Activision Blizzard CFO Fired

couldn't be more wrong. 9.4 million could pay the average salaries of 117 (give or take) game designers with an annual salary of around 80k

I'm not one to typically knock earnings of an employee if the company is growing in popularity and/or creative success. But with sub numbers lowering, I see these large payoffs as a loss in company assets that could have simply been alocated back into the company and/or the product. Instead it's building mansions. A lot of these big business men are well into their 40s and 50s and nearing retirement age. Most of them could give less of a shit if the company crumbles after they're out. Here's a documentary of a different company (Bungie) in their early years before they merged with Activision. They mention at the beginning they merged with activision, but you realize that most of the documentary is about before they did so. You can tell they cared much more about the craft of the game rather than big pay-offs. And when the game is REALLY good, it will obviously bring in enough profits as a result of that to pay the employees well whilst satisfying a fan-base and keeping the company alive for the long-term.

I'm all for capitalism, but this type of capitalism doesn't work for long for a business. They will die off like Enron, while the higher-ups reap the benefits and their workforce pays for the higher-ups' greedy decisions with job-loss.
Do these game designers have managers? Direction on what they are going to do? Would they work on WoW? Why are you paying them to design for a dying game?

Which game designers are you going to employ? Do you know of 117 designers up for a job?

117 people... the company has nearly 5000 employees... is this making a huge difference?

What happens to their salaries after the year runs out? Do we let them all go?

Sub numbers are dropping in retail WoW, but what about their other games? What about Overwatch? Hearthstone? Classic WoW? Do you really believe "they" will die off like Enron????

Do these game designers have managers?

If your talking about project leads, typically yes. If you're talking about contracted employees, blizzard typically likes to do work within their own company. So when you're hired, you're usually in full service of blizzard, no middle-man.

Direction on what they are going to do?

Depends on their skills, blizzard knows what they're looking for, and whatever skills that person may have is obviously on their resume and portfolio.

Would they work on WoW?

Many game designers will work on whatever they see is a good line of work. They are very adaptive to change in styles so long as they have the drive. Also this question is highly up to blizzard. But I'm surely in agreement that whatever revenue a game makes for blizzard should go back into the game rather than other games by the same company so long as they wish for it to proceed.

Why are you paying them to design for a dying game?

Dying as in losing subs. It's subjective. WoW still has PLENTY of leverage to keep itself afloat. It's simply being heavily mismanaged and directed.

Which game designers are you going to employ?

I will employ the ones who are qualified. I will also employ based on demand. I'm not saying there's a shortage of employment at Blizzard, but if it's a possibility, then yes.

Do you know of 117 designers up for a job?

The game industry is full of starving talent. Those who jump from company to company that lay off due to lack of need after a game is released and have no plans on another game/addition any time soon. Blizzard is one of the few companies that almost always has projects going, which is why it's typically sought-after because at many points in time it was stable.

117 people... the company has nearly 5000 employees... is this making a huge difference?

117 is a large difference. Remember that a huge chunk of Blizzard isn't even in creative design, but rather marketing, financials, etc. Also in terms of server upkeep, how many people managed Nostalrius? Like 10 at most? Correct me if I'm wrong. But if so, this sets a huge example. Obviously they weren't designing much, but they surely were able to satisfy a large playerbase and knew their needs.

What happens to their salaries after the year runs out?

For the specific instance of WoW, if they were to release content more often and not go through droughts, they surely would have more need for work.

Sub numbers are dropping in retail WoW, but what about their other games? What about Overwatch? Hearthstone? Classic WoW? Do you really believe "they" will die off like Enron????

Enron is an extreme example of greed, but an example nonetheless.

WoW is an appendage of Blizzard. If you lose too many appendages, you have no means of providing for yourself. If similar business practices are applied to their other games, they surely could. You also didn't bring up HotS and Diablo. They aren't doing to well either, whether it be financial income or backlash from customers.

As I said before in a previous post, some of you here are looking at the cold logistics of business that may or may not work, but are in the sole interest of revenue for the higher-ups and not the fanbase. My arguement is that Blizzard is not creating games for gamers, they're creating games to make money. If you create a good product, money revenue comes passively and both sides win. If you make a shitty, but "good enough" product that relies on micro transactions instead of implemented content that people are paying for monthly, you'll still get revenue but only for a set amount of time before the playerbase has had enough.

