Execution Sentence: 3.4K on Training Dummy; 300 on player

Affi locks have a PvP talent that hits like a nuke on dummies, but fuck all in PvP (maybe just instanced)
With my gear it hits for 7.5k over 10 seconds on a 30 second cd. With all my dots up + Malefic Rapture, I do like 14k damage over a period of 12 seconds.

Maybe it has a damage modifier for pvp? like when i spec dfa as outlaw on training dummies it deals 0 damage when in pvp it does deal damage.

Maybe it has a damage modifier for pvp?

I'm sure there's tons we dont know about, just wish they were all listed somewhere. Blizz is so non-communicative.

I'm sure they probably mentioned it in a hotfix on some blue post 3 months ago, but how is anyone supposed to find that info? Web search turns up nothing useful, and most of that info has already been re-changed by the present time.

Maybe it has a damage modifier for pvp? like when i spec dfa as outlaw on training dummies it deals 0 damage when in pvp it does deal damage.

I'm sure there's tons we dont know about, just wish they were all listed somewhere. Blizz is so non-communicative.

I'm sure they probably mentioned it in a hotfix on some blue post 3 months ago, but how is anyone supposed to find that info? Web search turns up nothing useful, and most of that info has already been re-changed by the present time.
Ketchup mentioned it earlier. It is a PVP specific nerf.

Thing is, Blizz does these things (apparently this nerf is like, pre-Legion) and then never mentions them again and has no good system for letting you know. Like it'd be cool if the tooltip said like "Does X Damage (Y in pvp)" but they cant even manage that. So unless you've been carefully documenting patch notes for the past 8 years, some of this stuff might come as a surprise.

Ketchup mentioned it earlier.

If I recall, he said something akin to "pay attention to blue posts, noobs"... no offering of specifics other than that.

I know a damage reduction is a PvP thing, my curiosity became why the PvE damage was so incorrect.

Not really adding much but found this funny,

tried it on my ret set with minimal setup (sader up 5 holy charges consecration up) and got a 11.8k hit on the training dummy. Is your 3.4k a crit?

pve hero here I come!

11.8k.jpg

I could probably get higher but I'm super lazy. This would be pretty funny if it was the same in pvp. Maybe I'll try to hit something higher for the luls.

EDIT:

more luls were had, switched to tusk and hot 12.9k.
12.9k.jpg

with perfect setup could probably hit 15k but stacking 2 saders in this short window is lame. Might be the highest pve hitting ability at 20?

Last edited:
Is your 3.4k a crit?

It's supposed to be unable to crit, presumably because any crits adding up the 20% bonus would be doubledipping.

edit- also not really relevant, but all mine were done with rivendares sword not the artifact.

Execution Sentence was nerfed in PvP in November 9th, 2020, to deal -25% damage and be unable to crit.

This was due to a sick interaction with Final Reckoning (a lvl50 talent) which does a shit load of aoe holy damage and increases holy damage taken by 50%.
[doublepost=1612954876,1612949864][/doublepost]I'd argue that Zeal is a better talent because:

(1) the faster attacks synergize with the Crusader enchant;

(2) while Execution Sentence is punished by not doing damage, Zeal can store some extra stacks if you are forced to heal or only use Judgement;

(3) since Zeal adds a holy damage portion to your melee attacks, they can also benefit from Mastery (a not well known fact).

Last edited:
I just think it’s funny how Blizzard has dumbed this game down to the point of a monkey being able to get wrecking ball, yet also made tool tips and scaling so fucking convoluted, you need an advanced degree in rocket science to even skim the surface of how shit works. Reading what some people on this board have researched and figured out literally blows my mind (kudos to you smexy, smexy champions)... and we still aren’t sure on half the stuff!

The general consensus basically being “don’t trust what you’re reading on your abilities/talents/character screen” is just flat out idiotic. I bet Blizzard doesn’t even understand the math and would fall all over themselves if asked to explain how certain aspects works when character level, gear, stats, and instanced PvP all combine.

