A quote i tought i'd share.

Nesyla

Legend
Right so i got this quote in my mind from a long time, dont remember where i got it from, but i do belive that a lot can be learnt from it, so i tought i'd share and get your oppinion.

"Marco Aurelio decided to hire a slave and take him along when he was going to the roman square, this slave had just one thing to do, he had to keep whisper him in his ear 'you are just a man' wile everyone kept flattering him.

Share any tought you have !

\\\Camael///

sounds false

Here's a quote i wish to share. Not mine but many people on this site may relate to it.

'Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special peoples games, whether u win or lose you're still retarded.'

Your quote is botched. Here's the real version, paraphrased by me:

After the successful conquest of a nation, a Roman General was allowed to host a Triumph in Rome. The conquered enemy King rode before him, strapped to a rather unpleasant device that slowly strangled him to death as the parade progressed.

Thrown roses, cheers, hails of adoration, and so on, would accompany this parade.

The Conquering Hero had a crown of leaves held over his head during this parade. Into his ear, the slave holding the crown would whisper for the duration of the Triumph...

"Remember, you are Mortal."

earthpig said:
Your quote is botched. Here's the real version, paraphrased by me:

After the successful conquest of a nation, a Roman General was allowed to host a Triumph in Rome. The conquered enemy King rode before him, strapped to a rather unpleasant device that slowly strangled him to death as the parade progressed.

Thrown roses, cheers, hails of adoration, and so on, would accompany this parade.

The Conquering Hero had a crown of leaves held over his head during this parade. Into his ear, the slave holding the crown would whisper for the duration of the Triumph...

"Remember, you are Mortal."

That, does somehow not seem credible.

U prob heard that quote from the movie Law Abiding Citizen ........ odds are its false, but I would like to think its not...

Camael said:
That, does somehow not seem credible.

It certainly has a hint of legendary status, and can certainly be assume to have differed as 1900 years of time marched from the founding of Rome to the fall of the Eastern Empire.

Roman triumph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On the day of his triumph, the general wore regalia that identified him as near-divine or near-kingly. He rode in a chariot through the streets of Rome in unarmed procession with his army and the spoils of his war.

He may have been accompanied in his chariot by a slave holding a golden wreath above his head and constantly reminding the commander of his mortality by whispering into his ear.

The words that the slave is said to have used are not known, but suggestions include "Respice te, hominem te memento" ("Look behind you, remember you are only a man") and "Memento mori" ("Remember (that you are) mortal").

The idea that this man can be smart enough to worry about his mortality and not realize that the slave is just a man as he is, is idiotic.

Twinkzruz said:
The idea that this man can be smart enough to worry about his mortality and not realize that the slave is just a man as he is, is idiotic.

I'm with this guy.

If you need to HIRE someone, tell to you that you're a human being, you're beyond an idiot, and just want to spend money on useless BS.

Problem being that emperors back then were so powerful, and put on such a high pedestal that it was hard to stay grounded... hence why many rulers thought they were in direct connection with god - and so on. Having too much power is not good for anyone, hiring someone to remind you that you're just a mortal as well, might seem like an idiotic idea now, but this was some odd thousand years ago, and there were enough slaves and money to go around. I've had history teachers throughout the time telling this story as well - I'm pretty sure it's credible.

lindenkron said:
Problem being that emperors back then were so powerful, and put on such a high pedestal that it was hard to stay grounded... hence why many rulers thought they were in direct connection with god - and so on. Having too much power is not good for anyone, hiring someone to remind you that you're just a mortal as well, might seem like an idiotic idea now, but this was some odd thousand years ago, and there were enough slaves and money to go around. I've had history teachers throughout the time telling this story as well - I'm pretty sure it's credible.

uh, actually leaders only said they were god-like to justify their rule over the commoners and solidify their power. if any of them actually believed they were deities then they were mental, the smart ones used it as a way to avoid conflict....b/c they had the mandate of heaven, they could not be questioned by normal folks you see.

i fully doubt this story ever happened and think its more of an allegory or w/e, just trying to convey a point through a fictional story about remembering to be humble. which is a load of crap

From what I've heard from my fiancee about Romans, she's a Master of History (Roman and Greek) and Classics, it wouldn't surprise me if this were true... however it could easily be false as well. I'll have to ask her when I get home from work. Those Romans had some interesting relationships when it comes to Gods and Mortal men.

Here is a quote I have.

"Get over it."

If more people followed this quote there would be a lot less violence and chaos in this world.

Falkor said:
uh, actually leaders only said they were god-like to justify their rule over the commoners and solidify their power. if any of them actually believed they were deities then they were mental, the smart ones used it as a way to avoid conflict....b/c they had the mandate of heaven, they could not be questioned by normal folks you see.

i fully doubt this story ever happened and think its more of an allegory or w/e, just trying to convey a point through a fictional story about remembering to be humble. which is a load of crap

Why do you think judeo-christian monotheism was (and is) so popular as a state religion? It tells people that one all-powerful person is the natural order of things and that tribulation and suffering is neccessary for passage into heaven. Olaf the traitor used chtistianity as an effective way to unite the norsemen. Even in Iceland which was home to the first western democracy (primitive though it was) was only brought under Norweigan rule after the imposition of christianity.

Rivfader said:
Why do you think judeo-christian monotheism was (and is) so popular as a state religion? It tells people that one all-powerful person is the natural order of things and that tribulation and suffering is neccessary for passage into heaven. Olaf the traitor used chtistianity as an effective way to unite the norsemen. Even in Iceland which was home to the first western democracy (primitive though it was) was only brought under Norweigan rule after the imposition of christianity.

goes back all the way to mesopotamia where the priests were leaders b/c people were all superstitious n shit about the rivers flooding, fertility, etc and these geniuses come and say they can help FOR A PRICE. then kings had to claim they were demigods to supplant the priests w/o coming out and saying, "hey...religion is all horseshit people", which i really wish they would have done. i mean then you got egyptians, emperors doin the same thing, chinese japanese, popes...oldest scam in the books man.

ps athenians #1 republic/democracy worlde

pps
Taitaih said:
Those Romans had some interesting relationships when it came to orgies between mortal and mortal men.
qft

Users who are viewing this thread