Help my 49 Warlock Guide

My 49 Warlock Guide is in progress right now, and I could use some help! I feel that I'm pretty knowledgeable on the subject, but there's always things that I miss.

The current issue that I need assistance is the myriad of Chardev profiles and talent calculators that I have posted. I know SL/SL like the back of my hand, but other specs I'm more iffy about. The link is here:

http://twinkinfo.com/forums/user-submitted-guides/4220-49-warlock-guide.html#post45850

I'm looking for feedback mostly on gear especially on reaching the highest damage possible for fire destro and crit builds (and talent calculators to a lesser extent). When posting please direct me to which spec and which chardev/talents you are referring to. Thanks again!

-Tai

gear

I don't know much about locks, but I have seen some ppl using Chloromesh Girdle, which you didn't include in your builds... I think it is the best possible waist for affliction locks (and those are pain in the ... for me) if you have healer at your side... :)

If you are looking for the highest damage possible, yes Chloromesh is very good, however Banthok's has hit rating, which for casters is a little harder to come by.

me likes, I'd chuck in [item]Blighted Leggings[/item] in the legs list though, they have a slight edge over shadoweave ones despite the effort needed to obtain them.

tweedledum said:
me likes, I'd chuck in [item]Blighted Leggings[/item] in the legs list though, they have a slight edge over shadoweave ones despite the effort needed to obtain them.

Thank you, I haven't checked a lot of the BoP leggings yet. I'll add those tonight!

Another Bump: Gear Guide is completed except for weapon, OH, and wand. Feedback appreciated! :)

Affliction lock

Taitaih said:
If you are looking for the highest damage possible, yes Chloromesh is very good, however Banthok's has hit rating, which for casters is a little harder to come by.

If I am not wrong, all you need is shadow spell damage and stamina. Ofc only if your spec is affliction... Locks are very nice against casters and warriors, but ench shamans and rogues are nightmare for you :)... ench especially. That's why do you need as much stamina as possible! Chloromesh is good only if you have healer, and Banthok's hit rating, stamina and intellect are very nice. But if you are going for engineering + mining you will be able to equip Green Lens with 10sta + 30sta buff from engineering which is also very nice. In that case I would go with Chloromesh, however you don't want to miss fear or dead coil so hit rating might be superior to SP, I agree. :)

Taitaih said:
Another Bump: Gear Guide is completed except for weapon, OH, and wand. Feedback appreciated! :)

I saw ppl using Glowing Brightwood Staff, but I don't like it. I would go with Arbiter's Blade + Drakestone of healing (if you can get it), if not Enthralled Sphere is very good as well. Scrying Wand is easy obtained if you are playing alliance and Pyric Caduceus is also very good drop from BRD...

Seleucidis said:
I saw ppl using Glowing Brightwood Staff, but I don't like it. I would go with Arbiter's Blade + Drakestone of healing (if you can get it), if not Enthralled Sphere is very good as well. Scrying Wand is easy obtained if you are playing alliance and Pyric Caduceus is also very good drop from BRD...

I have a whole slew of weapons in my head right now :). Just haven't gotten around to adding them all yet.

Seleucidis said:
If I am not wrong, all you need is shadow spell damage and stamina. Ofc only if your spec is affliction... Locks are very nice against casters and warriors, but ench shamans and rogues are nightmare for you :)... ench especially. That's why do you need as much stamina as possible! Chloromesh is good only if you have healer, and Banthok's hit rating, stamina and intellect are very nice. But if you are going for engineering + mining you will be able to equip Green Lens with 10sta + 30sta buff from engineering which is also very nice. In that case I would go with Chloromesh, however you don't want to miss fear or dead coil so hit rating might be superior to SP, I agree. :)

I chose Herbalism/Mining as my two professions because the herbalism heal + Demon Skin(1200 + (1200*0.20)) is pretty hot and definitely worth more than the 10 stam you get from Green Lens. I'll explain my choices when I eventually get to the Professions section.

And yes, stam+shadow damage is basically a priority as a warlock. Enhance shamans should actually be a fairly easy fight. You can dispel their slows and keep CoEX on them and kite them forever. Their mana pool is drained very quickly and will leave you open for a easy spell lock when they try to heal. Just take their totems down as you go.

Rogues are a little tougher, but they are beatable if you play your cards perfectly (and you have a little room for error in there as well).

Bump: The gear guide is now 100% completed, and ready for a full viewing/critique.

I added some macros that I know of, working on addons tomorrow when I get home.

lookin good m8

Taitaih said:
I added some macros that I know of, working on addons tomorrow when I get home.

