Inkobah's Guide to Auctioning

Inkobah’s Guide to Auctioning

A Twinkinfo Exclusive

Who is Inkobah and why is he writing a Guide to Auctioning?

I have played WoW for over 4 years and have learned the ins and outs of the WoW economy. I have made hundreds of thousands of gold (starting with 300g) and have manipulated and controlled whole segments of the server economy (on 4 different servers: Lightninghoof, Medivh, Stonemaul, and Jaedenar).

I’m making a guide because I’m hoping that my tips (though many of which are probably not original) will be of help to fellow twinks and players. These secrets have kept me rich and successful in the world of Azeroth and allowed me to buy whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Many have tried to buy my secrets but now I offer it to you for free.

Below are 3 strategies that I have used to make my gold. They are written in the order of difficulty to pull off.

I don’t care if you think my guide sucks. I don’t care if you knew all the information already contained in this guide. This is for those who are struggling to keep more than a few hundred gold on them at a time. There are many ways of making gold in this game and it’s not hard (it’s way easier now than it used to be in vanilla WoW too). I’m just one guy that has been able to make a crap ton of gold and wants to help other people replicate it.

Strategy 101​

Add-ons Needed:

• Auctioneer

• Igor’s Mass Auction

• Postal

Capital Needed:

The more the better but you can start with around 100g. I started with 300g.

Strategy:

Once you get the above add-ons begin scanning the auction house on a regular basis (at least once a day). Scanning the auction house will allow you to get a handle on the going rates for items. The longer and more consistent you scan, the more accurate your auctioneer will be on pricing for your server. Remember, every server is different so don’t put much weight into the pricing on one server. It could be completely different on another.

After about a week of scanning the auction house you are ready to start making some gold. Scan the auction house and look for items that are priced below what auctioneer says they are worth. Start buying the ones that are underpriced. I would steer clear from items that are gray (obviously), white, and green (at least until you figure out which ones are worthwhile). I also would suggest you not put all your eggs in one basket, but diversify your gold. That way if you lose your ass on an item you at least have a portfolio that will hopefully make a combined profit. If you’re not familiar with Auctioneer, I recommend checking out the official site for more info (auctioneeraddon.com).

Once you buy an item (or items), pull it out of the mail and immediately repost it using Igor’s Mass Auction. You can use the regular auction interface, but once you get rolling you’re going to want to save time and Igor’s will save you a ton of time. The nice thing about Igor’s is that it’s compatible with Auctioneer so you’ll be able to Alt-Click an item and it’ll automatically set the price of the item at the Auctioneer suggested price. And the price you’ll want to post it up at every time is the Auctioneer suggested price (unless you get more advanced and learn the price is way low). Various people will tell you different lengths of time to post your items. I suggest 48 hours since it means you’ll have to repost less frequent. Obviously, you’ll run the risk of being undercut but that’s not always a bad thing (since a lot of times you get undercut, someone buys the undercut item, and then someone else comes and buys your item).

Once you repost the items, just wait for the auctions to sell or expire. Rinse and repeat. One strategy that I always stuck by (and it seemed few other people practiced) was I never dropped the price on an item just to get rid of it. It’s better to keep posting it at the Auctioneer price than to lose your ass just to get rid of it. After a while people will notice you and your items and will know that they’re better to buy it immediately rather than holding out to see if you’ll drop the price.

Soon you’ll have a sizable collection of items you’ll be selling and a ton of gold lining your pockets. That’s where the Postal mod comes in. Since you’ll have a descent amount of auctions you’ll want Postal to help you pull all the gold and items out of your mailbox quickly. Clicking every piece of mail takes too much time and you’ll be glad you saved some time.

Overall this process will take somewhere between 10 minutes and 1 hour per day depending on the amount of items you have. I recently was posting upwards of 800 auctions every 48 hours so that took some time. But financially it sure beat doing dailies or farming.

Strategy 201​

Add-ons Needed:

• Auctionator

• Igor’s Mass Auction (optional)

• Auctioneer (optional)

• Postal

Capital Needed:

Again, the more the better. I suggest several thousand gold.

Strategy:

The big flaw in Strategy 101 is that Auctioneer can be exploited, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do in Strategy 201. Too many people place so much weight into the Auctioneer price that as long as an item is priced at or below the Auctioneer they’ll buy it.

This strategy involves more work than the previous method so it’s probably not for everyone. First, you’ll want to pick your niche. Various people pick different niche markets. Some say to go for consumables, others say trade goods, others say level 80 epics. I say pick a niche market that has a high to moderately high demand and a low to moderately low supply.

