Are the new Diminishing Returns actually working?

I read the announcement from a few months ago and the followup WoWhead guide about diminishing returns to secondary stats. Simply put, diminishing returns for secondary stats set in at 30%/39%/47%/54%/66% to lose 10%/20%/30%/40%/50% of the additional stacking.

While gearing up a 39, at one point I ended up with excessive mastery, at 116 yielding 72.6%, but the mastery-percentage-per-point didn't change. I stripped down my gear until I reached 14 mastery, 29.9%, and confirmed no diminishing returns. In both cases, each point of mastery added 0.42% mastery.

At first I thought it was because I got 24% mastery baseline, and maybe diminishing returns only covered the mastery provided by my gear. But at my top mastery, 72.6% meant I added 48.6% on top of my baseline, well into alleged diminishing returns territory.

Can others confirm or disconfirm if diminishing returns are showing up on your character sheet for mastery, or any secondary stat? Maybe the character sheet is wrong and actual numbers in a duel or a combat dummy will show the diminishing returns?

Not totally out of the question that something in the tooltips or the intended scaling is not actually working.

also I could imagine that maybe these DRs happen after a certain level?

also I could maybe imagine that spec based mastery bumps might effect mastery scaling as well?

dunno.

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/how-mastery-works-world-of-warcraft

Basically mastery has an intermediate "points" value between the rating and the percent, and that is what *should* determine diminishing returns (starting at 30/39/47 etc points)

If it worked like that, then the higher level of the character, the lower the diminishing returns set in. Maybe Blizzard set the diminishing returns based on endgame rating, so it doesn't affect lower level characters (another version of BankOne's idea that diminishing returns happen only after a certain character level).

If we can show no diminishing returns for a non-mastery secondary stat, then we'll be on to something.

I noticed the apparent lack of diminishing returns as well.

I believe the dimishing could be: (1) have a hidden level requirement; (2) or only activate when you have a certain number of stats that are easily achievable by max level, but hard for other levels.

I just tested a 24 (RIP 59s) that had a Hand of Edward the Odd, so I could see high haste numbers. Long story short (and I'm happy to share the numbers if someone wants them), diminishing returns is working exactly as intended for haste at level 24. So, I suspect the lack of diminishing returns (or something else I'm missing) only affects the mastery secondary stat.

If it worked like that, then the higher level of the character, the lower the diminishing returns set in.
No, that's not what it means. What it means is that the diminishing returns set in at the same amount of mastery rating for every class/spec, despite the very different mastery effects and scaling coefficients. The mastery "point" value scales with mastery rating the same as crit% scales with crit rating. Just like any other secondary stat, as level goes up, you need more rating to get the same effect, and also more rating to hit the DR threshold.

For example, at level 20 if you have 118 Mastery, that's ~30 mastery points, and that is when the diminishing returns should start, regardless of class or spec. If you were a resto shaman thats +90% mastery contribution from your gear (coefficient of 3). If you were instead a shadow priest it's only +15% mastery from your gear (coeficcient of 0.5). But that's still when the diminishing returns kick would kick in.

If you were level 29, that same 118 Mastery is now only ~22.7 mastery points, so you are no longer hitting the DR threshold

No, that's not what it means. What it means is that the diminishing returns set in at the same amount of mastery rating for every class/spec, despite the very different mastery effects and scaling coefficients. The mastery "point" value scales with mastery rating the same as crit% scales with crit rating. Just like any other secondary stat, as level goes up, you need more rating to get the same effect, and also more rating to hit the DR threshold.

For example, at level 20 if you have 118 Mastery, that's ~30 mastery points, and that is when the diminishing returns should start, regardless of class or spec. If you were a resto shaman thats +90% mastery contribution from your gear (coefficient of 3). If you were instead a shadow priest it's only +15% mastery from your gear (coeficcient of 0.5). But that's still when the diminishing returns kick would kick in.

If you were level 29, that same 118 Mastery is now only ~22.7 mastery points, so you are no longer hitting the DR threshold

That helps -- thank you! If a resto shaman's mastery percentage coefficient is 3, working backwards puts us at 90% mastery for a resto shaman before reaching the first tier of diminishing returns at 30 mastery points...does that sound right?

I know on 20 at least 3 crit rating is 1% crit until 30 when it becomes 4 same with haste. I didn't even know mastery had a dr on it considering every class gets a different amount based on spec.

I did further digging, and it seems the initial 24% mastery that resto shamans gain, doesn't count as part of the diminishing returns. I can't get my mastery high enough to test that. Does it hold true for other stats e.g. does baseline crit count for part of diminishing returns, or is that also held apart?

~4.48 Vers per 1%

so the first level (10%) diminishing returns should apply after 30x those values.

Ok... just cuz I'm not stephen hawking, you're saying that over ~130 vers it should take around 4.9 per 1% up from 4.5?

Cuz with the new neck that's a pretty achievable, semi-substantial reduction.

Ok... just cuz I'm not stephen hawking, you're saying that over ~130 vers it should take around 4.9 per 1% up from 4.5?

Cuz with the new neck that's a pretty achievable, semi-substantial reduction.

Correct arithmetic! Or pretty close. After 134 vers at level 20, we would need 5.0 vers to gain each additional 1% until the next tier of diminishing returns, etc. But if you're talking about battlegrounds and arenas, remember that going from level 20 to 29 reduces the impact of secondary stats. Instead of 134 vers to reach 30% vers, we would need 176 vers before hitting the first tier of diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread