Arena Gear - Rogue

Jyabiu

Legend
I'm new to 39 community and I'm building a 39 rogue but I don't have time to level an 80 to grind BoA's. I was wondering if anyone has a list of the best in slot gear choices for a rogue focusing on arena play without the use of bind-on-account armor. Thanks for the help in advance

~Jyabiu

Jyabiu said:
I'm new to 39 community and I'm building a 39 rogue but I don't have time to level an 80 to grind BoA's. I was wondering if anyone has a list of the best in slot gear choices for a rogue focusing on arena play without the use of bind-on-account armor. Thanks for the help in advance

~Jyabiu

Find all the items that give the most stamina. Find all the enchants that give the most stamina. Combine those. Win.

Falaris said:
Find all the items that give the most stamina. Find all the enchants that give the most stamina. Combine those. Win.

Fal,

I've never been much of an arena player, preferring AB in the good 'ol days, and now WSG over arenas.

Based on every bit of advice you've given here, it seems stam (i.e., longevity and survivability) is better for rogues in arena (and WSG, from what I've seen) as twinks can't really be one-shot, and the the rogue's greatest strength in this new, "twink-only" world is locking down opponents.

Confirm/Deny?

(I'm looking to get alternative gear for my NF rogue to arena while waiting for WSG pops).

Sunblayde said:
Fal,

I've never been much of an arena player, preferring AB in the good 'ol days, and now WSG over arenas.

Based on every bit of advice you've given here, it seems stam (i.e., longevity and survivability) is better for rogues in arena (and WSG, from what I've seen) as twinks can't really be one-shot, and the the rogue's greatest strength in this new, "twink-only" world is locking down opponents.

Confirm/Deny?

(I'm looking to get alternative gear for my NF rogue to arena while waiting for WSG pops).

Yeah, youre right. It seems counterintuitive, since rogues are supposed to do nothing but DPS, but honestly rogues arent really a DPS class in the 39 bracket. Theyre a CC class that happens to put out a good amount of DPS. The thing is, rogues inherently do alot of damage due to mongoose procs, combined with the low energy cost of hemo. Combine that an easy route to gaining combo points, and youre going to put out a respectable amount of damage without even focusing on it.

Theres a couple trains of thought that people employ when they gear/spec their rogue. They either think 'Well if I spec/gear for more damage, I can kill my opponents faster, therefore needing less time CCing them', or 'I need to max out my stamina because a truly great 39 rogue has the ability to maintain DPS on one target while CCing another, and having multiple people focusing you means you need every bit of stamina at your disposal'. 2700-2800hp combined with evasion, vanish, and prep means you have ALOT of survivability against melee, and AGM/herb makes it pretty tough for even a 2nd person to finish you off before reinforcements arrive.

Jyabiu said:

~Jyabiu

Maybe you should check the 39 twink guides on this forum which has a 39 rogue guide in it with lots of info.

39 rogue guide

So just stacking stam = fail.

@Falaris,

In no way am I disagree-ing (disagring?) with you or saying your wrong, but are you sure I should just stack stamina? Won't my dps be similiar to an untwinked rogue? Say I don't have a healer, and my partner and I are counting on our dps to make up for lack of heals? If we have no healer and they have a healer, and our dps cannot keep up with their heals, won't they just slowly kill us off with our lack of heals and their constant hp replenishment? I have no idea, that is why I ask, it just seems a little odd to just think "more health, more hp, more stamina!" lol

~Jyabui

Jyabiu said:
@Falaris,

In no way am I disagree-ing (disagring?) with you or saying your wrong, but are you sure I should just stack stamina? Won't my dps be similiar to an untwinked rogue? Say I don't have a healer, and my partner and I are counting on our dps to make up for lack of heals? If we have no healer and they have a healer, and our dps cannot keep up with their heals, won't they just slowly kill us off with our lack of heals and their constant hp replenishment? I have no idea, that is why I ask, it just seems a little odd to just think "more health, more hp, more stamina!" lol

~Jyabui

Na, your DPS wont be close to an untwinked rogue. If nothing else you have a very overpowered mainhand (mallet) with mongoose on it. If youre naked with that weapon youre outdamaging a nontwink rogue. 39 isnt nearly as reliant on heals as 29/19. This is due almost solely to having access to heavy frostweave bandages. Even with a DoT on you 750 a tick for 2 ticks (i know i know, slightly less with the healing debuff this patch) is over half of almost any twinks HP, or more.

Again, it needs to be reiterated. To maximize effectiveness on a 39 rogue, you need to realize that youre not a DPS class. Youre a CC class that can do fairly strong DPS. Played properly rogue is the best class at 39 bar none. People can make all kinds of arguments for hunters, demo warlocks, or spellhance shamans, but at the end of a day no class combines the survivability, the dps, and most importantly the CC as a rogue.

Bebis said:

We're not proposing getting all stam gear and all stam enchants; just a wise balance of hit + stam (get to hit cap, then choose +12 stam to bracers over +24 AP, for example). Sub-2500 HP rogues get pummeled in a matter of seconds in every situation...I know, I just recently made gear changes and my effectiveness in game is undeniable.