Once you pick your niche market, it’s time to learn. Learn what’s good, learn what’s not, learn what the going rate is on those items (it’s good to use Auctioneer to figure out the general pricing, but it’s not necessary), learn what the drop rates are, learn where the items come from, etc.

For me, I picked twink items and low level blues and epics. The nice thing about this niche market is that several items are rare to extremely rare and there’s usually not a lot of people that know this. If you’re diligent you’ll find these items from time to time for cheap and be able to turn around and make a killing off them. You may think that the changes made to twinking (putting them in separate BGs) may have killed this market but it hasn’t. There’s still a lot of people that think that gear is very important for leveling and will spend a ton of gold to make sure they’re leveling with the best of the best. And there’s also a descent amount of items that people will transfer to you to buy.

Once you’ve picked your niche and you’ve studied up, you’re ready to roll. Begin scanning the auction house (I’d do this manually – searching 14-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49) and buy items that are underpriced. Also, pinpoint items that are best-in-slot or hot selling items and buy them even at the going rate.

What you’re going to do in this case is set the market price (as opposed to playing within the “market price”). Since so many people put too much weight into what Auctioneer tells them, you can manipulate what it says to your benefit. You can do this in a couple of different ways: (1) greatly inflate the price and then later set the price of the item(s) lower than the inflated price (ex: buy an item for 100g, inflate price to 500g, then sell at 300g). (2) set price at the price you want to sell an item (ex: buy an item for 100g, inflate and sell at 300g). The second way takes a bit more time to change the Auctioneer price, but I personally found it was better to spend more time in exploiting the price than trying to keep track of an inflated price and a desired price.

Once you figure out what you want to get out of an item keep posting the item(s) for that price. You gotta stick to your guns if you want to make money this way. If you start dropping the price on items every time an item doesn’t sell you’re losing out on a lot of profit. I literally carried some items for months (or longer) because I was never going to give items away for less than I wanted. It may seem like you’d lose money, but I made a crap ton more doing it this way as opposed to steadily dropping prices until an item sold.

I found Auctionator to be a must have with this strategy since it saved me a lot of time posting my auctions. Igor’s also is helpful but won’t save you much time with this strat. Always use Postal though. The name of the game is picking add-ons that save time and have good interfaces. If it has neither, it’s not worth your time.

Over time, expect to get noticed. Some people will catch onto what you’re doing and not be very happy about it. But ultimately you’re just trying to take your little share of the pie. And as long as people buy your items (and they will), who cares. Others will become fanboys because they think what you’re doing is genius. And still others will think you’re some gold farmer, Chinaman, or someone that dupes/exploits items. Since you’ll likely get noticed I recommend you use a character that is not a main character that you play.

In the end, you’ll end up with a lot of items and a lot of gold as well. As of a month ago, my Total Gold Acquired was over 400,000g (and that’s only since they began tracking that with the achievement system), had hundreds of items on the AH, had people transferring regularly to buy items from me, and had 6 Gbanks full of items. I’m certainly not the richest person but I always had more than enough gold lying around for whatever I needed/wanted.

You may think that it’s pointless to have all those items just sitting around, but if you choose the right kind of item, the item will always be worth more than the gold. Think about it: gold always inflates. If you have 1000g and put it away in your Gbank for a year you end up having 1000g once the year is up and you’ll be able to buy less with 1000g than you could’ve a year ago. But if you pick the right kind of item to bank away it’ll only increase in value. For example, you can pick up an item for 1000g and in a year it’ll be worth 4000g. What you’re basically doing is investing your gold in items and either staying up with inflation or beating it. You can always sell the item if you get hard up for gold, but if you do things right you’ll still have plenty of gold to go and buy whatever you need. You may still think it’s pointless to have all those items when you can have gold. But it depends on your end game. For me, my end game was making money off my account and I knew I’d get more for the items than the gold.

Strategy 301​

Add-ons Needed:

• Auctioneer

• Igor’s Mass Auction

• Postal

Capital Needed:

You’re going to need a lot of capital to make this work effectively.

Strategy:

For this strategy you will be creating a real life monopoly (which is perfectly legal within the confines of WoW). What you’ll want to do is find major events within WoW that allow you to make a killing off a monopoly. This usually happens with a major patch or when an expansion is released. You can create a monopoly at any time within WoW, but I’ve found it to be a lot of work for very little profit (not to mention it’s very risky).

