournal.SummonByID(0) end

Description: This is my mount script where I want to summon my Yak on Shift modifier, Swift Spectral Tiger on ctrl, if no flying, alt mod swim form with no flying for passenger mek, and then if no mod at all, casts a favorite from mount journal.

Versatile Mount Macro Druid

Code:
#showtooltip Swift spectral tiger
/dismount
/cancelform [stance]
/cast [mod:shift]Grand Expedition Yak;[mod:ctrl]swift spectral tiger;[mod:alt][swimming][combat]Travel Form
/run if SecureCmdOptionParse"[nomod]"then C_MountJournal.SummonByID(0) end

Description: This is my mount script where I want to summon my Yak on Shift modifier, Swift Spectral Tiger on ctrl, if no flying, alt mod swim form on druid, and then if no mod at all, casts a favorite from mount journal.

Quick Focus:
Code:
/focus [@focus,exists] none; [@mouseover,exists][]

Description: Mouseover anything and press this button once to set that mouseover as your focus. Press it again on someone else or nothing to clear your focus. Press it again to activate a new focus.

Application: In a premade situation, in order to have most efficient target swapping, most teams make /assist _______ macros and their target caller will target someone and the team will burst that target down. This is extremely predictable because the opposing healers can simply target the DPS and see their current target and then heal their target. I remember brainstorming one day as I always do, on how to avoid this and it was to simply utilize @focus macros. Target swapping will be completely unpredictable which will provide a better result. Most players already have @focus macros... however I'm not sure if they have an extremely efficient way of setting someone as their focus. Focus macros are also utilized in arenas as a way to discretely cast a spell at a player and be 100% unpredictable in doing so. In order to do any of this, you need to select a focus and instead of clicking on their portrait and selecting "set as focus" this macro does the above upon keypress while mousing over.

Stopcasting / Dismount / Loot A Rang:
Code:
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/petpassive
/dismount
/targetlasttarget [noexists,nocombat]
/use [dead] Findle's Loot-A-Rang;
/cast dismiss pet
/cast recuperate
/cast lightning shield
/cancelaura bear form
/cancelaura travel form

Description: Every caster needs to be able to fakecast. Whether you are a healer or ranged dps, doesn't matter. A lot of people will interrupt their own spell by moving or pressing the space bar. This is good, however a /stopcasting macro is even better because your player will simply lower his/her hands and the attacker will have less of a clue that you have stopped your cast. I bind 1 on my razer naga as my stopcasting / dismount macro above. This macro is on every single character I have and I have included advantages for some classes including a dismount function to easily dismount on top of a node, pet passive / dismiss pet and more. Add whatever abilities you want to cancel to it.

Application:
What is "Fakecasting" and do I need to do it?
"Fakecasting" is a combat skill that every skilled or competitive player needs to be aware of. Fakecasting, also dubbed "Juking" is when a person tricks an interrupt class into wasting their interrupt and putting it on cooldown so the caster can cast freely without worrying about being interrupted by the interrupt class. Everyone needs to be aware of fakecasting! There is an instructional video that can be found below:
source... Introduction To 19s

Bandage / Soulstone / Resurrect Tell Macro:
Code:
#showtooltip runecloth bandage
/cast [@mouseover,help] [help] [@targettarget,help] [@player] Runecloth bandage
/run SendChatMessage("Casting Runecloth Bandage on you! Don't Move!","WHISPER",nil,GetUnitName("target",1))

Description: This macro will cast your spell at your mouseover target and if you press them while targeting them, you will whisper to your target even if they are on a different realm. This is intended to only whisper them if you are targeting them so you don't end up spamming someone.

Application: You want to bandage friendly players in a game whom seem to be moving about and it could break your channel. You can edit this macro to be whatever you would like. Just change the colored text to apply.

Racial + PvP Trinket:
Code:
#showtooltip
/use [mod:shift] will of the forsaken; 14

Description: Most of my racials I have macro'd into my PvP trink for on shift. I always have my PvP trinket in slot 14 on all of my characters :)

Focus Interrupt / CC:
Code:
#showtooltip polymorph
/stopcasting
/cast @[target=focus] counterspell
/cast @[target=focus] polymorph

Description: The above is my old school focus counterspell / poly macro. I'm sure it's redundant today in terms of how it's written and adding in a castsequence reset function could prove advantageous, but I have always preferred the way this macro works for me. The first key press will interrupt your focus target and second will polymorph them.

Application: This is for when you want to interrupt an enemy caster without them knowing. Simply set the caster as your focus, watch their cast bar and when you see something worth interrupting, hit this macro and they will not be able to see it coming. You can change this to a kick + gouge for rogue or a rebuke + hoj macro depending on classes. I still always strongly suggest you make a @ Focus CC macro separate from this one such as @ Focus Blind / Hoj / Polymorph / Cyclone etc to ensure reliable CC on your focus target for landing kills in arena.

Spamable Stealth + Distract Macro:
Code:
#showtooltip stealth
/stopattack
/cast [combat][stealth]Distract;!Stealth

Description: This macro is a spamable stealth macro meaning you can spam it and you won't have to worry about accidentally canceling your stealth. For additional functionality, this macro will also function as your distract ability even in combat, while fcing, or in stealth. Throwing a distract can mess up an enemy from capturing a flag for example as it will alter their movement temporarily.