I fart in your general direction, Blizzard.

I checked Simulationcraft's spell query, and it says Execution Sentence has a 0.76 PvP multiplier. Obviously there's way more than that going on here though, because it seems like the PvE/dummy damage is realy what is busted. Maybe I have to dust of a pally alt and see if I can come up with a theory.

I know it’s a bit tougher to get now because this bracket’s not as busted as it has been at times... can’t remember the expansion, but I got it on a Frost Mage (when they had Ray of Frost at 15... literally globaling people if they couldn’t range you), Arcane Mage, Fury Warrior, Outlaw Rogue, Balance Druid, Resto Druid, Resto Shaman, Survival Hunter, Marks Hunter, Ret Pally, and god knows what else.

So the execution sentence thing is 100% a problem with the way it counts/multiplies damage done during the duration of the debuff specifically against target dummies. There is indeed a .76 PvP multiplier, but that's not really the big issue here. If I hit a dummy with execution sentence without doing any damage between when I cast and when it lands, it does damage equal to the tooltip. If you hit it with anything at all, it will add an insane amount of damage, seems like between 7-8x the amount done instead of the expected 0.2x. This happens with regular training dummies, raiders training dummies and PvP training dummies alike. Against normal PvE mobs, it does not exhibit this behavior and works as expected. Nevermind, it's also broken in PvE, but maybe not as much?

Last edited:
I know it’s a bit tougher to get now because this bracket’s not as busted as it has been at times... can’t remember the expansion, but I got it on a Frost Mage (when they had Ray of Frost at 15... literally globaling people if they couldn’t range you), Arcane Mage, Fury Warrior, Outlaw Rogue, Balance Druid, Resto Druid, Resto Shaman, Survival Hunter, Marks Hunter, Ret Pally, and god knows what else.
oh I got it on several toons, just didnt realize till like a week ago that I never got it on my f2P
When my sub is up again I'll heal bot you until you get it
problem is we tend to win too fast then, lol

So the execution sentence thing is 100% a problem with the way it counts/multiplies damage done during the duration of the debuff specifically against target dummies. There is indeed a .76 PvP multiplier, but that's not really the big issue here. If I hit a dummy with execution sentence without doing any damage between when I cast and when it lands, it does damage equal to the tooltip. If you hit it with anything at all, it will add an insane amount of damage, seems like between 7-8x the amount done instead of the expected 0.2x. This happens with regular training dummies, raiders training dummies and PvP training dummies alike. Against normal PvE mobs, it does not exhibit this behavior and works as expected.
Yep, my experience with it using rough numbers on the dummy is that it was doing almost 7-10x damage from abilities used between when you cast Execution Sentence and when it actually lands the damage... rather than the supposed 20%, lol.

On the topic of the many hidden and incorrect tooltip, I always thought WoW should it's own consolidate database with precise information.

Fellas like @Chops may remember The Arreat Summit and how it was a great place to search for Diablo2 info. Then again, WoW is a massive game and I am pretty sure a full team of arquivists would be require to compile all the ever-changing information.

Against normal PvE mobs, it does not exhibit this behavior and works as expected.

I dunno, I was doing all mine against PvE mobs and I noted the same that no extra damage resulted in exactly the tooltip but I got damage that was more than all my other damage combined when doing DPS in that 8 second window...

Not exactly "as expected"... (edit- or are you just saying it's just not calculating as broken against PvE?)
Yeah, on some WoD mobs i was doing like 1700-2000 with it (hard to not kill them before it lands sometimes).

Biggest was 2500, still way higher than it should be going off the toolltip. I'll check what it does with no bonus.

edit- lol.... exactly 459, like it said. So clearly it's a bonus damage issue.

lol, more than 1/2 my damage but only supposed to be using 20% of it... gg blizz.
zR4518z.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread