Hunter's Pets and Leveling XP Management Mini Guide

Discussion in '19s (Vanilla)' started by Bowner, Oct 25, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Twinkmkfour

Twinkmkfour Member

can we get this sticked please @Zemmix ? it's some serious tink info

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zemmix

Zemmix A.B.C. Moderator

Sure thing, man.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leiloa

Leiloa New Member

First time twinking a hunter. Accidentally got a little too much xp in the starter zone before learning about The Rake, so I've decided to keep my current boar and go for a Slavering Worg at 17 instead. Might have extra exploration XP from going to SFK but can probably make up for that. Might just get the two pets instead of also grabbing a Wind Serpent.

Thanks for the guide. If I'd read it first wouldn't have made that small mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Valgash

Valgash Grandfathered

Great guide. Helped a lot! A++++ bro

5. ghank

ghank Member

Thank you thank you!. Followed the guide pretty closely and have the 2 18 pets and 17 rake with 1/4 of the experience to 20. Boy this hunter is so OP. It'll be nice having a few choices for pets. Now I just need my libram chants and a couple BOEs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    Bowner

Bowner Coordinator 19s Coordinator

Aye awesome! Glad it is being of use to people who want to perfect their hunter ! :)

7. Snack

Snack Salty

Wait so Elder Crag Boars etc from Dun Morogh cant learn Charge rank 2?

8. OP
    Bowner

9. Snack

Snack Salty

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  10. OP
    Bowner

Not that big of a loss, you still got the root with charge for 1 second. Just can't put out as much damage as another boar. Did you get bite atleast on it?

11. Snack

Snack Salty

Nope. No bite, only r1 charge and growl lol. I might just get a lvl 17 boar and get it to lvl 18. Should be able to without dinging 20. You thinkg that would be worth @Bowner ?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  12. OP
    Bowner

Eh think your fine with what you got atm.

13. Acann

Acann Member

To save yourself even more unnecessary experience gains, let your pet kill mobs without your character attacking them and when the mobs die you won't gain any experience, but you can still learn pet abilities; you can Mend Pet when needed.

14. TeeKay

TeeKay New Member

Does your pet still get xp like this? If so, it could have been extremely useful for me.

I'd also like to pile on the importance of this guide for first-timers. My first twink was a 19 hunter and he's roughly 400 xp from dinging 20. I hosed up the pet xp for my Rake, put off getting him his last level, then was fully rested when finally getting him to 19 (so f'ing dumb, but I was just too damn excited to jump into the action I guess). When getting my fishing hat, I could go to the Naga island to fish, but if I explored just a couple more zones, it would have been the end (I actually did explore one by accident while running from a Naga...). I just didn't grasp the amount of xp I was going to get from those late level quests.

Edit: Also, there seems to be a lot of boar-is-best comments throughout this thread so I want to reinforce @Bowner 's point about multiple pets for different situations. Actually, not so much different "situations" as different "roles". I'm consistently on EFC attacking duty, so I bring Rakey Rakey eggs and Bakey with me every single BG. When you're trying to burn down an EFC, sicking Rake on their healer while you Wing Clip spam/dps the EFC is a must. Also for first-timers, put your pet on Passive ffs; get used to micro.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  15. OP
    Bowner

Aye glad it was able to help out!

16. nodoze

nodoze Member

Vehemity, Thanks for this tip:
    Bowner,

Great guide. Thanks for putting it together.

I found the overall thread beneficial to read and found some helpful nuggets of wisdom buried throughout the thread that would make sense to put into the guide in the 'Initial Post' at the top of thread.

With that in mind I respectfully recommend the following adjustment to this already great guide:

In Classic you are limited to 3 Pets in your stable and the 3 Pets we recommend are:

- The Rake : 1.12 attack speed best in 19s for giving casters/healers push-back;
    - Deviate Stinglash : Range attack + Magic Damage, good vs classes like paladin/shaman/warriors/druids;
    - Great Goretusk : Default "go-to" pet due to Charge CC ability (1sec slow);

Since the Great Goretusk boar will likely be your default pet you take to battlegrounds the most it can be helpful to get a Staff of Conjuring to be able to make free food to keep you main pet happy and loyal.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OP
    Bowner

Aye thank you! Staff of Conjuring if useful, kinda niche but one day you will need to use it cause you forgot to q'd in a solo q BG and got no pet food :D

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)