F2P "Ironman" Experiment

A lot of people will argue that twinking is all about gearing your toon to be the best it can be in order to dominate in battlegrounds, however one could make a point that with how Blizzard has recently designed classes, Spec and class makes more of a difference than gear. With 5.3 being recently released, I am planning on starting a project where I roll a fresh FOTM class and level him from 1-20 without using any armor, and only white and grey quality weapons. This will mean no grouping with others and no LFM dungeons. I will also be limiting my professions to only the following Mining -> Jewelcrafting -> Engineering. At 20 ideally, I will have 100 JC and Engineering to allow me a ring and tiger goggles to hit cap for BG's. I will also use a quest reward ring with +hit for melee classes/hunters and +hit trinket for spellcasting classes). I will be unable to use any buffs or consumables other than what my class can supply at level 20. With that toon, I will try my best to be as much of an asset to my team as possible. Would anyone be in me documenting my journey?

I have a few goals for this toon:

-Complete ALL non-dungeon quests available to a level 20 character
-Hopefully get revered with all Horde/Alliance factions
-Max out fishing and fish up rare items such as Darkmoon Fishing Hat, Stendel's Rings, Lucky Fishing Hat, etc.
-Obtain all WSG and AB achievements.
-Eventually "Of the Horde/Alliance" without any GY farming.

Again, the only gear I will be limiting myself with will be:

-Tiger's Eye Goggles, Vanity Hats, Fishing Hats if obtained.
-Grey or White quality weapons and shield.
-Insignia or Alliance/Horde
-Simple Pearl Ring
-Band of Eastern Strand, Ello's Band, Bravo Company Signet, or Demon Band if Rune of Perfection is not usable by class.
-Rune of Perfection and no second ring if usable by class.

Prepare to be crucified in bgs for not being geared. After all you're doing yourself and your team a huge disservice.

So,may we all know which fotm class are you going to roll?cus you know,some fotm classes are less dependent on gear than the other fotm classes

Sounds like a bad experiment, but whatever floats your boat. You're purposefully going to gimp yourself and your teams, which is infuriating for the people that are forced to group with you. Yeah, you're going to try your hardest to be useful... That's great. A totally naked level 20 running around autoattacking the other team is better than someone jumping once every couple minutes so they don't go afk... That doesn't mean they would be making a difference in the match. I guess I don't understand what you're trying to prove when anybody with half a brain I guess would agree that someone at least trying is better than someone not trying.

Sounds cool. Good luck!

I was under the impression that "Ironman" challenges involved one additional minor detail: ZERO DEATHS. Toons on the ironman challenge site were toons with zero deaths. Any toon that died, no matter what level, gets deleted upon death. Isn't that their basic rule? You should try doing THAT too :D

A lot of people will argue that twinking is all about gearing your toon to be the best it can be in order to dominate in battlegrounds, however one could make a point that with how Blizzard has recently designed classes, Spec and class makes more of a difference than gear. With 5.3 being recently released, I am planning on starting a project where I roll a fresh FOTM class and level him from 1-20 without using any armor, and only white and grey quality weapons. This will mean no grouping with others and no LFM dungeons. I will also be limiting my professions to only the following Mining -> Jewelcrafting -> Engineering. At 20 ideally, I will have 100 JC and Engineering to allow me a ring and tiger goggles to hit cap for BG's. I will also use a quest reward ring with +hit for melee classes/hunters and +hit trinket for spellcasting classes). I will be unable to use any buffs or consumables other than what my class can supply at level 20. With that toon, I will try my best to be as much of an asset to my team as possible. Would anyone be in me documenting my journey?

I have a few goals for this toon:

-Complete ALL non-dungeon quests available to a level 20 character
-Hopefully get revered with all Horde/Alliance factions
-Max out fishing and fish up rare items such as Darkmoon Fishing Hat, Stendel's Rings, Lucky Fishing Hat, etc.
-Obtain all WSG and AB achievements.
-Eventually "Of the Horde/Alliance" without any GY farming.

Again, the only gear I will be limiting myself with will be:

-Tiger's Eye Goggles, Vanity Hats, Fishing Hats if obtained.
-Grey or White quality weapons and shield.
-Insignia or Alliance/Horde
-Simple Pearl Ring
-Band of Eastern Strand, Ello's Band, Bravo Company Signet, or Demon Band if Rune of Perfection is not usable by class.
-Rune of Perfection and no second ring if usable by class.

/Respect for you man, I'll rather stick playing my hunter, I HATE lvling new toons and gearing them up.

Not sure why you would even use any non white gear though, I mean if you are going to go so far as to do a f2p ironman, why not go 'all the way'?

I've always thought the idea of a "Gimp" competition would be interesting. Set one lofty achievement as a target like say "of the Horde"...but the key is to get there with the fewest number of other achievement points possible.

That means not finishing any dungeons, bailing on any BG's you're about to win...very few quests...little looting. You'd basically just have character level achievements and HK achievements. Mix all that in with the 'no dying' from Ironman and you have yourself a very tough objective.

I've always thought the idea of a "Gimp" competition would be interesting. Set one lofty achievement as a target like say "of the Horde"...but the key is to get there with the fewest number of other achievement points possible.

That means not finishing any dungeons, bailing on any BG's you're about to win...very few quests...little looting. You'd basically just have character level achievements and HK achievements. Mix all that in with the 'no dying' from Ironman and you have yourself a very tough objective.

Sounds like a nightmare to be honest hahaha

Sounds cool. Good luck!

I was under the impression that "Ironman" challenges involved one additional minor detail: ZERO DEATHS. Toons on the ironman challenge site were toons with zero deaths. Any toon that died, no matter what level, gets deleted upon death. Isn't that their basic rule? You should try doing THAT too :D

I thought of that, but I would have to pull a Kale and afk everytime I was about to die.

I thought of that, but I would have to pull a Kale and afk everytime I was about to die.

Caught him doing that a few times this weekend. But come on! We ALL KNOW it's just a bad/laggy connection.... every.... single.... time. Give him a break. Guy's network equipment is probably just from like 1996 or something. Let's not hate. Maybe we can save up and buy the him a new modem or something?

But back OT. If anyone is interested in the Ironman Challenge here are the rules: WoW Ironman Challenge - Current Challengers
*Edit* I'm sure we could make a slightly different set of rules for f2p if we want. Or different goals, as you've done in this post. Keep the great ideas coming!
The main page lists the current players, and there are some AMAZING feats there. Things you wouldn't believe :D

***UPDATE***

So I thought about it and I do agree now that I would be putting myself and my team at a HUGE disadvantage by going into Bgs without any armor. I wanted to do something unique since I was getting bored with the usual level and gear grind after having created twinks in nearly all brackets. I have decided instead to level and gear a toon nearly passively (only BG's will be allowed). I will be taking my twink from 1-20 without quests, killing mobs, or dungeons. I will be gearing and leveling solely from exploration, professions, fishing, chest finding, and PVP.

Users who are viewing this thread