Sunblayde said:
We're not proposing getting all stam gear and all stam enchants; just a wise balance of hit + stam (get to hit cap, then choose +12 stam to bracers over +24 AP, for example). Sub-2500 HP rogues get pummeled in a matter of seconds in every situation...I know, I just recently made gear changes and my effectiveness in game is undeniable.

Actually, I am suggesting get stamina everywhere you can heh. You can hit cap yourself with just a BoA chest and a comfortable leather hat, youre not actually sacrificing any stamina enchants anywhere. I use Branded Leather Bracers instead of 10 stam bracers, other than that I have max stam in most of my slots.

In my Experience it would actually better to make a somewhat balanced rogue. 2.5-2.7k hp with a stam lense should be enough for you if you know how to play rogue properly.

On my lock / pally if i see a 3.2k hp rogue, I simply snicker to myself and hope I get a better opponent next time. All stacking stam does is take away your burst, and replace it with not enough crit, not enough AP to actually benefiet when you are running 2's as double DPS.

I am glad a stam staked rogue with 400 AP works wherever you play, but competitively a rogue with 2.5k hp and 600-700 AP and 25% + crit wins games and makes more PRESSURE on healers.

Falaris said:
Actually, I am suggesting get stamina everywhere you can heh. You can hit cap yourself with just a BoA chest and a comfortable leather hat, youre not actually sacrificing any stamina enchants anywhere. I use Branded Leather Bracers instead of 10 stam bracers, other than that I have max stam in most of my slots.

I can't get boa gear, I have no high lvl main to get em or fund me.

Falaris said:

Well then; all I have to say to that is

:p

The World of Warcraft Armory - Moonblayde @ Deathwing - Profile

I'll need some other gear tweaks to be arena-ready, then. My current configuration seems to be working well in WSGs so far.

ALSO: What's your opinion on the Gem Studded belt? Some say it's a must, I'm indifferent, as I don't have any experience with it.

I have the pattern on Deathwing allaince, and I'm leveling an alt with leatherworking specifically to make it.

Sunblayde said:
Well then; all I have to say to that is

:p

The World of Warcraft Armory - Moonblayde @ Deathwing - Profile

I'll need some other gear tweaks to be arena-ready, then. My current configuration seems to be working well in WSGs so far.

ALSO: What's your opinion on the Gem Studded belt? Some say it's a must, I'm indifferent, as I don't have any experience with it.

I have the pattern on Deathwing allaince, and I'm leveling an alt with leatherworking specifically to make it.

Gem studded is 100% BIS for arena imo. That self heal has saved countless arena matches.

Also, if you can't get BOA, Get to the hit cap of 30. then start stacking Ap and crit. Professions are Herbing and either Engineering or Mining/Skinning.

Mortox said:
In my Experience it would actually better to make a somewhat balanced rogue. 2.5-2.7k hp with a stam lense should be enough for you if you know how to play rogue properly.

On my lock / pally if i see a 3.2k hp rogue, I simply snicker to myself and hope I get a better opponent next time. All stacking stam does is take away your burst, and replace it with not enough crit, not enough AP to actually benefiet when you are running 2's as double DPS.

I am glad a stam staked rogue with 400 AP works wherever you play, but competitively a rogue with 2.5k hp and 600-700 AP and 25% + crit wins games and makes more PRESSURE on healers.

I love how you try to imply that you play in competitive areas, whereas I dont. Ive played in the 2 most competitive battlegroups that the US has, and played for the best guild in both battlegroups. Also, not every person thinks about NOTHING but arena. Obviously GOOD rogues have every gearset imaginable. Typically its best to purely stack stam in battlegrounds, especially premades, and a balanced setup is better for a decent amount of arena setups at 39. However, the 'balanced' setup is only ideal when youre running double dps, for the situations where the rogue would be focused the pure stam setup is ideal there as well. The only reason its ok to not stack stam in the double dps scenarios is because it would be stupid for most teams to focus a 2500hp rogue with prep over another dps.

Falaris said:
I love how you try to imply that you play in competitive areas, whereas I dont. Ive played in the 2 most competitive battlegroups that the US has, and played for the best guild in both battlegroups. Also, not every person thinks about NOTHING but arena. Obviously GOOD rogues have every gearset imaginable. Typically its best to purely stack stam in battlegrounds, especially premades, and a balanced setup is better for a decent amount of arena setups at 39. However, the 'balanced' setup is only ideal when youre running double dps, for the situations where the rogue would be focused the pure stam setup is ideal there as well. The only reason its ok to not stack stam in the double dps scenarios is because it would be stupid for most teams to focus a 2500hp rogue with prep over another dps.

Were you making a point there ? It sounded like you just said exactly what we all did :confused: :confused: :confused:

Btw, a good rogue CANNOT be focused. At 39, if you want to get away, you will.

Mortox said:
Were you making a point there ? It sounded like you just said exactly what we all did :confused: :confused: :confused:

Btw, a good rogue CANNOT be focused. At 39, if you want to get away, you will.

Is english not your first language? You dont seem to be communicating your thoughts very well. You made it pretty clear in your first post that you felt that 2500 or so HP(then stacking crit/AP) was the overall best build for a rogue _period_, not differentiating between arenas and warsong at all. That clearly means the build you suggested is best for warsong gulch as well, and thats definitely not the case.

Users who are viewing this thread