EU+US F2P/Vet and transmog - how does it work?

Like the title says.

What are the transmog level restrictions for a F2P account? Can you use anything level 60? Are PVP sets fair game? Raid tier sets?
I know Fel-Forged gear looks awesome but is unobtainable now. Are there any other cool sets/items worth going for?

Thanks!
With a pure F2P never having bought game time you wouldn’t have access to stuff past 20.

Veterans have access to all “60 mogs” (classic items) and below. Just like a regular non-vet twink would.

Any classic raid set is moggable. PvP wise the 1800 rbg set can be mogged. You’ll need to reach 1800 rating in specific class to unlock them. Or have the older achievement.
You can also mog old tier 3 naxx sets which are GFed. Only way to get them now is through BMAH which can be pricey.

The rest of the common/rare sets can easily be grinded in dungeons or bogught on AH.
Just look in your collection journal to see what you consider “cool” sets.

Does this mean that if it's obtainable with a main account then anything level 60 and below is usable for transmog?

If collected by a class that can use the armor type/weapon then yes

I.e. collecting plate on a clothie does not give you that appearance. Similarly, collecting a cloth item on a plate wearer will not give u the tmog. RIP to all the lucky fishing hats I have on warriors/hunters/rogues

Pure F2P? You're limited to what you can collect. There are some rare things that will give you the xmog without equipping them (gnomer boss drops and city rep cloaks for instance) and some things you have to equip on the right toons to get. For instance, vendor greens have to be equipped.

For vets, it's anything you've earned from vanilla gear. Worth noting, because I had trouble with this and want to save you the hassle, if the look you want is shared across gear from different xpacs, you must collect the actual gear from vanilla. Obviously, do so on a great appropriate toon.

I created a 2nd new account to put only "pure" f2p toons on. Because it is linked to my previously paid account (sub expired, now vet), i get access to all the mogs that vets do on my f2p toons.

Thank you for clarifying, Chops!

I created a 2nd new account to put only "pure" f2p toons on. Because it is linked to my previously paid account (sub expired, now vet), i get access to all the mogs that vets do on my f2p toons.

This is exactly what I did as well! I just didn't realize level 20 could use level 60 transmog gear! Since my F2P toon isn't the same gear type as my main, I'll have to sub again at some point and farm some.

There are some rare things that will give you the xmog without equipping them (gnomer boss drops and city rep cloaks for instance)...
Just in case some people haven't made the connection... these items work because it's technically not the "equipping" that normally gives you a transmog appearance, but the "soulbinding".

Boss drops and reputation items both "Bind when picked-up" (to prevent anyone from giving them to players that haven't "earned" them), so you don't have to equip these to make them soulbound.

Just in case some people haven't made the connection... these items work because it's technically not the "equipping" that normally gives you a transmog appearance, but the "soulbinding".

Boss drops and reputation items both "Bind when picked-up" (to prevent anyone from giving them to players that haven't "earned" them), so you don't have to equip these to make them soulbound.
That's the mechanic I was looking for but couldn't remember this morning

That's the mechanic I was looking for but couldn't remember this morning
;)

...some things you have to equip on the right toons to get.
There's also various odd "edge cases"; like if you purchase a "refundable" item using a unique currency (e.g., Darkmoon Prize Tickets), your character will immediately gain the transmog appearance... but none of your other characters will, until the item loses its "refundability" (either by your actions, or just waiting for it to expire). It will also delete the transmog from your collection if you do refund it.

Users who are viewing this thread