Level 19 Paladin Guide

Deaconator

Savior of the Lifeless
Level 19 Paladin

The ever popular Paladin, although it may no longer be the best FC, it is great for FC support. With the cooldown of Lay on Hands now down to 20 mins, Blessing of Freedom, the fact that Divine Protection will not force a flag drop, and having Hammer of Justice you should be able to help survive an attack from the masses and hold the flag if something goes wrong.

Gear Selection

Head

Lucky Fishing Hat Is going to be what you want to get via catching a certain fish during the stv fishing tourney.

Green Tinted Goggles Will work till you get fishing hat.

Neck

Thick Bronze Necklace This is a decent neck, but I suggest switching to Scout's/Sentiel's once you get the honor/marks.

Horde onlyScout's Medallion

Alliance onlySentinel's Medallion

Shoulders

Serpent's Shoulders Cause some people like agi on a Pally, lol go figure.

Talbar Mantle One of the few holy pally options.

With 3.1 I'd like to think we should all thank our local Tailors and Blacksmiths.

Rough Bronze Shoulders

Your best option for Fc unless you can get BoA.

Reinforced Woolen Shoulders Your other holy pally optin.

Back

Here you have many options depending on your preference.

Sentry Cloak

Miner's Cape

Engineer's Cloak

Horde only Traquillien Champion's Cloak

Battle Healer's Cloak/ Caretaker's Cape Via Wsg Marks and Honor.

With the addition of items in 3.1, You can thank your local tailors for their new items.

Spidersilk Drape

With the addition of items in 3.3, you can que up for a random instance and receive a Satchel of Helpful Goods which may include a cloak. Now this Cloak has a chance to have any of the following stats; 8stam, 4agi/4stam/8sp, 5str/3stam/2crit, 5str/5stam, 4str/stam/4def, 4stam/4int/1mp5, 5agi/5stam, 4int/2stam/4spir, 4str/4stam/4crit, 4stam/4int/4sp.

Enchants depend on preference, but I would suggest +5 Resist or 70 Armor. It has also been brought to my attention that you can get 12 Dodge via the rank 1 Armor Vellum since the enchant was originally a drop in AQ.

Chest

Blackened Defias Armor

Armor of the Fang

5/5 Mail Chest of the Eagle for a decent holy chest.

Horde only Inferno Robe TBC enchantable, this is a nice holy chest aswell.

With the addition of items in 3.1, You can thank your local Leather Workers for their new items.

Toughened Leather Armor for max HP.

Enchants will vary depending on Item/Spec but I suggest any of the following: 4 stats, if going for max HP 100 HP, TBC enchant would be 6 stats.

Wrist

Cavedweller Bracers Lolret.

Alliance only Beetle Clasps Fc

Horde only Steel-clasped Bracers Fc

3/3 Bracers of the Eagle, for a healing set.

Enchants I suggest will depend on spec, but either way the following will work: 9 Stam, 9str, 15 healing, 7int, or even Mp5 for those long battles.

Hand

4/4 Eagle of the Eagle/Bear

Thorbia's Gauntlets

Enchants are as followed 16 Healing, 15 agi for those that like lolAgi, or 7 str.

Belt

Girdle of the Blindwatcher

With the addition of items in 3.3, you can que up for a random instance and receive a Satchel of Helpful Goods which may include a belt. Now this Belt has various stats to offer, and they could be any of the following; 10stam, 10str, 6str/6stam, 5str/5stam/5def, 5str/5stam/5crit, 5stam/5int/6sp.

Legs

5/5 pants of the Bear/Eagle depending on your preference.

Smelting Pants for max HP.

Or even Leggings of the Fang

With 3.1 brings the removal of leg kits, so your only option here is LW Armor Patches, and the best being, Heavy Armor Kit, which has to be done the same way as before.

Feet

Savage Trodders.

4/4 boots of the Eagle/Bear.

or even Spidersilk Boots if your willing to lose that armor.

Enchants are easy, you want Minor speed unless going for a stam set, then you want 7Stam.

