Head enchants getting grandfathered?

From a recent blue:

Head enchants are gone.

We decided that putting head enchants on the various faction vendors wasn't working well with our design intent for the factions. There is a lot of max-level quest content in MoP, much of it focused around the reputation with the new factions. I think it's really cool stuff -- worlds away from the old Argent Dawn scourge stone days. :)

In previous expansions, the head enchants on the faction vendors served to force players into that content. You couldn't even choose which reputation to pursue -- you had to pursue the one with your specific head enchant. Our design intent for MoP is to give players options in how to play, and the head enchant design wasn't compatible with that.

Once we decided to no longer offer new head enchants, we made the older ones non-functional or else players would feel like they had to go back to older content or be missing out on power. This way, helmets are just no longer enchantable and you'll have one less required step to get a piece of loot ready to wear.

Shoulder enchants can now be provided by scribes, so those still exist, but they are also not part of the faction reputation system.

source: magical disuption has fractured this arcanum - MMO-Champion BlueTracker

MoP wowhead: Item Enhancements (Permanent) - Items - World of Warcraft

The question that arises is whether existing applied head enchants will get removed. Existing head enchants that are in your inventory appear to be unusable.

A reply from a poster: "I did note that the ones that I had already applied to the head peices are still there."

If someone with beta could clarify this a bit, that'd be sweet!

Beta is beta, so things could still change.

EDIT: Link to head enchants being grey: http://mop.wowhead.com/search?q=arcanum#items

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good change as long as far as endgame goes; I don't think any twink brackets will be significantly affected. That said, Blizzard seems to be actively removing what small shreds of character progression are left.

Once we decided to no longer offer new head enchants, we made the older ones non-functional or else players would feel like they had to go back to older content or be missing out on power. This way, helmets are just no longer enchantable and you'll have one less required step to get a piece of loot ready to wear.

No

lol10chars

Instead of making it simpler to get the arcanums they are just getting rid of them all together.

Says right there they'll become non-functional, though it's unclear if that applies to the item or the actual enchant.

Says right there they'll become non-functional, though it's unclear if that applies to the item or the actual enchant.

It does apply to the item, see arcanum - Wowhead Search . They are getting turned into grey quality items, kinda like the librams for vanilla spell ranks did. People mentioned the enchant still applies to your head. Wether you actually get stats from it, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it does.

God, I wish I had beta, so I could check this out. :(

Also note that leatherworking armor kits still seem to be applicable from what I can see on wowhead.

It does apply to the item, see arcanum - Wowhead Search . They are getting turned into grey quality items, kinda like the librams for vanilla spell ranks did. People mentioned the enchant still applies to your head. Wether you actually get stats from it, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it does.

God, I wish I had beta, so I could check this out. :(

Also note that leatherworking armor kits still seem to be applicable from what I can see on wowhead.
Well, we know it's the item, but not if it's the enchant itself yet.

The enchant items become worthless greys and the enchants WILL be gone from your helmets.
(source: ptr)

The enchant items become worthless greys and the enchants WILL be gone from your helmets.
(source: ptr)

Umm, today's PTR, just downloaded 20gb to see if my pets are still intact (fixed taming) and decide whether to bother getting guild rep for boas so i can apply zg chants i still have in bank.

3TDTK.jpg

gg50K.jpg

1lL58.jpg

UtxoT.jpg

k8NLZ.jpg

r4MIy.jpg

J1pwv.jpg

bwSJa.jpg

Pwx1N.jpg

anWfP.jpg

What I'm getting from your post is that the ZG head enchants seem to remain in any form. This is confirmed through the current wowhead MoP database here: Item Enhancements (Permanent) - Items - World of Warcraft . This might have been an oversight by Blizzard (maybe because it also fitted a leg slot).

On the other hand, all LW armor kits seem to have their tooltip adjusted to not include the head slot, example: Borean Armor Kit - Item - World of Warcraft .

Recent blue post:

* Head enchants removed
- Enchants that modify the gear in your head slot have been removed from the game. This includes older head enchants of every type.

This makes me wonder if the ZG enchants and old resistance enchants are the only exceptions (currently).

I was just on the PTR last night and observed the following:

-My helms still showed the ZG enchants
-I have a ZG enchant in my bank, and it was still functional
-I was able to apply the enchant to an unenchanted helm I have

So who knows what's going to happen. I'll do some further testing tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread