How to set up and use Ventrilo

Yde

Worg
I have had some people with trouble setting up Vent ask me for help, but it's a bit hard to explain in game.
Here's a little step-by-step guide:

How to download Ventrilo

⇛ Ventrilo Homepage: Ventrilo - Surround Sound Voice Communication Software
⇛ Got to: Download
⇛ Select the correct Client Program for your Operating System.
⇛ On the following page you will need to click I Agree to accept the Ventrilo Terms of Service.
⇛ The download will be a .zip file. Decompress and follow the installation instructions to install it.
⇛ You should now have Ventrilo in your Programs folder.

How to set up Ventrilo

⇛ In your Programs folder, open Ventrilo.
⇛ Your User Name and Server will not be set yet.

24101056.png

⇛ Click on the arrow next to User Name: ( ➤ )
⇛ In the window that pops up, click on: ( New )

41627735.png

⇛ Enter your desired name and click on: ( OK )
⇛ Click on: ( OK )

15561428.png

⇛ Click on the arrow next to Server: ( ➤ )
⇛ Click on: ( New )

45169357.png

⇛ Enter the desired server name (for example Twinkinfo) and click on: ( OK )

32832889.png

⇛ Enter the server information found in the Global Sticky here: TI Ventrilo Information
Hostname or IP: fluorine.typefrag.com
Port number: 36606
Password: tinkinfo​

57116931.png

⇛ Click on: ( Setup )
⇛ Click in the Hotkey field. Press the key you would like to use for talking.
⇛ Optional: If you get the feedback that you are very loud or very quiet from several people, you could turn your Outbound sound amplification up or down in this menu.

74378074.png

⇛ Optional: If you want to turn off some or all of the sound notifications used by Ventrilo, click on the Events tab in the Setup. Change the sounds, for example to: ( All Nothing )

22270166.png

How to connect and chat

⇛ Click on: ( Connect )
⇛ You are now in the Twinkinfo.com Vent.
⇛ Select a channel and enter it by double clicking.

13464876.png

⇛ If you hold the key you have set up for PTT, you will start broadcasting. The icon next to your name will change to indicate that you are broadcasting:

77151766.png

⇛ Optional: If you want to optimize Ventrilo sound and protect your ears, follow the instructions by the awesome Sneaky and Slyddur! Unfortunately this is not yet available on a Mac. :/

Finally found it. Taken from Slyddur:

"Ventrilo equalizer" makes everyone in ventrilo the same level of volume.

1) Go to Setup:

-Enable Direct Sound
-Select the SFX Button
-Select Compressor and click Add.

2) Under Compressor Properties use the following settings:

-Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be = ~ (20)
-Attack = (0.01)
-Release = ~(500)
-Threshold = ~ (-30)
-Ratio = (100)
-Pre delay = (4.0)

This not only conveniently makes everyone the same volume so you don't have to turn anyone up or down, but it also protects you from 'screamers' in vent.

⇛ Optional: If you are on a Mac and someone is either very loud or very quiet, you can adjust their individual volume.
⇛ Attention: This might cause lag.
⇛ Right click the user's name and select Miscellaneous > Special effects...

27656096.png

⇛ Adjust the slider and click on: ( OK )

89408038.png

⇛ You can open a private chat by right clicking the user's name and selecting User > Private chat...

⇛ If you're on F2P Aerie Peak US, there are password secured guild channels available.
⇛ You need to ask for the password from senior players, and you will likely not get it unless you have been present at level 20 for a while.

bildschirmfoto20120718u.png

Why join vent?

There's an awesome blog post by Billow about this:
On a whim: Vent. Get on it.

Good luck! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:)

About the Guild channel passwords, I think they should be given out in game or in vent, and with caution. I don't feel I've been on AP long enough to decide yet, so I refer people to those who've been here longer. :)

The TI remodeling ate my original Vent guide, so I recreated it. For anyone who has trouble setting up Vent. Explaining in game is just a bit too tedious. ^^

Your SS posted joining the 20-24 vent, there is a AP f2p hord/ally seperate chat, you might want to post that as a alternative for those on AP

I know, I just wanted to keep this free of names and AP Horde and Ally were full :)
Will edit that in.

There's a way you can set Ventrilo so that all sound is at an equal volume (I've seen someone mention it some where). If you know what I'm talking about, it would be a very nice addition to your guide. It would prevent the problem of someone's voice being too quiet or too loud.

Also you might want to throw a link to this guide in your signature so more people can see it. The General Twink Guides subsection isn't visited very often, unfortunately.

There's a way you can set Ventrilo so that all sound is at an equal volume (I've seen someone mention it some where). If you know what I'm talking about, it would be a very nice addition to your guide. It would prevent the problem of someone's voice being too quiet or too loud.

Also you might want to throw a link to this guide in your signature so more people can see it. The General Twink Guides subsection isn't visited very often, unfortunately.

I will look into this, don't know how to do this myself, yet.

And I edited my signature, but not sure how many people will look there to find a vent guide. ^^

Finally found it. Taken from Slyddur:

"Ventrilo equalizer" makes everyone in ventrilo the same level of volume.

1) Go to Setup:

-Enable Direct Sound
-Select the SFX Button
-Select Compressor and click Add.

2) Under Compressor Properties use the following settings:

-Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be = ~ (20)
-Attack = (0.01)
-Release = ~(500)
-Threshold = ~ (-30)
-Ratio = (100)
-Pre delay = (4.0)

This not only conveniently makes everyone the same volume so you don't have to turn anyone up or down, but it also protects you from 'screamers' in vent.

This is awesome, thank you, will add to guide! Unfortunately not available on Macs yet. :(

Excellent guide! Thanks for making this.

Users who are viewing this thread