Incoming long post. TL;DR at the end.

The game industry is full of starving talent.

There's a lot in @Roboartist 's post I support, and rather than fill up a page with more "yeah, that", I want to unpack this one statement with which I disagree.

The game industry is full of starving people, not starving talent. I mean no disrespect to the people working themselves senseless to get the chance for their big break, but the game industry is like most industries -- full of starry-eyed people who want to be part of the dream, but who either can't or won't do what it takes to make it happen. Nothing wrong with that, but understand that finding top-tier talent really is that rare for companies like Blizzard, Microsoft, Google, etc. Plenty of great games and great entertainment in general have come from non-top talent, but we're talking about how established corporations find the people they need, and it's freakin' hard for them.

The WoW community as a whole and the twink subcommunity also face this issue. Let's talk about one of the fundamental conflicts within the twinking community, then extend that to WoW as a whole, and hopefully that will shed some light on why Blizzard makes some of the decisions it does.

Part of the twink community wants more games, and another part of the community wants better games. These two desires fundamentally conflict with each other. We cast our net wider and pick up more players who often start at the bottom of the heap, and we promote game information and experience that elevates the players who use it, which in turn pushes noncompetitive players out. This isn't intentionally "good" nor "bad", it's just how the conflicting process in the game works. The community wants (and needs) both approaches. But we very much can judge "good" and "bad" of how we and how Blizzard manage the results of this conflicting process.

When someone gets into a battleground and absolutely wrecks it, regardless of the reason, we ask hard questions about why that happened, and what (if anything) should be done about it. It doesn't matter if the player is amazing at PvP, uses exploited ilvl 180 gear, leverages questionable addons, or any other possible cause or combination. The fact is, one person wrecking a BG takes the game out of the hands of the other players in the battleground, and that experience ultimately drives players away. That's a design issue within WoW that Blizzard has yet to effectively address. Now, let's extend this to all of WoW.

What do you do when you make a gear-based game, but the majority of your playerbase doesn't take the time to understand the gearing system you developed? What do you do when you create a specific space to play the game a certain way, and then players arrive with conflicting reasons for playing there? What do you do when a minor part of your game (and PvP is minor, have no doubt) costs considerable resources to develop and maintain, but neglecting that part of the game aggravates a vocal minority of the playerbase who in turn can sour your other players? Many more examples abound, which bring us to this:

As I said before in a previous post, some of you here are looking at the cold logistics of business that may or may not work, but are in the sole interest of revenue for the higher-ups and not the fanbase. My arguement is that Blizzard is not creating games for gamers, they're creating games to make money. If you create a good product, money revenue comes passively and both sides win. If you make a shitty, but "good enough" product that relies on micro transactions instead of implemented content that people are paying for monthly, you'll still get revenue but only for a set amount of time before the playerbase has had enough.

While this is true, WoW has the particularly strong problem of a conflicting playerbase. A ton of people play this game, and some of Blizzard's design choices set them against each other such that fixing one problem can cause issues elsewhere. It's easy to say that chasing money can piss off the playerbase, and that Blizzard neglects its players to the risk of WoW's solvency, and I think few would argue with that. But WoW faces some long-term issues that they have yet to surmount, and the game is still dealing with the consequences of some design decisions that made sense at the time, but ended up eroding the game community.

TL;DR: The vast majority of us who play WoW don't actually excel at playing WoW, nor do we need to, to enjoy WoW. But because people enjoy the game in different ways, conflicts come up that Blizzard can't easily resolve without losing a significant number of players. Sure, Blizzard made some profit-oriented, questionable decisions for WoW. But much more frequently, Blizzard tries to grapple with how to feed and raise the hydra of a community it created.

conflicts come up that Blizzard can't easily resolve without losing a significant number of players. Sure, Blizzard made some profit-oriented, questionable decisions for WoW. But much more frequently, Blizzard tries to grapple with how to feed and raise the hydra of a community it created.

I know I'm replying to your TLDR, but I did read the rest of what you're saying. But I want to say that Blizzard makes changes that NOBODY ASKS FOR.

The argument below only pertains to wow.

