Elemental Shaman 79 BIS Gearing Guide by Tyntyn (ank)

ankertest

1. Introduction

First of all, it's not a guide aka "How to play" it's the guide aka "How to build". Elemental shaman provides one of the highest (if not highest) burst damage outputs on 79 lvl, and feels very very comfortable on BG's and duels.

2. Race

Draenei - hit chance increase, healing cd
Tauren - best survivability among all 3 other races, stun cd, hp increase
Orc - stun resist, blood fury cd (spell damage increase)
Troll - just berserk cd (haste increase), weakest race for ele (IMO)

For Horde you gotta chose Orc or Tauren, if you are planning to play ele+resto - chose Tauren, if ele+enha - chose Orc, if ele+ele - well it's up to you then :slight_smile:

3. BIS Gear/talents/glyphs/stats

https://eightyupgrades.com/set/nE7iSbd9jkQYQcBaQSUHn9

4% spell hit chance (3% for draenei) and 75 spell pen is mandatory, there is no point to go FULL PVE-HASTE (i mean there is, but in that case you gon be literally glass cannon and die real fast without res and good amount of hp), gemming for SP and balanced gear (which also include enough of haste itself) is the way to go.

4. Professions

Engineering (BIS), basically bcz of gogles which is BIS, also for rocket chant on gloves (extra burst damage), parachute, hyperspeed boots, bombs, trinket.
BS (second BIS IMO), you can go with JC if you want.

Last edited:
tbh id run something like 2/2/4 for max resilience, and then the 71 haste trinket from sholazar, and gem for full haste - i believe it'll end up somewhere like 400-500, which is fine

sounds like a better plan tbh
also, skolls is probably better

https://db.rising-gods.de/?profile=68367001 < apparently still had that flying around from 2 years ago :Okayge:
https://db.rising-gods.de/?profile=196424243 < redid it

apparently that database's bugging around wrt suffix, they're all supposed to be necromancer suffix and the latters missing suffix items are skolls and lostring (not sure whether its avail on classic already, on OG it wasn't a thing until t8)

edit: yeah ignore the redone one, that one's ass i didnt really think all that much about it
edit2: that build's also far heavier on resilience than haste apparently (must've given it some extra thought back then), you could also use a jc trinket in the frenzyheart's stead - might be a better plan after all, i honestly dont even fucking remember why i was so fixated on that trinket, it is quite bad after all despite giving you like a million haste (but nothing besides))

Last edited:
With six 79s at this moment, my ele shaman is my favorite. It is the most durable caster imo, and can handle 2, 3, 4 people at a time, and get away, while killing some of them. The shield is like having a priest shield all the time, plus you have a 10k shield every 21 seconds, and an area root every 10.5 seconds, with shocks every 3 seconds. With the Brutal glove you have the farthest reach in the game at 45 yards. Mana regen is not much of an issue with Water Shield and alchemy pots.

With Alchemy Flask of the North, here are my stats:
16507 hp
11802 mana
606 resi
13582 armor
1609 sp with totem
12.28% crit
349 mana regen
5.02% haste

I only have 12k kills right now, but it's my favorite. Here is my spec:
https://eightyupgrades.com/set/uE4yTt68HXaYkgUfnhLH9r

Last edited:
Do you have any videos of gameplay with the shammy? Looks insane! Do you by any chance have a kit for absolute max burst damage too? Wanting to make a replica of your setup but also have a max burst set.

Do you have any videos of gameplay with the shammy? Looks insane! Do you by any chance have a kit for absolute max burst damage too? Wanting to make a replica of your setup but also have a max burst set.
Yup, but it's more dealing with bots. Ele shaman is my favorite 79. Can deal with any class.

>

Bot problem is much better. On BG weekends it picks up some, but Blizz has been finally banning them. When I report a bunch, I get mail from Blizz stating they took action on the account which is nice.

Awesome, I'll start my shammy then. I've made this gearset I'm going for, to do absolute maximum burst damage possible. Any advice on it how to do higher burst/other advice? :) Wowhead gear
Bot problem is much better. On BG weekends it picks up some, but Blizz has been finally banning them. When I report a bunch, I get mail from Blizz stating they took action on the account which is nice.

