Gaming laptop... Tight budget.

Nidana

Legend
Hey there fellas.
I do know that gaming laptops for a low price don't really exist, but now I've got an opportunity to seriously upgrade my rig without having to spend a fortune. Looking for some advice.

I've been using a Lenovo G580 with an i3 and 635M for over a year. It's quite good value for money (I spent just about 400$) and perfectly fits my needs (which are mainly playing WoW and other older games like Oblivion and Fallout 3). Sometimes I feel like playing something modern but it usually doesn't last for long because of horribly low performance.

Now the money situation in my country is quite frightening because all the PCs and components cost twice as much as they did a couple of months ago. Yeah, Putin wants the whole country to go offline :)

I'm really scared it all can only go worse, so it's really the time to think about upgrading to a better machine before everything becomes as pricy as Alienware stuff.

I found a local dealer who offer a laptop for ridiculous 700$, and here it is...

Acer Aspire V3-772G.

Intel Core i5 4210m 2.6 GHz
6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
(!!!) GeForce GTX 850M 2Gb GDDR5
17.3 inch matte 1920x1080 display
Additional HDD slot, mSATA slot, 4 RAM slots
Metal finish

Looks damn solid, huh?

I'd love to know if anyone had experience using this device and if I should look for something else or just buy this one.

And yeah, 700$ is my monthly salary.
Aaaand yeah, don't tell me to look for a desktop please. I'm only interested in laptops.

Cheers, Nidana.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont get a laptop.

Expected such kinda answer to pop eventually.
I'm not going to assemble a desktop because it will be an overpriced piece of poop. I know how much all the components should cost but the real prices are way (WAY!) higher. Amazon isn't an option, they charge a 100$ delivery of a 100$ item.

That laptop can't be named a gaming laptop.

And yeah i too don't recomend laptops for gaming purposes. Multiple reasons.

Please! Don't make the mistake of getting a laptop. You can get a ~700$ desktop that can easily outperform most laptops.

I made the mistake of purchasing an Asus G73JH notebook about 4 years ago, for quite a hefty sum of money.
I'm still running with this rig, but I can barely even run wow (60 fps) above medium graphics.
Laptops are such a pain, they're much harder to dissassemble to clean the fans (which you will have to do) (It took me ~3 hours to disassemble, clean, and reassemble my rig)
Also, thermal paste goes bad, and getting into the motherboard is so scary with a laptop.
Lastly, laptop manufactures like to weld the components together, thus you would have to scrap your entire motherboard for an upgrade, and you're working with a limited amount of space.

Save yourself the headache, and just go with a desktop. Please.

I didn't aim for 200 fps either. But you'd want decent and constant 60 FPS on medium/high in WoW at least, isn't it?

Or at least that's my opinion about decent playing experience...

Now, with that GFX card of yours, you can't suistain those at 1080p resolution (the optimal resolution of your display).

As a bonus, remember that mobile gfx cards are weaker that PC ones. At least in your price range.

I have a better laptop with better cpu/gfx that the one at 700$ and still can't manage to have a decent WoW experience on it, i always rely on my desktop for games just because i find laptops unreliable for gaming.

Please! Don't make the mistake of getting a laptop. You can get a ~700$ desktop that can easily outperform most laptops.

I made the mistake of purchasing an Asus G73JH notebook about 4 years ago, for quite a hefty sum of money.
I'm still running with this rig, but I can barely even run wow (60 fps) above medium graphics.
Laptops are such a pain, they're much harder to dissassemble to clean the fans (which you will have to do) (It took me ~3 hours to disassemble, clean, and reassemble my rig)
Also, thermal paste goes bad, and getting into the motherboard is so scary with a laptop.
Lastly, laptop manufactures like to weld the components together, thus you would have to scrap your entire motherboard for an upgrade, and you're working with a limited amount of space.

Save yourself the headache, and just go with a desktop. Please.

I got rid of a desktop a year ago. Why? Because I had reasons. And they're still present.
I don't need a desktop because I'm never going to upgrade it. I've got neither time nor need to upgrade the hardware. I don't have much space for all this commutation and peripherials. I sacrificed performance for comfortand my current laptop is great at achieving this goal.
Cleaning is not a problem (especially with this very device which seems to be really easy to disassemble).

I didn't aim for 200 fps either. But you'd want decent and constant 60 FPS on medium/high in WoW at least, isn't it?

Or at least that's my opinion about decent playing experience...

Now, with that GFX card of yours, you can't suistain those at 1080p resolution (the optimal resolution of your display).

As a bonus, remember that mobile gfx cards are weaker that PC ones. At least in your price range.

I have a better laptop with better cpu/gfx that the one at 700$ and still can't manage to have a decent WoW experience on it, i always rely on my desktop for games just because i find laptops unreliable for gaming.

My i3, 635M and 4gb RAM runs WoW at 80FPS on high and only goes lower when there are many effects around (Elegon fights, etc.)

frames p/s is nice, but no need to over exert a pc's graphic capability just because it can. My Desktop can run on ultra any day, I'm sure a good custom laptop can run efficiently. In fact I've seen many laptops capable of high performance gaming.

But I do agree, for max performance, a tower has enough space and room to customize to optimal performance. But for something on the go, or something more comfortable with less back problem risk, laptops are handy.

I doubt we have the same understandings of graphic quality, steady FPS the way i doubt you're getting 80 FPS on HIGH with your i3 laptop with V-Sync on for the purpose of not getting tearing effects.

But nvm me, just buy that laptop and enjoy it ;)

frames p/s is nice, but no need to over exert a pc's graphic capability just because it can. My Desktop can run on ultra any day, I'm sure a good custom laptop can run efficiently. In fact I've seen many laptops capable of high performance gaming.

But I do agree, for max performance, a tower has enough space and room to customize to optimal performance. But for something on the go, or something more comfortable with less back problem risk, laptops are handy.

I've yet to find a laptop that runs WoW the way my desktop does and it's situated in 500-1600€ range.

Users who are viewing this thread