Lootbox rng for pvp rewards rather than the previous system (that wasn't broken) where you could save up and buy your gear with no RNG involved? Sounds like a stupid decision to me, and it's not hard to realize it's flawed. They're hoping to keep players playing longer on a single toon to gear up and stay subbed. They do not realize that people actually don't mind having alts to gear and will play JUST AS LONG with more enjoyment if it means they can play more classes. Sadly the past few expansions have NOT been alt friendly unless you have no job and/or wasting all your spare hours to keep up.

Artifact grind? Nobody asked for this on either side of pve or pvp. Extra abilities should come from gear and base talents. All gear now is a stat stick with the constant need to climb ilvl patch by patch. Nobody remembers the name of items anymore, and only calls what they have by their ilvl. Gear has no appeal like it used to. Instead of saying "Oh he has nightfall!" "It's Oh he has a titanforged axe. (or probably won't even say it at all)"

The dumbing down of the game is not only making us feel like they think we're retarded, but also mindless cash cows who will keep playing no matter what.

None of these changes to the game are smart, because none of them understand the mindset of the player.

Also blizzard's removal of entire questlines in WoD and MoP for legendary cloaks/rings not only stripped them of their core storyline, but any incentive for people to go back and spend their month farming it. Instead, they created artificial scarcity to keep players farming it before the expansion was over for short term quarterly profit, rather than long-term sustainability. Taking content out of the game unless it's a gladiator mount/tabard/aotc is never smart, and even a spit in the face of those who made it.

On the otherhand, timewalking is a great new feature, but Blizzard is too arrogant to let the raids and dungeons be available all the time as alternate means of gearing/leveling. Not only does timewalking allow older content to be relevant still, it provides more content to play after you're possibly locked out of a different raid. And the fact that there's only 2 timewalking raids scaled is pathetic. I'm highly sure they can scale other raids and tweak a few numbers to make other renowned raids still available. When a new expansion is released, it makes all older work irrelevant, now what kind of design/business choice is that? They're essentially throwing away millions upon millions of dollars worth of content due to out-leveling.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I want to say that Blizzard makes changes that NOBODY ASKS FOR.

It's not enough to make changes that only the playerbase asks for. Beyond that, there are some changes that a community asks for that shouldn't be made, because the community doesn't generally understand why the game succeeds the way it does. As examples, WoW developers have specifically mentioned flying mounts and LFG/LFR as mistakes they wish they hadn't made, but can't undo.

Lootbox rng for pvp rewards rather than the previous system (that wasn't broken) where you could save up and buy your gear with no RNG involved? Sounds like a stupid decision to me, and it's not hard to realize it's flawed. They're hoping to keep players playing longer on a single toon to gear up and stay subbed.

I hate it too, but it's no different than the RNG of dungeon loot, a staple of WoW.

They do not realize that people actually don't mind having alts to gear and will play JUST AS LONG with more enjoyment if it means they can play more classes. Sadly the past few expansions have NOT been alt friendly unless you have no job and/or wasting all your spare hours to keep up.

I think we're in the minority on that one. I see more players complain about lack of content than the ability to play the same content in a different way.

Artifact grind? Nobody asked for this on either side of pve or pvp. Extra abilities should come from gear and base talents. All gear now is a stat stick with the constant need to climb ilvl patch by patch. Nobody remembers the name of items anymore, and only calls what they have by their ilvl. Gear has no appeal like it used to. Instead of saying "Oh he has nightfall!" "It's Oh he has a titanforged axe. (or probably won't even say it at all)"

The dumbing down of the game is not only making us feel like they think we're retarded, but also mindless cash cows who will keep playing no matter what.

This has been the case since WotLK, in my experience. How many times would someone post in trade chat, asking which of two pieces of gear were better? The typical WoW player had little idea about gearing long before Blizzard dumbed down the gear.

Also blizzard's removal of entire questlines in WoD and MoP for legendary cloaks/rings not only stripped them of their core storyline, but any incentive for people to go back and spend their month farming it. Instead, they created artificial scarcity to keep players farming it before the expansion was over for short term quarterly profit, rather than long-term sustainability. Taking content out of the game unless it's a gladiator mount/tabard/aotc is never smart, and even a spit in the face of those who made it.

