Hoping for some clarification

PhotoGruffer

I was just wondering if someone could explain (or direct me to an existing explanation link) with regard to the difference between Hellscream's Warbow and the commonly discussed Thas'dorah.

On the surface, other than the minor stat differences, why is Thas'dorah recommended for twinking a MM hunter? I mean, if you make a 19 MM hunter, the stats for Hellscream's are higher. Am I missing something? Please be gentle, I am still trying to get a grasp on how scaling works.

Last edited:
Also, if you dont have the BoA already it's irrelevant cuz it's not obtainable anymore (think it was end of MoP?).

If you gem the heirloom with +3 agi gems, they are very similar with the ilvl 34 artifact coming ahead. One thing to consider is that you can add higher-level scopes to the bow by sending it to a higher-level character and mailing it back, but it seems that most of the enchants don't proc or give the damage increase (tested with the former BFA BiS https://www.wowhead.com/item=44739/diamond-cut-refractor-scope - does nothing. Maybe there's a good high-level enchant that I haven't tested yet though that may make the heirloom more fun :)).

I decided to check some numbers for whoever is curious (only have the artifact gun at ilvl 34 but afaik it's the same stats and dps as the bow)

With ilvl 34 artifact equipped, aimed shot tooltip is 942 damage, arcane shot 227
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 1.35.04 PM.png

With warbow equipped, aimed shot tooltip is 931 damage, arcane shot 225
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 1.35.38 PM.png

This was tested out of bg on this character and ofc keeping constant gear/buffs between the comparisons.

If you gem the heirloom with +3 agi gems, they are very similar with the ilvl 34 artifact coming ahead. One thing to consider is that you can add higher-level scopes to the bow by sending it to a higher-level character and mailing it back, but it seems that most of the enchants don't proc or give the damage increase (tested with the former BFA BiS https://www.wowhead.com/item=44739/diamond-cut-refractor-scope - does nothing. Maybe there's a good high-level enchant that I haven't tested yet though that may make the heirloom more fun :)).

I decided to check some numbers for whoever is curious (only have the artifact gun at ilvl 34 but afaik it's the same stats and dps as the bow)

With ilvl 34 artifact equipped, aimed shot tooltip is 942 damage, arcane shot 227
View attachment 17886

View attachment 17885

This was tested out of bg on this character and ofc keeping constant gear/buffs between the comparisons.

This is excellent info and helped me visualize the comparison, so thank you very much! :D

View attachment 17886

View attachment 17885

I was asking this question in another thread yesterday:
The dmg per second on the ilvl49 weapon is high.. How do you calculate that dmg per sec in a combat scenario ? Does it matter more than the overall dmg as a result of the total primary stat? I usually look at my overall dmg as a result of my total primary stat, meaning I try to push my primary stat as far as it can go, if an item has a socket, I will use primary stat gem.. But sometimes I feel the extremely high ilvl gears which has more dmg per sec seem to affect some of my dmg output, in what way, I cannot tell
So far I am playing the 10-19 and 20-29 bracket, haven't touch much of the 30 upwards.. The artifact keeps showing more dmg than warbow even after warbow gets 2 +3agil gem.. Can't figure out where the difference went except the damage per second difference between the two

Users who are viewing this thread