Buying a laptop

I know theres like a bajillion threads like these already, but all the replies given are like, build your own. I want a laptop though, so thats not really an option (I think). Besides, I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing it.

I am looking at toshibas, cause they seem like a good brand. Im looking at something like this, but I'm wondering if the extra money put in here would be worth it.

All I want is something that runs dalaran and such smoothly... my current one I get 10 fps in Dala with all my addons turned off. Same happens in WG, and even in WSG I'm lucky to get 25.

looking at some links from other threads, they seem really expensive here in Australia....

regarding the processors, I'm assuming that i7 is the highest? if not, what is?

I also wouldn't need any more than 640 GB, so if the only difference between two is the hard drive space, then I would take the one with less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just remember, all the links I've given are from Australian stores, so the price would also be in AUD.

Bansil said:
get a mac.

How about no.

compewter1.jpg

@builttokill

You're right, core i7 is currently the creme de la creme of mobile cpu's as we speak.

The notebooks you linked look pretty good, but the second looks overpriced, compared to the first. Especially when you can match it's screen size by hooking up a regular lcd when you're not on the run. That is, assuming you have one.

If you want to drop the price tag a little, you could check out this Asus. The lower clock speed doesn't matter as much as you'd think, you'll still be running games smoothly, and if it's needed, it'll automatically ramp up the number of cores in use, in addition to the clock frequency.(as will all of the notebooks.)

Macs are bad for WoW, i'm one right now. The fucking wireless keyboard doesn't allow me to push the alt key or any of the f1-12's. It sucks, but its nice for file sharing tbh :D (Plus my scoobie snacks don't fall into the keyboard as often compared to my PC laptop....which I still can't find :'( haha)

builtokill said:
I know theres like a bajillion threads like these already, but all the replies given are like, build your own. I want a laptop though, so thats not really an option (I think). Besides, I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing it.

I am looking at toshibas, cause they seem like a good brand. Im looking at something like this, but I'm wondering if the extra money put in here would be worth it.

All I want is something that runs dalaran and such smoothly... my current one I get 10 fps in Dala with all my addons turned off. Same happens in WG, and even in WSG I'm lucky to get 25.

looking at some links from other threads, they seem really expensive here in Australia....

regarding the processors, I'm assuming that i7 is the highest? if not, what is?

I also wouldn't need any more than 640 GB, so if the only difference between two is the hard drive space, then I would take the one with less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just remember, all the links I've given are from Australian stores, so the price would also be in AUD.

Get a HP imo, I paid about 1500 dollars for mine, and it runs WG and Dalaran without problems. Don't get a Mac.

builtokill said:
all the replies given are like, build your own..

whoever told you that is a retard.

tweedledum said:
How about no.

compewter1.jpg

@builttokill

You're right, core i7 is currently the creme de la creme of mobile cpu's as we speak.

The notebooks you linked look pretty good, but the second looks overpriced, compared to the first. Especially when you can match it's screen size by hooking up a regular lcd when you're not on the run. That is, assuming you have one.

If you want to drop the price tag a little, you could check out this Asus. The lower clock speed doesn't matter as much as you'd think, you'll still be running games smoothly, and if it's needed, it'll automatically ramp up the number of cores in use, in addition to the clock frequency.(as will all of the notebooks.)

Hmm... What does the quad core thing mean? Also, the battery life on that one is only up to two hours... I dunno if that's enough for me...

And I was never going to get a mac... Too complicated to get used to everything.

Edit: there's currently a sale on the second latop I linked, $200 off. Is it still not worth it?

@Ramune

diy laptops are in fact possible, but you won't save much cash, and it's a tad more time consuming aswell as complicated than building one into a tower.

@Builttokill

Quad core processors have four cores, it's as simple as that. If you don't need all the power it has to offer, it'll automatically reduce clock frequency and the amount of cores in use in order to generate less heat, and consume less power.