There's a big difference between removing a questline that grandfathers a single piece of gear representing timely participation in an expansion, versus:

On the otherhand, timewalking is a great new feature, but Blizzard is too arrogant to let the raids and dungeons be available all the time as alternate means of gearing/leveling. Not only does timewalking allow older content to be relevant still, it provides more content to play after you're possibly locked out of a different raid. And the fact that there's only 2 timewalking raids scaled is pathetic. I'm highly sure they can scale other raids and tweak a few numbers to make other renowned raids still available. When a new expansion is released, it makes all older work irrelevant, now what kind of design/business choice is that? They're essentially throwing away millions upon millions of dollars worth of content due to out-leveling.

This. Timewalking additional old content is a great, missed opportunity for Blizzard. I get why they rotate it through windows of limited availability, but if Blizzard can do a halfhearted job scaling the world dragons once a year, adding more old dungeons and raids seems like a no brainer. And for crying out loud, how hard would it be to do timewalked battlegrounds? I mean, come on, Alterac Valley has been jumping up and down in the front row, waving its arms like a maniac FOR YEARS.

I don't like some of Blizzard's choices to gate or otherwise restrict their content, but I get why they do so, and I think it's effective in WoW and other games of theirs. Of much deeper concern (for WoW specifically) are the choices that Blizzard made that permanently changed how the WoW community interacts, but those were difficult calls.

As an example of a smashing success within WoW, I'd argue community channels are the single most important feature added in BfA, and possibly ever. There is NO WAY we would see this kind of twink renaissance going on in WoW without them, regardless of the deletion of PvP gear templates. Community chat channels opened up virtual doors between servers, and brought back levels of player collaboration unseen for years. If WoW finds a way to live for a few more years, community channels will have provided the foundation.

I think blizz's big problem is trying to figure out who they want to cater to. Seems alot of their problems stem from trying to appease the "max exp/honor/rep/gold per hour crowd" and the "willing to grind it out for little/no immediate reward"

AV is a prime example (and victim) of this. People griped about the honor/hour return on AV and people didn't like to play it. So they changed the mechanics, made it quicker aaaaaaaand it's still too long to appease the min/maxers and they destroyed the appeal for the rest of us.

Flying mounts and LFG and heirloom gear are the same. They speed up the process but because they remove the immersive experience of the process, it no longer feels like a journey but a chore. And because it feels like a chore, they try to speed it up even more. And because finishing the chores takes less time now, they stuff the game with more chores.

It's a cluster fuck of not knowing who their audience is, not deciding who they want it to be and refusing to commit one way or the other.

Though, if you miss the immersive grind, the challenge and journey... may I interest you in F2P twinking?

If yahoo doesn't lie.... Netflix hired that fired CFO.
Not a single day without job while some people here are professional unemployed!

It's a cluster fuck of not knowing who their audience is, not deciding who they want it to be and refusing to commit one way or the other.

I think they keep wanting to satisfy multiple audiences, which I believe they can (and have in the past), but they keep using a bolt-on approach that loses the wheels when players push the game.

Soapbox on!

My favorite example in BfA so far: if you play a resto shaman, unless you or someone you know in WoW just happened to catch the 8.1 patch notes, there's no way to know that Healing Surge gets a 20% PvP boost and Chain Heal gets a 50% PvP boost. Chain Heal has always been useless in PvP, and any time a resto shaman used it, everyone could assume they were a newbie. But thanks to this buff plus the new PvP talent Tidebringer, Chain Heal makes for one of the best heals resto shamans can use in battlegrounds.

Now, how the %#@$ is the average shaman supposed to know that? Just randomly mouse through the spell book every now and then in a battleground? There is NO indicator in the interface concerning any difference between how spells work in PvE and instanced PvP. To be sure, I'm glad Blizzard made the change, as it provides a meaningful choice in how to approach instanced PvP healing, but SOME sort of interface tip would go a long way to keep the game's workings transparent. And that's just one class and one spec.

But hey, one look at a character sheet or a battleground scoreboard shows how much effort goes into interface design in WoW. It pisses me off because to this day, WoW has by far the best interface control of any MMO I've ever seen. From focus targets to mouseovers to nuanced macros, the player options are amazing. It may take hours upon hours to figure out, refine, and troubleshoot, but it's that good. God forbid they spend a little time providing a few more visual options to clue players in on what the heck is going on. It took YEARS for them to get around to integrating OmniCC's countdown options into the interface.

Soapbox off.

If yahoo doesn't lie.... Netflix hired that fired CFO.

According to the video, he was most likely hired at Netflix before he was fired at Activision.