I picked two occasions to pull off very successful monopolies in the life of WoW: the releases of BC and WotLK. Both of those expansions introduced new professions that required raw materials to level up (Jewelcrafting and Inscriptions, respectively). And there’s always a ton of people that want to level those new professions up as fast as they can, looking to make a profit as one of the only people that can make [blank]. So I decided to pinpoint mining mats for the release of BC and herbs for the release of WotLK. I know anyone can do this and there’s been many guides that recommend this kinda thing. But what separates my strat is the fact that you’ll be creating a monopoly and as a result be making a lot more gold. When you have a lot of people agreeing not to undercut each other it’ll only mean more profit for all.

Once you’ve picked the event you want to pinpoint you’ll want to buy and bank as many of those soon-to-be in super high demand items and also begin talking with other people that have lots of gold and/or sell a ton of items on the auction house. Pitch your monopoly to them and sign them up. From my experience they’ll be really interested and things will go smoothly. But even if you tell them the whole idea and they try to screw you, you’ll be fine. The fact is the demand will be so high it won’t matter if they try to undercut your monopoly.

As you get close to D-day distribute the agreed price that everyone in on the monopoly agrees to sell the item(s) for. The agreed price should be about 5x what the going rate is prior to D-day.

Once D-day hits, everyone posts their auctions at the agreed prices and sits back and waits for the gold to roll in. At the release of BC I made about 3000g profit in one day doing this (which was a ton back then for those who weren’t around then) and at the release of WotLK I made about 28,000g profit in one day doing this (which was a ton for then too).

Thanks​

Thanks for reading my guide. Hope it will help you to make a ton of gold. Feel free to point as many people as you want to this guide, but I ask that you not distribute it nor try to sell it for profit without my written consent. I can be contacted by PM at Twinkinfo.com if you need to get a hold of me for any reason.

-Inkobah

This is my first swing at things...I'll be editing it later. I welcome constructive criticism from people that have experience writing guides. Thanks and enjoy.

-Ink

/Reserved for later use

I'll begin working on Strategy 401 if you guys are interested. Let me know.

-Ink

/Reserved10

Sticking w/ Guide to Auctioning as I don't want people to get confused and think it's just an Auctioneer (the mod) Guide. Thanks for the suggestion though...keep 'em coming.

-Ink

Well, i think that the thread could have been call Guide to Auctioneering. But still am yet to try it out, i will tommorow and yeah well written.

Yes, nice guide. What is funny is that without thinking, I employ these strats already. :)

Thanks. Now others will be able to compete with my gold raising prowess. hehe...

oh and I just made 5000 gold last night QUICK. Not really viable for most, but I was transfering a character and checked the AH where I was going and saw that there were only 3 Primordal Saronites on their AH for 1350g or more. On the server I was coming from, they were going for 1000-1100g each and there were plenty. I bought 16 Primordal Saronites before I transferred and put them up on the new server's AH and sold them all in 3 hours for 1400 each. Luckily for me, there was a guy doing the quest where you need like 20 of them and my guess was that this was the reason the AH had very few on there.

So a tip... end gamers will pay extra for things when they are a) too lazy to farm it or b) in a hurry... like the guy getting his orange weapon last night.

Other tips...

1. Buy up cheap rep items... ie... Pristine Black Diamonds...

2. Pay attention to upcoming patch notes to see what will skyrocket in value. I missed the boat on one, but Slyfox made a mint buying frozen orbs for 4-5g each before the patch notes made it's rounds on the blogs.

3. END GAME BOE items. I've made 1000's off buying and selling END GAME BOE items like the sack of wonder, marrogar's ring, etc... ps. Made 10k gold off Blood Queen Choker on Bleeding Hollow recently.

4. Obvious is Obvious... but scan for twink items that are uber rare. I use auction snatch add on for seaching all the servers I have bank alts on for rare items.

5. Be smart...

Thanks for the guide, lots of good stuff here I'd like to try. What happens when all the market's are all ready spoken for? When there's already a lot of people competing to make a profit in the AH and control the prices of high demand goods? I used to buy and sell twink gear on thunderhorn and made a little money to make it fun for me but I never made a lot at it. Now that I switched realms to a high pop twink realm it's clear there's already a couple people on that market and I haven't found many twink items I could resell for profit.

