BOA Shoulder question

Maj

OG
I know that there's plate and mail ones, that you can use before you can wear plate or mail. So my question is, what exactly are the restrictions on them? Can a mage use plate shoulders? Or only a class like warrior/pala who can ultimately use em?

Thanks for any help.

Maj

Sorry NT, but I don't understand your response. I have seen 19s with Valor shoulders and when I inspect them, they say plate. Obviously you aren't trained for plate at 19, so does that mean that a class that can never wear plate can equip them or not? I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out lol.

Confirmed- they are class-specific- so no, the mage cannot wear the plate BoA's and etc. so if your class can learn Mail or plate (IE paladins, hunters, warriors and shamans) but if you can't learn it, you can't wear it.

Not 100% true actually about "class specific." I understand your point Rayekk, just thought I'd rephrase it as it seems misleading. Warriors and Pallys I have seen with Shadowcraft, the rogue leather shoulders. I'm sure they could take a cloth version (but they wouldn't mind you.) Standard hierarchy of mail->leather->cloth. All mail users can wear mail/leather/cloth: all leather users can wear leather/cloth: all cloth users can wear cloth.

Windsor said:
Not 100% true actually about "class specific." I understand your point Rayekk, just thought I'd rephrase it as it seems misleading. Warriors and Pallys I have seen with Shadowcraft, the rogue leather shoulders. I'm sure they could take a cloth version (but they wouldn't mind you.) Standard hierarchy of mail->leather->cloth. All mail users can wear mail/leather/cloth: all leather users can wear leather/cloth: all cloth users can wear cloth.

Yep- you're right- I was naughty as assumed that people would make that connection- thanks for clarifying that!

Yeah on my current account I have the BOA Dreadmist Mantle, BOA Headmaster's charge, BOA Inherited insignia of the alliance, and BOA Discerning Eye of the Beast, that I pretty much send back and forth between my twinks as needed. I currently use em on all on toons who can, specifically my 16 Druid (gonna be a 19 FC), 10 Shammy (not sure if she's gonna be 19 or 29 yet), and my 29 Priest.

I was wondering about shoulders because I didn't know if I could use the Mail ones on my druid (for better armor) or if I had to go with the leather ones. As it turns out, I figured out I can look up the items using Atlas Loot on those specific characters and see what they provide at the level I am at. The mail ones (herods for example) are certainly Leather if its on a leather wearer at the time with the same armor value as any of the equivalent leather shoulders. Likewise I imagine the plate (valor, stockade, etc.) are mail to a warrior/paladin pre level 40.

Since already have "caster" shoulders (which pretty much cover me for any lock, mage, priest, druid, resto/elem shaman, holy paladin), my next pair will be a melee/hunter one, so probably the shadow craft or the WG PVP ones with resilience. The PVP ones are better Stamina which I prefer for my druid, but I am still a ton of Shards away (like 143). So I may just get the Shadowcraft in the meantime (since I have 40 Emblems and 0 Patience lol), OR get the hunter ones so I can use them on any hunter/shaman/paladin/warrior I want to go melee with, and just wait for the PVP leather ones to use on anything but my casters, which wouldn't want em anyway.

Maj said:
I was wondering about shoulders because I didn't know if I could use the Mail ones on my druid (for better armor) or if I had to go with the leather ones.....

The PVP ones are better Stamina which I prefer for my druid, but I am still a ton of Shards away (like 143). So I may just get the Shadowcraft in the meantime (since I have 40 Emblems and 0 Patience lol), OR get the hunter ones so I can use them on any hunter/shaman/paladin/warrior I want to go melee with, and just wait for the PVP leather ones to use on anything but my casters, which wouldn't want em anyway.

Just understand that the Mail Shoulders Will Not Work!!! for you Druid. You'll have to get the leather ones (the only real trade off is that the leather has spirit, and the mail has intelect, from what I can see on mine). :cool:

I see, so even though the mail ones (herod, elements, etc) are leather if a hunter or shaman gets them pre level 40, they cannot be equiped by a druid/rogue, because they can never wear mail? Can anyone who actually has a set of these confirm or deny whether a mail set of BOA shoulders, which is leather pre level 40, CANNOT be equiped by a druid or rogue (after all, when I use Atlas Loot to look up the Herod BOA shoulders on my 16 druid, they appear as leather)? Many thanks.

Maj said:
I see, so even though the mail ones (herod, elements, etc) are leather if a hunter or shaman gets them pre level 40, they cannot be equiped by a druid/rogue, because they can never wear mail.

That is correct sir!

Maj said:
Can anyone who actually has a set of these confirm or deny whether a mail set of BOA shoulders, which is leather pre level 40, CANNOT be equiped by a druid or rogue (after all, when I use Atlas Loot to look up the Herod BOA shoulders on my 16 druid, they appear as leather)? Many thanks.

I confirmed this with my leather (caster version) BoA shoulders, attempting to use them on my 61 Mage- if your class cannot learn to wear leather/mail/plate, then you cannot use leather/mail/plate BoA's.

If you like, I'll try it again with my mail versions (on my hunter) and try to use them on my Rogue twink (but I'm 99.9% sure it won't work).

Thank you Ray. I think the only discrepancy is that the leather ones are always leather, and as a mage can't wear leather, hence they cannot equip them. However, the mail ones technically are "leather" items pre-level 40 (they actually say "leather") as far as I can tell from my Atlas Loot linkage, which may or may not be reliable. So that's why I am not sure if a rogue/druid can equip them if the items are pre-level 40 "leather" items.

I'll do it when I get home this afternoon and post- it'll be sometime after 5:00 pm PST

And it's no problem at all! I'm happy that i have put my ump-teen BoA's to use outside of just killing stuff ;P

The only classes that it switches for:

Mail BoA can be worn by Hunters and Shamans since they get mail proficiency at lvl 40.

Plate BoA can be worn by Warriors and Paladins since they get plate proficiency at lvl 40.

Users who are viewing this thread