Investing/Stock Market

Invest in Starlink once there’s a public stock offering imo

Bump.

starlink.JPG

https://investmentu.com/starlink-ipo/

Not really stocks but I got into crypto 2016 and dabbled ever since - cashed out some crypto on 21st Feb into Gold. The Michael Burry tweets got me jittery. Ultimately though I think we're heading for some rocky shit over the next few years. How long is it going to be before people realise their dollars and pounds are worthless?

I follow him too lol. But a lot of his stuff goes way over my head

edit: also anyone educated knows the USD is fiat. Didn’t we drop the gold standard some several decades ago? But I get what your saying. The value in the dollar is upheld partly by the people’s trust in the government. And lately there hasn’t been all that much trust

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is I'm glad I bought some gamestop stock last night after I heard the current CEO was resigning.. Made my lunch very enjoyable watchin that shit skyrocket before cashin out end of day trading today.

took profits, good man!
I hope he looked into how short-term capital gains will impact his end of year taxes. Short-term capital gains are taxed as ordinary income. Be sure that quick profit gain doesn’t push you into that next tax bracket for an overall loss.

I hope he looked into how short-term capital gains will impact his end of year taxes. Short-term capital gains are taxed as ordinary income. Be sure that quick profit gain doesn’t push you into that next tax bracket for an overall loss.
Assuming US federal taxes that isnt how they work. Marginal tax brackets make it so only the money over the previous bracket is taxed at the new rate.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/an...ax-bracket-cause-me-have-lower-net-income.asp

Ya, I'll be fine. It was just awesome to see a paycheck double by 100% within 2 hours, then double again in the next hour before I cashed out. This Gamestop wave is a fun ride for sure

Sure enough you always want to be mindful of that, but capital gains terms aside, when something goes 2-3x in a day, lock in some profits. Despite their restrictions, the beauty of trading in a tax deferred retirement account is you don't have to worry about all that.

Take the money and run. I was watching the markets close with some 40-year traders just laughing at the whole ridiculous situation.

Last edited:
invest, don't gamble.

Buy ETF/Index funds and stocks/crypto you believe in long term, never have excess money rotting on your bank account being eaten by inflation.

And for gods sake, stay away from options if you don't have "gamble" money left over you just wan't to play with.

That's all I want to say about investing, thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Day trading is practically gambling.

@Devm mentions oil, gold and gas.

I personally wouldn't touch the oil or gas market with a 10 foot pole.

Gold is alright, mostly stable, it's what people invest into when they see a huge drop in the market, because gold doesn't fluctuate as much as currency, which means you stand to lose very little or retain or sometimes even gain value. However, I still wouldn't look at this as an investment, but rather a security measure in case of upcoming crisis.

I personally like stocks like building materials, insulation etc. Construction companies go up and down like crazy, but there is always a need for materials. Insulation is a really good one.

Medicinal stocks are also a good one if you keep up with some international politics and whatnot. For instance, take the Trump era in the US. Trump closed US borders for foreign medicin, which meant that companies who provided insulin took a HUGE dive, because the US was a huge market share on that. That's bound to eventually turn around when those borders gets opened up again. Other segments within that industry is embryonic stem cell research, which is pretty huge. You could even be lucky enough to have medicinal stocks that skyrocketed because of Covid.

I also invest nationally a lot. KNOW YOUR MARKET. It's just easier to keep up with things that are familiar to be honest.

Some of my better investments right now are

-Tesla (this one was an omegalul)
-Maersk
-Amazon
-Novo Nordisk (I expect this one to explode some time in the future)
-Rockwool International
-Simpson Manifacturing

And a lot of other stocks here and there.

As you can probably tell, I am in it for the long game. Some of the investments I look into usually take YEARS to hit off (although Tesla got there hella fast, thanks for smoking weed on JRE Elon, hue).

Day trading, while it's addictive to see here-and-now results, is pretty much just a gamble. There is really not too much predictability in it.

I started getting into stocks when I was 18 years old.

If I had to give another advice for foreign stocks, outside of politics, it would be to follow their currency. It's especially profitable to invest into US stocks when the dollar takes a dip. Way more profitable than investing into the currency itself.

I would say start with national stocks, get to know a market from a familiar place, learn, keep that as your majority, then expand.

Also look into broker accounts and deals, see what benefits you the most in terms of taxes and other expenses. Some countries and/or banks have extra good deals if you are willing to split the stocks into a pension for instance.

I haven't been trading in a while now personally since I pawned it off to a broker on a pension deal that was too good to turn down, but I still get bi-weekly reports on my stocks and future investment plans.

Last edited:
Meme stock is where it's at! I listen to the daily numbers on my commute and that's the slice of the market that seems to have Canadian annalists puzzled. Oh ya, I'm in Canada where our currency is the real meme...

Users who are viewing this thread