Of course I posted that the reason Activision fired him was because he was going to Netflix in this very thread but no one listens to the guy that actually knows :)

Of course I posted that the reason Activision fired him was because he was going to Netflix in this very thread but no one listens to the guy that actually knows :)

People don't usually get fired because they're leaving for another company. If they get fired it's usually A. They fucked up. B. They behave improperly. Chances are, either he made some major decisions that backfired or they needed to axe a scapegoat to impress their shareholders.

You don’t know anything about how it works with executives clearly. Both in the sense of getting fired and in the sense that one of the largest companies in the world doesn’t hire a cfo in one week. “chances are” he got let go because they found out he was leaving, because that’s what actually happened in this case. Happens daily in the busy world. Good for him for getting lucky. “Getting fired” doesn’t have the same meaning for execs as it goes for people such as yourself.

Activision Blizzard CFO was reportedly fired with severance of 9.4 million. Imagine how much more content Blizzard's games would have with that kind of money invested into the game. What a fucking joke..

Guys, I've read all of JBP's works and sifted through his 4,643,278,592 hours of online lectures, and I can, fundamentally speaking, tell you this: His words are constantly held out of context and must be studied laboriously and consistently in order to fully actualize him. The problem with the Western World these days is that the men are becoming untruthful and irresponsible, thus playing into the Jungian Archetype of the "Man-Child" like Peter Pan, which will eventually lead into the disintegration of masculinity and even purpose. This of course, will coincide, again, fundamentally speaking, in the destruction of all human life. Woman do not want a little boy who can't clean his room, or sort himself out, or become a hero of his own destiny. They want a man who can pick them up off of their feet, save them from the dangers of Post Modernism and Neo-Marxism, and vanquish the dragon. I know this to be true because I saw him three times on Joe Rogan's podcast, and Joe Rogan is the man of all men. He bow hunts, eats his own elk with avocado and jalapeno's, conquers his 'inner bitch' with kettlebell workouts and commentates on the UFC. If that's not a man, then please, rip my balls off right now and hand them to my lost forgotten father, Todd, who never could amount to the supreme hierarchical status of Professor Peterson. Now, I've never really had sex (other than the sin of masturbatory acts towards Online Amputee Pornography once or twice, of which took (and could continue to take) me farther away from my self-authoring goal of becoming fully responsible in my actions, thus making me a full fledged MAN!), but I envision that it's probably a sacred and completely respectful enterprise of which is holding out for me in the horizon. I mean, I still have time to find the love I know Peterson's rules can bring me, as I'm only 32, but as my great Internet Paternal Master claims: "The world is dark and full of chaos", so I must strive with every ounce of my being to steadfastly reach my objective. But because of my precious moral standard in following the rules of truth and responsibility from Peterson, I must refrain from having sex with the woman I will find for at least "4 dates" because that is the set truth to stop my internal/dark and evil desires to rape and do icky things that are not of value to God's (or JBP's) standards. Evil is within all of us, and we will never know our full capacity as men until we confront that evil, so I must punish myself with Big Boy Ham Spankies everyday until that evil withdraws out of me into a celestial and material form that, fundamentally speaking, will symbolize my previous inabilities to act as the man I wish I was. Yet, when I accomplish that remarkable feat, I know that I will find love (hopefully a love that is high in agreeableness, so that she can do whatever I want, and further make me appear as the Big Man Alpha of the relationship, so other Soy Boys will notice me when I walk with a 'straight, shoulders back' posture beside her through the Cheesecake Factory, and they will bow down to me in almighty fear as they should, for my teachings are superior and above all other Man-children!). And that love will be able to sustain my high intellect and masculine/responsible/truthful/non-corrupted/non-resentful self. It WILL happen if I just follow the teachings of "12 Rules for Life'", "Maps of Meaning", and the bounty of online wealth that has been presented here on the Internet to help strengthen my life. That is something that none of these bitter, resentful peasants on the YouTube comment section will ever understand because they are not equipped to be strong and defiant in the face of nihilistic self-doubt and personal turmoil. No. They will never understand. But I will! Ohhhhh, yes, I will! For my father claims so, and my father is my one true God. My... Sweet Daddy Peterson.

I must refrain from having sex with the woman I will find for at least "4 dates" because that is the set truth to stop my internal/dark and evil desires to rape and do icky things that are not of value to God's (or JBP's) standards.
light what

Users who are viewing this thread