Rings

Alliance only Seal of Wrynn

Horde only Seal of Sylvanas

Horde only Invoker's Signet or Slayer's Band.

Lavishly Jeweled Ring

Blood Ring

3/3 Ring of the Eagle

Alliance pvp rings are Lorekeeper's Ring or Protector's Band.

Horde pvp rings are Advisor's Ring or Legionnaire's Band.

Trinkets

Insignia of the Horde/Alliance

Arena Grand Master(AGM)

Minor Recombobulator

Weapons/Shields

Fc 1h Weapons

Hands down my favorite weapon is the Shadowfang.

If you cannot find a SF or afford one, you are in luck seeing as the other options are very good replacements.

Night Watch Shortsword

Butcher's Slicer

Due to popular demand we have another option...

Skeletal Club

For any of these weapons I would suggest either Lifestealing, 22int, Crusader(For Block if it procs and the mini heal), lolFiery, or even Strength.

Fc Shields

Redbeard Crest Cheap and awesome looking shield imo.

Gold-plated Buckler

Horde only Deadskull Shield Best shield for any 19 shield user.

Arctic Buckler Via Horde/Alliance quest.

Enchants that I would recommend would be 7stam or Felsteel Shield Spike.

1h Healing Weapons

Night Watch Shortsword again, this is a versatile weapon.

4 Spell Power mace.

2/2 Axe of the Eagle.

Razor's Edge for spirit set.

Enchants I recommend are: 22int, 30 Spell Power, or 20spirit.

Healing Shields

Not many options here, you want one for Int and one for Spirit.

Arctic Buckler

Forest Buckler

Enchants you will want to get are Vitality and 7stam.

2h Weapons

Horde only Runic Darkblade, if your are willing to take this over Deadskull Shield, do it.

Alliance only Glacial Stone

Alliance only Seraph's Strike

Smite's Mighty Hammer has great stats.

Night Reaver

Enchants I recommend are Crusader or lol 25 agi(For those agi fans), Lifestealing,or Fiery.

Glyphs

Major

Hammer of Justice If you need that little separation or to be 1 step closer.

Holy Light Perfect for healing a group on O or D.

Judgement Nice for a boost to dps for lolret set.

Minor

Blessing of Might

Blessing of Wisdom

Lay on HandsMy absolute favorite.

Spec

Holy

I personally would use: 5 Spiritual Focus, 3 Healing Light, and 2 Divinity.

Fc/Prot

0/10/0 Is going to be the spec that you want to use. And this spec will have talent points spent in...

5 Divinity, 3 Stoicism, and 2 Guardian's Favor.

Ret/Dps

I honestly don't think ret is viable at 19, and you could argue many ways to spec it. But If I have to chose, I'm going to pick the following spec.

5 Deflection, 2 Imp Judgments, and Heart of the Crusader.

Consumables

Every Fc needs to keep a stock of these in their bags:

Strong Troll's Blood Elixir

Elixir of Giant Growth

Elixir of Minor Fortitude if going for max Hp.

Any 19 Twink needs to keep a full supply of these:

Discombobulator Ray

Heavy Runecloth Bandage

Healing Pot

Swift Pot

Rumsey Rum Black Label

Minor Recombobulator

Professions

Since you can no longer get 450, the only gathering prof I suggest getting is herbalism for the free non-dispellable HoT.

Crafting profs I would get are either Engineering, Alchemy. or even Jewelcrafting.

We all know the reason's for engi: Goggles, Minor Recombobulator, Explosive Sheep, Bombs, and for Lols the target dummy. But why alchemy you may ask, its very simple. It has its own passive buff itself, and that is Mixology, so if you can make it, you get a better use out of pots. Jewelcrafting? Who uses that? Well, the only reason that I recommend getting JC is the improved survivability that it brings with it via Heavy Stone Statue, another 2 minute HoT. And then there are the given First Aid and Fishing.

My Prof Guide

Examples of Good Paladin's

[char="Aegwynn"]Flagtech[/char] from Thick as Thieves.