No-Fail Vanish:
Code:
#showtooltip
/stopattack
/castsequence [combat] Vanish; Stealth

Description: If you are in combat attempting to vanish, this macro will do exactly that... however if you are not in combat and press vanish, you will instead stealth and you will not accidentally put one of your most important abilities on cooldown. You can add cloak of shadows if you'd like, but I personally like keeping cloak away from my vanish macro as I tend to use cloak a lot in combat and I can't have an interference of delaying my vanish if my cloak is on cooldown.

Mocha's Archmage SubStep:
Code:
#showtooltip Shadowstep
/use archmage vargoth's spare staff
/target image of Archmage Vargoth
/cast shadowstep

Description: This is one of my absolute baby macros. I've been using this for a very, very long time. On first button press, your character will use the Archmage Vargoth toy from your collections page at your current location. Then on second press you will shadowstep to the previous location as long as you are in line of sight or Archmage Vargoth! This will work in RBGs, PvE and casual PvP. You will have people losing their minds. I promise.

Stealth + Cannibalize or Eat:
Code:
#showtooltip Cannibalize
/cast Cannibalize
/use Moist Cornbread
/cast Stealth

Description: If you're not in combat and missing health and you happen to be an undead, hit this macro while standing over an enemy corpse and you will canibalize them while you stealth at the same time as you eating! If you are in combat you will simply canibalize.

Shadowstep Kick:
Code:
#showtooltip Kick
/cast @[target=focus] Shadowstep
/cast @[target=focus] Kick

Description: This is what you'll use if you need to quickly and unpredictably interrupt a cast spell from a distance while on rogue. If you are specced into shadowstep, use this macro and you will shadowstep to your target and kick them on second key press. If you are not specced into shadowstep or if it is on cool down, this spell will simply kick your focus target which is still what you'll use to interrupt your focus target.

Focus Blind:
Code:
#showtooltip Blind
/cast @[target=mouseover] blind

Description: Use this macro to unpredictably blind your focus target. This is essential to landing kills by focus CCing a healer or second target.

Closing Words:
I always mention #showtooltip for consistency sake as if you have a multispell macro, it's best to specify anyways in my personal preference. I've had these macros for a very long time which is why there are perhaps a few redundancies that may not be necessary today. However, there's no point in going through all of my macros to remove redundancies today if they've worked fine since their creation. I'd rather not risk breaking them if they work fine as is.

These aren't macros that I've just now discovered and I know some of you may have them / have had them for as long as I have. However, I'm sure the majority of PvP participants haven't known about these macros. When I encounter discussion with someone and they have told me how they didn't know about said macro, I typically share them here as chances are there are others whom haven't as well.

Last edited:
Target nearest distance was removed in wrath. Also /targetenemy should be /targetenemyplayer

Target nearest distance was removed in wrath. Also /targetenemy should be /targetenemyplayer

I believe some of the technicalities may be redundant these days, but why fix what isn't broken.

I've had these macros for a very long time which is why there are perhaps a few redundancies that may not be necessary today. However, there's no point in going through all of my macros to remove redundancies today if they've worked fine since their creation. I'd rather not risk breaking them if they work fine as is.

Thanks though man!

/targetenemyplayer will make a big difference since /targetenemy targets pets and totems you may end up in a situation where it targets some hunters pet and not that rogue you just saw even if you leave the console range stuff in there the macro will work better and that only going to help others

Also I'm mad they fixed my mojo single press macro... It would summon mojo whom I'd renamed to match my character name, and then kiss mojo which would morph you into a tiny frog regardless of combat or holding the flag or what. If an enemy tried to battleground targets select me, it would select my companion pet, if they tried to /tar møçha it would target the companion pet as well... If you did this macro and then ran into a bush, good game.

This is a prime example of the tricky crap I used to pull... the Archmage SubStep macro still works though... (not sure if link will work for you guys yet, but shortly it will.

@Mocha is it possible to combine the first 3 macros listed into 1 macro using rejuvenation and moonfire? if so could you please post that to me. I am really having some trouble trying to figure it out for myself lol. thanks!

Yes there is good macros for guys like rogues the healing warriors who do not share the same cd as a healing potion and potion of rejuvenation

Added a gear swap macro, mention of weapon swap macro guide as well.

Gear Swap Macros:
Code:
/equip 0 1
/equip 0 2
/equip 0 3
/equip 0 4
/equip 0 5

Description: Equipment Set Swapping Macros are MUCH easier and require no addons or equipment selector features that do not exist in classic. All you have to do is organize your inventory properly and create a macro that corresponds with the bag ID item.

/equip (bag number) (bag slot)

The first number is your Bag and the second number is the Bag Item Slot. Your Backpack is 0, your first bag is 1, your 2nd bag is 2 and so on. The slots go from top leftmost ---> right, then row two left to right.

Hitting this macro again will swap you back to your initial gear set. This is amazing as a FC set toggle.
[doublepost=1623118888,1623117506][/doublepost]Added, changed, compressed updated some things <3

I’ve used one macro and one macro only. To find fenissa. I applaud you all for not being natural at pvp.
[doublepost=1623150511,1623150437][/doublepost]Good macros nonetheless

Hi everyone. Can someone give me adnvice? How to make macros to choose your pets on the hunter?

Users who are viewing this thread