Awesome, I'll start my shammy then. I've made this gearset I'm going for, to do absolute maximum burst damage possible. Any advice on it how to do higher burst/other advice? :) Wowhead gear
You've got way worse stats than the build this thread about, every single stat but Spell Power (you've got 150 spell power more than this build), tho for maximum burst damage you have to go full haste>spell power, in full pve gear setup aka glass cannon, also find ideal spell pen rating that works for you, i'd go atleast 75 (ideally 115-130). You dont need gnomish trinket btw.

I do love having max resilience, a shield, and shield totem. It makes you very hard to kill. And you have great burst every time Lava Burst refreshes. Went with alchemy for a little more SP using the flask.

I like your guide. I really appreciate the time and effort you invested for helping out beginners. The Theorycrafting part about gearing and stat prio is not that great thou. Epic gems for example are not even in the game right now that feeds into why BS is not a great profession either. And Chaotic Skyflare is BIS IMO. Shield enchant should be resil, too. I could go on but i want to gatekeep some knowledge so that people can theorycraft themselfs.
Greetings

Epic gems
it is BIS tho, i wouldn't do a guide for every single phase, it's unnecessary
Chaotic Skyflare
the reason i took earthsiege diamond is pretty simple, it gives more raw stat value than chaotic skyflare
Shield enchant should be resil
wrong, 12 res is literally nothing (0.3% dmg reduction? cmon), 18 stam (180 hp + with buffs it would scale to 200+) have way better value

appreciate your feedback tho

depends on how much resilience you've already got tbh since it's one of those stats that's scaling w/ itself
generally however unless you spamgem for it you'll be stuck at like 200-300 at which point you're probably quite right about it
(a build heavily focused on stacking resilience can reach something around 750-850 at which point its value is quite a bit higher, but ele shaman isn't one of those specs that can get away doing just that, unfortunately; besides as a purely defensive secondary set to swap to, ig)

@OP Fair about Gems beeing better in next phase but better does definitly not mean BIS. BS just sucks for ele unless your gear needs those extra sockets for spellpen or Hit or Meta activation at which point you just made wrong gearing decisions alltogehter. 46 SP flat increase from BS, might aswell go alchy for 47SP flask bonus and other bonuses. Can even go inscription which gives the most SP if you dont value stam and resil which gives the most amount of flat SP increase. I am not going to argue with you on the shield enchant decision your hit and spellpen choices are questionable too, at best.

You've got way worse stats than the build this thread about, every single stat but Spell Power (you've got 150 spell power more than this build), tho for maximum burst damage you have to go full haste>spell power, in full pve gear setup aka glass cannon, also find ideal spell pen rating that works for you, i'd go atleast 75 (ideally 115-130). You dont need gnomish trinket btw.
Ah thanks for the info!! I thought 150 spell power could be worth it to sacrifice some other stuff if I'm trying to get max 2-3 sec top dmg burst. Is it better to do haste for that? And re spell penetration, then I'd have to gem a lot for it right?

And re gnomish trinket, isn't it just that it has a 10sec cooldown after I use the gloves? So I get 1000+ dmg instant on the second lava burst maybe ish?

Ah thanks for the info!! I thought 150 spell power could be worth it to sacrifice some other stuff if I'm trying to get max 2-3 sec top dmg burst. Is it better to do haste for that? And re spell penetration, then I'd have to gem a lot for it right?

And re gnomish trinket, isn't it just that it has a 10sec cooldown after I use the gloves? So I get 1000+ dmg instant on the second lava burst maybe ish?
-you need to build around SWP gear mostly to maximize your burst potential, you need to gem in to spell pen(75 atleast)>spell power=haste, look up for gear with haste on it, fortunately there is a ton of gear with haste stat in SWP
-there will be more than enough sockets on SWP gear to get atleast 75 spell pen, and you'll be left with some extra sockets
-sadly, i cant explain properly why you shouldnt use gnomish trinket, but based on my personal experience crit is completely useless and the shared cooldown with hand rocket is pissing me off, any pve stat stick or proc trinket is a better choice IMO

Users who are viewing this thread