[char="Medivh"]Hotnhordy[/char] from Is Wasted on Noggenfoggr.

[char="Zul'jin"]Ndstructible[/char] from AWØL.

[char="Durotan"]Jéricho[/char] from Bloodlust Represent.(The toughest Paladin I have ever faced.)

[char="Jubei'Thos"]Flagbot[/char] from Hook Line N Sinker.

Bind on Account

Shoulder

Pristine Lightforge Spaulders and Strengthened Stockade Pauldrons are both available via Wintergrasp for 200 Stone Keeper's Shards's.

Polished Spaulders of Valor are available from Dalaran for 40 Emblem of Heroism's.

Chest

Polished Brestplate of Valor is available in Dalaran for 40 Emblem of Heroism's or 60 Champion's Seal's.

Weapons

2H

Bloodied Arcanite Reaper available in Dalaran for 65 Emblem of Heroism's.

Reforged Truesilver Champion is available from Wintergrasp for 325 Stone Keeper's Shards's.

Repurposed Lava Dredger available in Dalaran for 65 Emblem of Heroism's.

1H

Devout Aurastone Hammer/ Venerable Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge are available in Dalaran for 50/40 Emblem of Heroism's.

The Blessed Hammer of Grace/ Battleworn Thrash Blade are available in Wintergrasp for 250/200 Stone Keeper's Shards's.

Venerable Mass of McGowan is available for are available in Dalaran for 40 Emblem of Heroism's.

* These items can only receive level 1 enchants so your options are Crusader, Lifestealing, 25 agi. 15 agi. 15 str, 22int, 20 spirit, and 30 spell damage.

Trinkets

Discerning Eye of the Beastand/or Swift Hand of Justice Is available to Horde/Alliance from Dalaran for 50 Emblem of Heroism's.

Inherited Insignia of the Horde/Alliance Is available to Horde/Alliance from Wintergrasp for 250 Stone Keeper's Shards's.

My Gear Sets

Holy

This would be my balanced holy set for a 19 Horde Pally with BoA's. http://chardev.org/?template=239032

This would be my balanced holy set for a 19 Ally Pally with BoA's. http://chardev.org/?template=239033

This would be my balanced holy set for a 19 Ally Pally without BoA's. http://chardev.org/?template=239034

This would be my balanced holy set for a 19 Horde Pally without BoA's. http://chardev.org/?template=239035

Note* not sure is a fit, but you can still put the + 12 Dodge Rating to cloak using a level 1 Armor Velum (do I sound like a broken record yet?)

Also, I think you forgot the AGM trinket for survivability.....

Good guild overall!

Rayekk said:
you can still put the + 12 Dodge Rating to cloak using a level 1 Armor Velum (do I sound like a broken record yet?)

I will add that to the list.

Also, I think you forgot the AGM trinket for survivability.....

Its in there.

Thanks for input!

-Deacon

Nice guide. But just to add my 2 cents.

I could be going in alone on this, but I prefer Serpent's Shoulders over Talbar Mantle when FCing. I don't use hardly any mana, so the intellect boost is virtually useless to me. The primary abilities I use when FCing, BoF/DP/Purify/BoK require hardly any mana. The only mana drain is Holy Light which is only used whenever I cannot bandage or if I am only down a few hundred HP. In this case, my mana pool is more than sufficient. And the extra armor + agi I find better than 3 stamina.

I would also suggest getting a wep with +30 SP to swap out if you need to heal yourself since weapon swaps are possible in combat. Overall, I prefer lifestealing; not much of a fan of +22 intellect.

I also prefer Thorbia's Gauntlets over 4/4 eagle. It has 22 more armor and 8 strength. While one may consider the strength genuinely worthless, it can be useful when having to kill hunter pets which I find myself doing a lot. Hunter pets are a PITA for pally FCers since our main healing option is bandaging and pets prevent that. The 1 stamina loss is marginable. And as I noted before, I find intellect worthless in most cases. As for the enchant, I definitely recommend +15 agi for the extra survivability. A Pally's primary healing method is bandaging, so the +30 heals is situational.

