Destro lock questions

Im being told to stack as much mastery as possible for destro lock. However, doesn't this become bad at a certain diminishing returns threshold? And where is that threshold?

I'm at 16% mastery without gear and somewhere around 58% with gear. If the DR starts at 30% like the other stats aren't i making a mistake going to 58%?

idk I wen basic as shit and got the crit and increased crit damage meta gem.

Yeah this is pretty solid since chaos bolt always crits. And conflag critting for over 1 k (with flashover) is nice.

Im being told to stack as much mastery as possible for destro lock

I have one mastery stacked destro and one with random stats in my sig. Can't tell the difference between their overall effectiveness. Although I get bigger CB's on the mastery one at the cost of generating shards slower (less haste and crit).

Actually the one big noticeable difference is my warlock without the 3 piece heirloom bonus is a pain to play after a fight. Sometimes I have to open with drain life just to heal up. No one believes me but the hp regen makes a warlock less clunky imo. Disregard if you have a healbot or never soloQ.

Last edited:
Combined your destro lock threads into a single thread for your convenience

(and my sanity)
Excellent. Thanks.
[doublepost=1657947242,1657947098][/doublepost]I can’t make up my mind between stun reduction, casting speed, or increased crit meta gems.

casting speed

Seems garbo. Wowhead says it has a 45 second CD and only last 4 seconds. You think people just let you cast chaos bolts for free whenever you want? The amount of times you'll have to fake cast, cast a fear first to bait a kick, get stunned, get kicked or reposition in that 4 second window...a lot of them are going to be wasted.

Then there's hunters FD'ing your cast, knocks and it proccing as your target is already dead. Probably a million other scenarios too.

Last edited:
Im being told to stack as much mastery as possible for destro lock. However, doesn't this become bad at a certain diminishing returns threshold? And where is that threshold?

I'm at 16% mastery without gear and somewhere around 58% with gear. If the DR starts at 30% like the other stats aren't i making a mistake going to 58%?

The DR is 30 mastery points. Not 30% mastery.

Mastery is needlessly complicated to understand.

All you need to know for purposes of your question is that the DR starts at roughly 120 mastery rating (at level 20). If you have to ask, you probably do not have that much mastery.

Also general notice --- People, please stop talking about your mastery in terms of what percentage you have. Unless the people reading your message / post happen to play that particular spec, they will largely have zero idea what you are talking about. Talk about your mastery in terms of how much rating you have. Thank you, that is the end of my PSA.

the meta gem can proc exactly when u want and get u good speed on a bolt or 2, or it procs when you make healthstones or summon a pet. The 12 crit is not alot but its still nice, bigger bolts more crits is always nice, and a 5% stun resist is just as rng as the haste meta. You can go a million years without it proccing, or it procs on a dr warstomp you didnt really care about, or it procs on a full kidney and saves your life and ends theirs.

both are rng that can save you or it wont do anything. But you can always count on 12 crit.

Users who are viewing this thread