Is this a Hoax

Got this today on my personal email, not my account email. Matches others, but also sends me to a wow link.

EMAIL:

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell/trade your personal World of Warcraft account. As you may or may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement of Blizzard Entertainment and World of Warcraft. If upon further investigation you are indeed attempting to obtain monetary profit against the terms of the user agreement, your account can and will be disabled. Blizzard has the right to consider legal action if necessary, based on the severity of the action.

If you hope to avoid account suspension you should verify your personal possession of the account in question. We at Blizzard Entertainment take infractions of the user agreement quite seriously, and we must confirm the original ownership of the account. This is easily done by supplying your personal information about your account.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage:

https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/login/login?services=https%Faccount%2LoginEncy%2Findex.html

Only Account Administration will be able to assist with account retrieval issues. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently due to suspicions of alternative ownership. We ask that during the time of the investigation you give approximately twenty-four hours of inactivity after sending a response email. This should provide enough time for Blizzard to confirm your identity and that the terms of agreement are being followed as is necesarry.

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment Inc

Account Administration Team

P.O. Box 18979, Irvine, CA 92623

Probably, check the email address it was sent from and check the extension.

If it ends in "@blizzard.com" it is legit. Otherwise, its fake.

~Zuty

I know, but it just seems...off? Considering it's exactly like others posted.

Well the link in the email doesn't lead anywhere (maybe it did at one point...) I wouldn't worry about it because of that fact. It also does seem a bit off ... But I have not gotten one of these with an @Blizzard ending on it ...

~Zuty

Probably real, it's not asking for any private information and it's directing you to the official site.

Was a hoax, fixed. They're getting better. Good thing I gave them no information.

"We ask that during the time of the investigation you give approximately twenty-four hours of inactivity after sending a response email."

Translation: Give us time to screw over your account before you realize what's going on.

Pållynåtor said:
Was a hoax, fixed. They're getting better. Good thing I gave them no information.

The link you posted seemed corrupted, prolly led to some other site though.

It's a scam. The intent is to use a spoof link that redirects you to a non-Blizzard website. They screwed up the link evidently.

Don't click on the link when you receive these emails.

for the future people...you can make an email mirror anything. I simply don't even respond to blizzard emails, just call em up

Zuty said:

~Zuty

You can "spoof" email addresses. So no.

See our other "WTH?!? I'm not selling anything" post:

http://twinkinfo.com/forums/f18/zomg-blizzard-thinks-im-selling-my-accounts-t1851/

Key things in spotting a scam Blizzard e-mail:

Blizzard never asks for any kind of detail via- e-mail unsolicited; in this example, they’d just shut you down for 24-48 hours and e-mail you with instructions on how to verify your account via the live staff, if they suspected anything like this.

noreply@blizzard.com is their official “spam” e-mail- anything else is fake.

Always go to e-mail links “manually,” that is track down the link on the Blizzard site yourself using the search or help functions. If you feel you must follow a link, mouse over it for a moment, and make sure that the pop-up web address (lower right corner for IE) matches exactly to the one in the e-mail; otherwise they are re-directing you to a clone site. Or drop it into notepad and then into word (to remove any hidden re-direction coding) and click on it. As you can see, if you click on the link in the post (as the hidden re-direction coding was stripped out) you get a Blizzard 404 error.

Blizzard will NEVER ASK FOR YOUR PASSWORD. Period. Not on a website, e-mail or even over the phone. (Take it from someone who’s gotten hacked twice via keyloggers making forum posts before I got an authenticator).

Blizzard will only ask you for your secret word via an automated web program to verify an action you request (changing a password on a compromised account) or directly on the phone; and they’re not supposed to give you that info without first verifying your identity.

Blizzard will only accept CD key codes over the phone, or pictures sent via fax; they DO NOT Accept these documents (or even verification images of picture ID) over e-mail.

Hopefully these tips will help you out in the future.

Zuty said:

~Zuty

Just because it says @blizzard.com doesn't mean its legit. There are websites that allow you to send emails with any return address, my friend actually hosts one. They don't ask you to reply to that email since it doesn't go back to them, instead they give you a WoW site link with some odd coding at the end which probably ends up redirecting you. Not a bad phishing attempt although I've seen this before (with the reply address and WoW site link) and they need to come up with a better reason (the "you've been selling your account thing got obvious ages ago).

Oops- I removed this content because it's publicly viewable; don't want to empower our scamers...

Blizzard always offers more than one contact method, be it a contact phone or a direct web link; they do no transactional changes via an e-mail that's a spam address.

Yep. Figured the latter, talked to a GM and stuff before I did anything lol

Most of the scams I have been getting end in something like:

@hotmail

@aol

@gmail

@email.blizzard.net

@email.blizzard

But calling Blizzard is probably your best bet.

~Zuty

It's fake. don't click any links in it. it will lead you to a phisher site that will steal your password if you try to log in. The return address does look legit but there are many ways to fake an email address.

Users who are viewing this thread