Classic 60 "Twinks"

Sponsor

Achievement Hunting
Classic servers completely died off during TBC launch. Now that it has been out for over a month, has there been any interest in classic era level 60 "twinks"?

Are there any players that still actively play their 60s? If so, is there a realm where there is a persisting community? I'd love to get back on my 60 mage and finish gearing him.

Classic servers completely died off during TBC launch. Now that it has been out for over a month, has there been any interest in classic era level 60 "twinks"?

Are there any players that still actively play their 60s? If so, is there a realm where there is a persisting community? I'd love to get back on my 60 mage and finish gearing him.
I logged onto my classic 60 rogue and three people were in ogr. And that’s cross realm. classic is dead

From all I've gathered, it's essentially been entirely abandoned by all but a handful. I think it will eventually even out, but that really could be quite some time. TBC is still the "Hot new (old) thing", and until content has mostly been rolled out, I don't know if Classic draws many back.

On the other hand, I have to say I did anticipate a decent amount of people who had always preferred 60s to have stayed behind. People who never really cared for BC, or spent most of BC-WoTLK and such using 60 twinks. I'd imagine that number might not be large enough to do much without coordinating them all on 1-3 servers, though.

There is one guild that is still clearing raids but besides that vanilla era is dead.

Vanilla private servers survived for so long with 3-4k pops because they were free. Nostalrius survived the longest with 5k-10k pops because it was as true to the original vanilla as possible with no custom scripting.
Now that blizz took over Nostalrius' core, nerfed everything across the board by 30%, added layers, ruined items, added items, etc.. It's not favorable to the same people. Having to pay 15$ in order to play a changed game that they played for years untouched is another slap. Also, that same 15$ now gives you 3 versions of wow, so anyone that does pay is split between 3 pops.
TBC has everything vanilla had without the need for world buffs, and with nothing removed; only slightly scaled for xp gains.

Sadly I don't see blizz's version of classic living out the same lifestyle that vanilla private servers had, because it's not the same game.

60 twinks were in TBC and thru WOTLK or CATA until TBC was added to the basic game. prior to that 60 twinks got no XP if on a Van WOW capped account with no TBC expac, they were kings in the 51-60 AV bracket. where like 20's now in the 60-69 bracket BGs.

after years of complaints about the AV bracket, the x1-x0 AV bracket being seriously unfair. became even more obvious that 71-79 players had no chance vs 80s in 71-80 AV, later into WOTLK AV was made 51-59, 60-69, 70-79, and 80's only.
[doublepost=1625798185,1625797449][/doublepost]
Vanilla private servers survived for so long with 3-4k pops because they were free. Nostalrius survived the longest with 5k-10k pops because it was as true to the original vanilla as possible with no custom scripting.
Now that blizz took over Nostalrius' core, nerfed everything across the board by 30%, added layers, ruined items, added items, etc.. It's not favorable to the same people. Having to pay 15$ in order to play a changed game that they played for years untouched is another slap. Also, that same 15$ now gives you 3 versions of wow, so anyone that does pay is split between 3 pops.
TBC has everything vanilla had without the need for world buffs, and with nothing removed; only slightly scaled for xp gains.

Sadly I don't see blizz's version of classic living out the same lifestyle that vanilla private servers had, because it's not the same game.

nostralious (due to blizzard being to slow) (youtube vid on it) handed off program to the people that created elysium private server the one that was caught selling boosts, gear, gold, etc. for cash. as that server crashed due to corruption, one of the founders took the program along with names and players starting lightshope. it was pretty successful up to classic wow beta, many pre-quit not wanting to chance getting banned before classic. rumors had it thru donations, most volunteered to pay in something, pitch in, etc to keep server up, he made like $1.3 to 2 mil in the first year in a polite almost a reverse hostage situation, while keeping everyone happy

I am located on Windseeker classic era, which is merged with Ashkandi, Pagle, Westfall, and Mankirk.

From my understanding this is the ONLY realm cluster that remains active. The community there is very welcoming.

We cleared BWL yesterday night on Alliance. And from our guild's discord, it would appear that they clear every raid every week still. On the exception of Naxx.

This was a very pleasant surprise as I too thought classic era was completely dead.

Im conflicted, how does one consider himself a twink if he maxed the level cap in a certain expansion? Doesnt that make you just an average min-maxer with all the possible gear a certain patch/expansion can offer? To my knowledge atleast, twinking is making a smurf account and inject it with steroids that the average joe has no idea of.

Im conflicted, how does one consider himself a twink if he maxed the level cap in a certain expansion? Doesnt that make you just an average min-maxer with all the possible gear a certain patch/expansion can offer? To my knowledge atleast, twinking is making a smurf account and inject it with steroids that the average joe has no idea of.

That is indeed correct. I put quotation marks around the word since technically the max level in classic is 70, you are staying back at 60 on purpose. Up for debate though.

Broken record here but I repeat: vanilla private servers have been hosted and played on since like 2008. Population will pick back up in due time.

If I ever played Classic, my plan was to actually wait until the game was well considered over and done with (i.e. TBC release.)
And in fact, it may be the most enjoyable way to do it. After the guys racing through the content to see how fast they can clear everything are gone, who have spent the last 15 years studying every strategy and doing it on pservers...It will actually likely be more true to Vanilla, with a smaller base full of dedicated players.

Users who are viewing this thread