Overall, great guide though! I didn't intend to critique, rather, I tried to just present a different viewpoint. Pally FCers are fun in pugs, but FCing is better left to druids in premades due to our vulnerability to purge/dispel.

Edit: My personal spec for Fcing is 0/10/0: Blessing of Kings 5/5 (I just prefer the overall stat boost over extra strength), Stoicism 3/3 (Could be crucial in situations where your BoF lasts one dispel longer allowing you to get away), Guardian's Favor 2/2 (Increasing the duration of BoF is definitely a plus).

Edit #2: I would also suggest getting a second pair of boots and adding +7 sta / +12 (if fishing boots) for whenever debuff hits. With debuff, minor speed is nullified.

Painaid said:
Edit: My personal spec for Fcing is 0/10/0: Blessing of Kings 5/5 (I just prefer the overall stat boost over extra strength), Stoicism 3/3 (Could be crucial in situations where your BoF lasts one dispel longer allowing you to get away), Guardian's Favor 2/2 (Increasing the duration of BoF is definitely a plus).

^^ should be THE "FCing" spec. not what Deacon had...the Dispell resist is much more importand tha a few percent in Dodge, and 10% stats is > 15% str increase. 2 reasons : 1 u can BoK Everybody, 2 +15% of nothing, is still nothing. (in other words the 15% boost will do virtually nothing for you ESP considering that boK will GIVE YOU 10%)

edit:fake edit lol

Anarcan said:
^^ should be THE "FCing" spec. not what Deacon had...the Dispell resist is much more importand tha a few percent in Dodge, and 10% stats is > 15% str increase. 2 reasons : 1 u can BoK Everybody, 2 +15% of nothing, is still nothing. (in other words the 15% boost will do virtually nothing for you ESP considering that boK will GIVE YOU 10%)

edit:fake edit lol

Gotcha, made the changes.

elocon said:
Lay of Hands dont restore any mana at rank 1, and 20%+ of 0 mana is still 0 mana.

Thanks for pointing that out, fixt.

Very nice guide.

I'll add my cents to your guide aswell.

Acutally i'd add fiery to the 1h' enchanting list, i find it very effective, crusader is ofc alot better, but since it only can proc of our auto attacks, then its quite boring waiting for procs sometimes :b.

For the FC'in i'd use 'of the monkey' in premades, or when you got yourself a healbot (;. For puggin im using eagle myself. Another advice would be stamina & spellpower stack, since you aint got any instant healing spells as paladin other then LoH, so you have to stand still to heal yourself after that, start running again :b.

Again, very nice job.

-Nuhuh

Option for cloak: Firebane cloak enchanted with +5 resist. This is my Pally FC's "resist" cloak for all of those Mages and Warlocks out there. Switch any time you're out of combat. This, in combination with being a belf, helps me resist a lot of damage, surprisingly.

Belt: I know a lot of people like the Blindwatcher belt, and it baffles me. Deviate Scale Belt has 5Agi/6Sta/3Spi versus Blindwatcher's 7Sta/8Int and an insignificant armor disadvantage. I'd take the crafted belt any day. Agility is highly underrated for flag-carrying.

Hands: I use Thorbia's for flag-running. More armor, Strength raises my block value, and that's 1 less slot I have to switch if I go on DPS. I've been considering switching to 4/4 "monkey" though, not "eagle". Again, you seem to value Int over Agi and/or Strength and I have no idea why. I rarely experience mana exhaustion these days.

FC 1H Weapon Options: Skeletal Club. I use Butcher's Slicer with a +15 Agi enchant for the start of a flag run, switch to Skeletal Club with Lifestealing for melee "kill or be killed" situations while carrying the flag. Would prefer Shadowfang, still farming for it :-(. If you're listing Shadowfang, which has no Stamina on it, I think you should list, in addition to Skeletal Club, all of the other Stamina-less, or low-Stamina, high-DPS 1-handers available in this bracket, as alternatives, e.g. Cruel Barb, Guillotine Axe, Legionnaire's/Protector's Sword, Razor's Edge. For the maximum in Avoidance/Mitigation, with a slight compromise on DPS, there's Thief's Blade (still haven't gotten around to farming that, Deadmines is a pain to 2-box from the Horde side, and I think Smite is tethered, isn't he?).