The more I play this game the more items I find that are in demand, it take's a lot of experience to know all the items that will sell. Would you be able to make a list of all the in demand items within the various markets? I'm sure that would take a ton of time to do and mabye that would be giving away too many secrets. Are there any websites around that list all the in demand items that sell on the AH?

Porksoda said:
Thanks for the guide, lots of good stuff here I'd like to try. What happens when all the market's are all ready spoken for? When there's already a lot of people competing to make a profit in the AH and control the prices of high demand goods? I used to buy and sell twink gear on thunderhorn and made a little money to make it fun for me but I never made a lot at it. Now that I switched realms to a high pop twink realm it's clear there's already a couple people on that market and I haven't found many twink items I could resell for profit.

The more I play this game the more items I find that are in demand, it take's a lot of experience to know all the items that will sell. Would you be able to make a list of all the in demand items within the various markets? I'm sure that would take a ton of time to do and mabye that would be giving away too many secrets. Are there any websites around that list all the in demand items that sell on the AH?

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

There is always going to be competition so don't be surprised if certain markets are spoken for. The key for me was diligence. I was more diligent at "my craft" than anyone else and that allowed me to get an edge on any competition. My competitors always came and went but none outlasted me (I did it for 4 years straight). Just because there's competition doesn't mean you shouldn't pick that as a niche market (it could mean that but not necessarily).

Edit: I also made friends with my competition which helped in certain situations. There's always going to be one dick in the bunch but most people that spend a good amount of time in the AH are pretty friendly and willing to work with you (at least from my experience).

I always made more money on servers with low population of twinks by the way. Lightninghoof was by far my most profitable server (the numbers I referenced above were only from my Lightninghoof character - there were 3 other servers on which I did this).

There are a lot of items that are in high demand and I frankly don't know them all. Mortox made a guide outlining some of these items and I'd recommend you check it out (if you haven't already). Also check out gear guides for twinks (if you are planning on picking that niche) and frequent wowhead. Those two places will help you begin to learn what these items are. It's going to take some homework, but the rewards are pretty crazy. I'm not so interested in getting into the specific items as I am in helping people to understand the mechanics and big picture. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Ink

Good deal alert... last night, on my main, I found a POD for 2k... Being that I am in the know with people looking for stuff, 1 PM and it was sold for 20k. I know I could have got more, but I am no super greedy, plus I am pretty sure he plans to resell it to a guildie. I figure he'll profit about 5k on it.

POINT: Keep your eyes out, the deals pop up here and there.

Thanks for putting me on the main page, Drayner. It was a bit of a surprise to log on TI this morning and see my guide on the front page.

-Ink

option 3 got my vanilla account permabanned. and yeah, it technically is legal for WoW, but it really sucked losing a warlord and a blood guard for nothing.

Auctioneer= Failure.

End.

Cyww. said:
Your sig = failure. It's so damn big. Fix it.

ps: Armory sigs are not allowed.

End.

I have no damn idea where you red that, whatever.

Lick his ass more.

Auctioneer = Fail. That's it.

option 3 got my vanilla account permabanned. and yeah, it technically is legal for WoW, but it really sucked losing a warlord and a blood guard for nothing.

Are you sure it was for monopolizing and not something else? I've heard that claim from someone else before but in further conversation it was revealed that there was a legit reason why their account was banned. And if you're confident that this was the reason did Blizz explicitly tell you that?

bankbeauty said:
I have no damn idea where you red that, whatever.

Lick his ass more.

Auctioneer = Fail. That's it.

Please don't lick anyone's ass at all...gross! Auctioneer is fail. I'm not sure if you're trying to say that the guide is stupid on that basis or what your point was...but if you're trying to say that my guide sucks on that basis you should read Section 201. That one points out how to exploit Auctioneer bc of it's fail-ness. For the record, I haven't used Auctioneer in about 2 years...and I've made way more money without it than I did with it. If you still think it sucks, that's cool idc.

-Ink

You could add that for the week that you use the scan with the Auctioneer you can play around with cheap cloth to get used to the auctioneer functions. Also I found BigPicture a huge help to evaluate my profit after the end of the day.

Ancient said:
You could add that for the week that you use the scan with the Auctioneer you can play around with cheap cloth to get used to the auctioneer functions. Also I found BigPicture a huge help to evaluate my profit after the end of the day.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately for me I haven't used Auctioneer in like 2 years so I'm not even familiar enough with the interface anymore to be able to describe this. Feel free to add some more info about playing around w/ cheap cloth and BigPicture (as I haven't ever used it).

-Ink

Users who are viewing this thread