As far as battery life goes.. Two hours might not last, but there's always a possibility of upgrading your battery. The notebooks priced below 2k AUD both have six cell batteries. Odds are you won't be able to squeeze much more battery life out of a notebook packing that kind of hardware. The second notebook in your original post packs a 12 cell battery, but it's doubtful that the battery will last alot longer considering it's large display.

I've not owned a notebook in ages, so I don't know how far battery technology has advanced the past seven to eight years.

If you would like to investigate battery life and other solutions closer, I'd recommend heading over to tomshardware.co.uk forums.

tweedledum said:
@Ramune

diy laptops are in fact possible, but you won't save much cash, and it's a tad more time consuming aswell as complicated than building one into a tower.

@Builttokill

Quad core processors have four cores, it's as simple as that. If you don't need all the power it has to offer, it'll automatically reduce clock frequency and the amount of cores in use in order to generate less heat, and consume less power.

As far as battery life goes.. Two hours might not last, but there's always a possibility of upgrading your battery. The notebooks priced below 2k AUD both have six cell batteries. Odds are you won't be able to squeeze much more battery life out of a notebook packing that kind of hardware. The second notebook in your original post packs a 12 cell battery, but it's doubtful that the battery will last alot longer considering it's large display.

I've not owned a notebook in ages, so I don't know how far battery technology has advanced the past seven to eight years.

If you would like to investigate battery life and other solutions closer, I'd recommend heading over to tomshardware.co.uk forums.

So quad core means 4 times faster?

I think $2200 AUD is the most I would want to pay... Also, I wouldn't need any more than a 16 inch screen... I think I might go with the first one I linked, unless I can find a different one.

tweedledum said:
Not necessarily, there was a time where single cores would still outperform dual cores at different tasks. Efficiency also depends on software.

If these things catch your interest easily, clickity click: Multi-core processor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok, thanks for all your help so far. Is the i7 processor the equivalent of intel core 2 duo, or is that something different?

Forge your own computer with level 450 engineering.

Realize you hit create all out of natural reflexes after your done and not have mats for new shit.

Similar in some ways, different in more. The core i7 runs a completely new architecture, with 4 native processor cores, whereas the core 2 duo has 2x2 cores pasted together.

I would not suggest getting a toshiba I have had problems with them i currently upgraded to a Mac. You might ask me why? A) there is a very Slim Chance of getting a virus there are very few viruses out there for Mac. B) they last longer Ive had a Mac mini for 6 years and it runs better then my three year old toshiba latop and the mac mini was 500 dollars less. Only thing that i dont like about a Mac is that its not the best for gaming. My brand new macbook runs WoW great but there really arent very many new games that are compatible with Mac. And the other negative is i go to a boarding school and the HTTP tunneling software i was using on My windows PC doesnt work on mac and there is no alternative that i have found so i cant play WoW at school.

Gongshow said:
I would not suggest getting a toshiba I have had problems with them i currently upgraded to a Mac. You might ask me why? A) there is a very Slim Chance of getting a virus there are very few viruses out there for Mac. B) they last longer Ive had a Mac mini for 6 years and it runs better then my three year old toshiba latop and the mac mini was 500 dollars less. Only thing that i dont like about a Mac is that its not the best for gaming. My brand new macbook runs WoW great but there really arent very many new games that are compatible with Mac. And the other negative is i go to a boarding school and the HTTP tunneling software i was using on My windows PC doesnt work on mac and there is no alternative that i have found so i cant play WoW at school.

Sorry, not getting a mac.

Gongshow said:
Only thing that i dont like about a Mac is that its not the best for gaming. My brand new macbook runs WoW great but there really arent very many new games that are compatible with Mac.

bootcamp?

not many people that ever owned a mac will return to a winPC. i know ONE dude that switched back to a BSD system as his main machine...but he still uses a mac laptop. not only the hardware is powerful enough to run most games smoothly, you can switch to a windows system for gaming if you have to.

get a mac. at least try it out... just to see if the OS fits you.

Gongshow said:
and the HTTP tunneling software i was using on My windows PC doesnt work on mac and there is no alternative that i have found so i cant play WoW at school.

I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't use the HTTP protocol...

Users who are viewing this thread