Comp Crash - Visually showed - Anyone know?

Simple question.

Anyone seen this before, or anything that looks remarkably like it and know what it is?

15ft9c5.jpg

33l1lhf.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Only happens once when I start wow up, restart comp and it doesn't do it until the next day. Strange.

The screen freezes with them lines going up and down the screen (Staying in place), and after a bit the sound (if playing music) also freezes and everything pretty much stops.

PS: Sorry for the poor quality in the images, I lost the original ones I had taken with a digital camera and only had my phone at hand.

In advance, thanks

Could be a number of things. Most likely causes are; your video card drivers are corrupted or your video card has a fault, possibly its overheated and something has blown/'burnt'.

Ardent said:
Could be a number of things. Most likely causes are; your video card drivers are corrupted or your video card has a fault, possibly its overheated and something has blown/'burnt'.

What I find strange, is that it works after booting it up again without complaining. If anything was physically gone on the video card, or the motherboard, wouldn't it do it on repeat?

graphics card, probably caused by overheating and likely to get worse :(

If you drop your desktop resolution / colours / and particularly your monitor refresh rate down does it disappear?

If you're confident opening your case and fiddling, switch off and reseat your graphics card in the slot.

If your card has an onboard fan, make sure its working fine, free of dust and little bits of Jaxel fluff, spinning smoothly etc.

If its an NVIDIA 9x00 card with overclocked memory, then welcome to the club :)

EDIT: The smart arse sitting next to me at work says you should use screen wipes more.

It's Nvidia alright, but it's really old (so I'm not really that mad at it for crashing haha). I believe it was upgraded 3 years ago, and even back then it wasn't all that. It's a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT. I'm not about to comprimize my gaming experience to satisfy my graphic card. Then I'd rather have it burning! :D. My computer was recently dusted off, and it's been doing this for 1~ year, doesn't seem to get worse.

Just crashes, reboot and rinse repeat

It doesn't have an onboard cooling fan.

:) - Thanks for the replies,

It depends,if something has physically blown then yeah you would probably experience constant issues. If its just got too hot somewhere and some of the solder has melted resulting in a loose connection it might be more of an infrequent issue. You can do a number of tests just to eliminate different possibilities.

If you have another system somewhere plug your monitor into that just to rule out a monitor problem. (this is very unlikely the case and should probably be the last thing you try if nothing else finds the problem).

Check over your graphics card etc... for loose connections.

Take the side off your case, make sure its not too dusty, and get a desk fan blowing into it while your using it, if this solves it you have a heat problem.

If not your drivers might be corrupted so get new ones.

The only other thing I can think of is that your graphics cards AGP/PCI slot is dying.

@Ardent

I updated my drivers today, even though I've been using these even before the problem occured. I doubt it's a moniter problem since my computer is 3~ years older than my monitors.

It could be a heating problem, since it does get pretty hot. I recently replaced my power supply due to it overheating and pretty much had a melt down. I'll try to track down a fan, but I doubt it's heating issues. Why?:

This only occurs when the computer is cold, and freshly started. It happens ONLY in World of Warcraft, or when running a HD movie. Something that requires something of my computer. Usually crashes within 10 seconds - 5 minutes. A few times it doesn't happen until 5 - 20 minutes in. But it's 95% sure to happend (have experienced it not happening a few times).

I still wonder :)

lindenkron said:
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT

had the exact same card 2 years ago, mine lasted for a year with artifacts EVERYWHERE, screen riddled with tiny red dots and so on.

shitty card

tweedledum said:
had the exact same card 2 years ago, mine lasted for a year with artifacts EVERYWHERE, screen riddled with tiny red dots and so on.

shitty card

Considering they advice that you upgrade your computer every 18th(I think?) month, I don't think it's too shabby that this graphic card survived 3 years :)

you're lucky it lasted that long

just get a new hd5*** series radeon or one of the new nvidia cards, perhaps a psu as well

tweedledum said:
you're lucky it lasted that long

just get a new hd5*** series radeon or one of the new nvidia cards, perhaps a psu as well

Issue is I'd have to upgrade my motherboard as well then, and doing that I'd need new ram. To pull all this off, I'd need a larger power supply.. and then the hole idea of upgrading means I might as well buy an entire new comp :p

It looks like 10 different smurfs with motorcycles just decided to have an organized party on your computer screen

Users who are viewing this thread