FC Shields. You list Arctic Buckler only as a "healing" shield, but actually it has the most armor and block of any of the shields in your guide. I switch to Arctic Buckler if my health is already down, and I have no healer in sight -- in such situations the higher Stamina of the other shields is wasted, I need Avoidance/Mitigation at that point. The slight amount of Frost Resist also helps incrementally against Frostbolt'ing Mages. When the other side has a ridiculous amount of Hunters, I'll occasionally use up charges on one of my Black Husk Shields (which I treat like consumables), to save on Purify GCDs/mana or potion cooldowns.

Healing 1H WeaponNight Watch Shortsword? Really? No healing stats whatsoever, only Stamina and lousy DPS. Not my definition of "versatile", but whatever.

2H: I'm not sure if that list is supposed to be in order of preference or not, but, if so, Smite's should really be at the top. Under the current (3.0.x) mechanics, SoR/JoR scale with AP, and Smite's contributes far more AP than those other weapons, pushing it ahead in terms of overall DPS. The Agi adds to crit/dodge/armor as well.

2H enchants: Crusader or 25 Agi the only options? Crusader sucks, in my opinion, the proc rate is about 1 ppm, meaning that it heals less than Lifestealing (with a ppm of about 6), and the Holy Strength buff is very visible (and audible), meaning it's easily avoided (opponents can use their CC abilities, Evasion, etc. or simply run away when they see/hear it come up) Why do you omit Lifestealing from 2H enchant options? Procs are on a PPM basis, so it shouldn't really matter, from a straight DPS standpoint, whether they're on a fast or slow weapon. I'm not sure off the top of my head how much +25 Agi adds to crit at level 19, but somehow I doubt that the DPS improvement puts it beyond Lifestealing. If all you care about is DPS and not survivability at all, of course, then good old Fiery is your best enchant choice, for 1H or 2H -- it procs at the same rate as Lifestealing, but does more damage per proc.

Talents. I go with 3 points in Deflection (Retribution) instead of Stoicism. Stuns in the 19 bracket don't last very long anyway, except for an opponent's Hammer of Justice (and an opposing Pally's DPS is the least of my worries, compared to Rogues and Hunters and the occasional twinked and skilled Warrior). Parry gives me some much-needed Avoidance, versus frontal attacks, full-time, and a swing-timer boost, for DPS improvement (which is more valuable with a slow 2H of course). As for dispel resistance, I don't see the point: Priests' and Shamans' dispels, when used at all (and it seems pretty rare), are instant-cast and cheap, they just keep on casting them until the buffs are gone. Doesn't really buy you much. Casting BoM or BoK repeatedly on yourself is usually much more effective in wasting the mana and GCDs of dispel-happy opponents than "dispel resistance" could possibly be, and doesn't use up 3 valuable talent points. I suppose if one runs mostly in a premade, it would help to prevent one's buffs from being dispelled from one's teammates; I'm a hardcore solo-queuer, so maybe my perspective is a little different. After the initial Preparation phase, rebuffing of one's teammates tends to be a hit-or-miss proposition anyway, since people are usually in different positions on the field.

i experience mana exhaustion because i LoS and heal on my 19 paladin. at least that's my style.

*Updates Inc*

Once I get 3.1 rolling on my computer and check all the changes again.

*Updated a few things for 3.1*

There's also the LoH minor glyph now reducing it's cd from 20 -> 15 mins. Probably the minor glyph to get now.

Why no 15 agi enchant recommended for fc weapon? This was the tanking enchant to have way back when, and it helps a 19 a lot more than a 60.

Users who are viewing this thread