I will disagree with you in some things... I am sure ench saman is not easy for lock. It is true you can kite them, but not so easy as you think :D... I never played lock, but I played 2vs2 with lock. He was one of the best locks I have ever played with (and I was resto shaman). It was at lvl 70 and biggest nightmare for us was priest + rogue or resto druid + ench shaman. We hit 2150 rating and after that point those 2 teams were raping us all the time. It is not so different at lvl 49... Ench shaman is much better after 3.1 patch since he can freeze you in place, and after patch 3.2 you will not be able to slow him down below his normal movement speed. Macros will also be removed, so you will have to target each totem and destroy it with wand or something else. It was so annoying to see locks or hunters pets eating all those totem with just one click. I like herbalism and it is very nice to have it... but don't forget that engineering was and still is most imba profession in this game :D... :cool:

High level pvp does not equal level 49 pvp. I would say enhancement shamans are moderately difficult for locks, but they aren't the most difficult fight for us. Elemental Shamans actually have the potential to do more damage to us than Enhancement in this bracket. Either way though, a SL/SL warlock should win against any breed of shaman in 49s if played correctly.

There's a reason I didn't include a pet totem stomping macro with the macros because they will be removed.

About 95% of the useful engineering stuff (pyro rocket, nitro boots, etc) can and are useful in 80 arena. Since bombs/grenades cannot be used in an arena setting which limits many 49 engineering items to just BGs. With my full cooldowns (AGM, Healthstone, herbalism and bandage), it takes over 15000 damage to kill me.

Great guide. Wish I had this when I was gearing up. I'm not done yet, but this is me... The World of Warcraft Armory

A couple of suggestions...

Swashbuckler Sash might have a spot on your belt list.

Revelosh's Gloves of the eagle/healing/fiery wrath might also make the gloves list.

I've also been having a lot of fun with a 23/17/0 build with instant seduce and +demon armor. My survivability has gone way up vs. rogs and wars, and helps me regain that much needed distance in a bind. I don't always top damage meters any longer, but I can now survive against other good twinks, and that makes it hellafun.

23/17/0

Taitaih said:
High level pvp does not equal level 49 pvp. I would say enhancement shamans are moderately difficult for locks, but they aren't the most difficult fight for us. Elemental Shamans actually have the potential to do more damage to us than Enhancement in this bracket. Either way though, a SL/SL warlock should win against any breed of shaman in 49s if played correctly.

There's a reason I didn't include a pet totem stomping macro with the macros because they will be removed.

About 95% of the useful engineering stuff (pyro rocket, nitro boots, etc) can and are useful in 80 arena. Since bombs/grenades cannot be used in an arena setting which limits many 49 engineering items to just BGs. With my full cooldowns (AGM, Healthstone, herbalism and bandage), it takes over 15000 damage to kill me.

This will be my last post ;)

I will have to disagree with you one more time. No matter if you are lvl 49, 70 or 80... decent lock will kill any elemental shaman, I mean lock should kill any elemental shaman... trust me. Ench shaman should win against lock very easy. I already killed many lvl 59 DKs, so there is no rule... if you face a tard you will win, no matter what class do you play or what lvl difference is between you two. But I was speaking about equal players here. Lets say 2 equally skilled players: lock and elem shaman. Lock should win! That was my point and my opinion, or if you wish, my experience :).

And I like your professions! I will agree that herbalism is superior for lock and any other class for arenas, but I don't play arena very much because of insane long queue! I would go for engineering with mage and shaman, but Herbalism is also very good especially for lock.

Good luck with your twink... :)

Unless you've played as an enhancement shaman in 49s or played as a lock in 49s, my opinion on enhance v. SL/SL lock stands as well. Shamans give us too many magical debuffs that our felhunter can turn into 500+ heals every 8 seconds (IE Stormstrike and Frost Shock). High level locks have no reason to use glyph of felhunter, however for 49 locks, that glyph is perhaps the most overpowered part of our arsenal. Healing ourselves for 500 every 8 seconds against a shaman is huge.

Spartyj said:
Great guide. Wish I had this when I was gearing up. I'm not done yet, but this is me... The World of Warcraft Armory

A couple of suggestions...

Swashbuckler Sash might have a spot on your belt list.

Revelosh's Gloves of the eagle/healing/fiery wrath might also make the gloves list.

I've also been having a lot of fun with a 23/17/0 build with instant seduce and +demon armor. My survivability has gone way up vs. rogs and wars, and helps me regain that much needed distance in a bind. I don't always top damage meters any longer, but I can now survive against other good twinks, and that makes it hellafun.

23/17/0

Well hopefully come time 3.2, you'll be able to perfect him :).

I will throw in revelosh and the belt for the gear guide. I don't run with the succubus for SL/SL but I do for fire destro. Felhunter imo is the best SL/SL spec since glyph of felhunter is so great.

Users who are viewing this thread