Defining metalcore bands in the modern "ERRA"

SYLOSIS just released a new song on the 11th. It wasn't even that long ago they released their latest album, Cycle of suffering, so I was quite surprised.

While they've been at it for years, they're also band that's undergone quite a few changes. I personally think they bring some fresh things recently, both in technical and rhythmic terms. I especially like the whole incorporation of the lo-fi feel, mid screams (which is seems to be the main thing), the cleans and clean-screams.

Josh, while being the incredible lead singer that he is, he is also an absolute beast on the guitar; but you already knew this since 2016 if you're onboard the Architects hype train. Josh playing lead guitar for SYLOSIS and Architects!

Not gonna lie, I've been smashing the replay button on this song a few times now!

Oh, the good old ERRA, I love their Impulse album but I am not into their new stuff, the reason for that is because they changed a lot, old ERRA used to have the perfect combinations of technical instrumentals, vocals and just a bit of melodic vocals that used to be the cherry on the top.
Now I feel like their songs lack the fast and technical instrumentals and have way too much melodic vocal, they are leaving the old metalcore behind and are approaching a new genre. I can see why they are doing that, they want to appeal to a broader audience and they are actually succeeding in doing so but I am not really a fan of their new style.

Tbh, that's how I feel bout most metalcore bands, even bands that used to stay true to their genre besides their success like Parkway Drive changed a lot in the last few years. I feel like the scene is much more focused on the profit and appealing to a broader audience than to playing what they like. Luckily there are less popular bands releasing songs that still appeal to me.

Last edited:
Oh, the good old ERRA, I love their Impulse album but I am not into their new stuff, the reason for that is because they changed a lot, old ERRA used to have the perfect combinations of technical instrumentals, vocals and just a bit of melodic vocals that used to be the cherry on the top.
Now I feel like their songs lack the fast and technical instrumentals and have way too much melodic vocal, they are leaving the old metalcore behind and are approaching a new genre. I can see why they are doing that, they want to appeal to a broader audience and they are actually succeeding in doing so but I am not really a fan of their new style.

Tbh, that's how I feel bout most metalcore bands, even bands that used to stay true to their genre besides their success like Parkway Drive changed a lot in the last few years. I feel like the scene is much more focused on the profit and appealing to a broader audience than to playing what they like. Luckily there are less popular bands releasing songs that still appeal to me.

Whenever there is change, you will always have 2 sides.

This is more true when talking on a band level. While it can be off-putting when one of your favorite bands changes their tunes, their old stuff is never going anywhere. You can hope they return to their roots and embrace what they're trying to do in the meanwhile. However, when you're a die-hard fan you usally go in whatever direction the band takes you.

As far as ERRA goes, I still think they're fine tuning, but they've definitely hit a sweet spot in terms of growing and appealing to their fanbase and while being a huge influencer on the scene at this time. I'm curious where their evolution and experimentation takes them and the genre.

Don't get me wrong, I liked their older stuff as well, but I absolutely love what they did with Neon for example.

Another personal example I have of that is with Of Mice And Men. I liked their old stuff, even watched them live as late as last year (just before Aaron took over on vocals), but I absolutely love their new stuff. I think Aaron is doing amazing work in the band as of right now.

With all of that said, you will always have free pickings in metalcore. The general, oldschool style of metalcore as a whole is still very much alive and you will still have both new and old bands playing it.

While on topic, throwback!

Users who are viewing this thread