80 Hunter - Grace of the Herald vs. H DBW

Dranem

Legend
Hey!

I just got H DBW on my hunter and I'm wondering if I should use it over Grace of the Herald for Battlegrounds.

Thank you

Hey!

Roll Grace of herald for the 200 agi on it, i wouldnt chance on proc from DBW, not worth it, even if its HC

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use DBW just because its awesome..

aye i like it for the proc even if its not really bis...especially awesome as a druid tho since its one of the only items that changes your appearance but doesnt take you out of form. flying as a vrykul or anything is legit

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll use DBW unless I really need to min/max. The proc is just too much fun and I can reforge some more mastery :)

By the way, while we're here... 1 Mastery vs. 1 Agility ?

1 agi, even at 80
its 2ap w/o buffs and ability/talent modifiers, plus crit and dodge

but yea, the damage is already so insane you'll be fine using dbw instead of grace for the looks

I'm going to do the math for some masteries tonight. The scaling is a bit broken at 80, so will not be the same as at 85

im not the mathimagician type but ill be shocked if you can find a class/spec where primaries arent always better regardless of lvl seeing as how they give 3 benefits (for agi - ap/crit/dodge, for int they give sp, mana, crit and doesnt int still increase regen w/ spirit? even for str you get ap and parry - plus SP for pallys) that scale with buffs and abilities/talents from one stat vs just one benefit from mastery

I'm going to do the math for some masteries tonight. The scaling is a bit broken at 80, so will not be the same as at 85

*Waits impatiently for the results*

By the way, I didn't want to create a new thread so I'll ask here:

Any suggestion for my hunter? Scope @ Tichondrius - Game Guide - World of Warcraft

I'm going for a glass canon pvp set (no wrathful/resil!)

I know I need: Bramblescar Bracers of the Windstorm (camping both AH and spamming chat), ap/crit head/shoulders enchants, blue legs from finishing Vash'jr quests and to drop LW and level insc to get the slightly superior shoulder enchants (compared to bracers enchant).

Anything else?

*Waits impatiently for the results*
Damnit, I've ended up making a massive spreadsheet, which took way longer than I thought it would. Results hopefully inc tomorrow, as soon as I have the co-efficients of each skill.

By the way, I didn't want to create a new thread so I'll ask here:

Any suggestion for my hunter? Scope @ Tichondrius - Game Guide - World of Warcraft

I'm going for a glass canon pvp set (no wrathful/resil!)

I know I need: Bramblescar Bracers of the Windstorm (camping both AH and spamming chat), ap/crit head/shoulders enchants, blue legs from finishing Vash'jr quests and to drop LW and level insc to get the slightly superior shoulder enchants (compared to bracers enchant).

Anything else?

Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft

277 bracers > Bramblescar ones.

LW is slightly inferior to inscription yes, but you lose the extra customization (resistances mostly).

Could also run with some t10 too. At least the helm, as the 3% crit damage with MM (given that you get careful aim) means guaranteed extra damage. Also, most of the ICC items are usually better, given that they actually have more agi (see the BiS thread, there is a MM set there).

Else, you're doing fairly well with gear. Perhaps skipping tuskarr's for 16 agi on boots? I figure if you're going glass cannon, extra damage > else. Hell, could run with this: Enchant Boots - Cat's Swiftness - Item - World of Warcraft if you still want the movement speed.

Thank you for the quick answer.

You are right about the bracers. I'll get thoses.

I was thinking of keeping leatherworking until MoP anyways (to see how things are), I will do so.
Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft Cata helm vs. T10H. I think Cata wins. BUT, the 2 pieces set bonus could be worth it. If we replace we replace the green windstorm pants, it look like this: Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft. Cata is still slightly ahead but it could be worth it for the set bonus (to be tested once I get it).

I'll reconsider my boots enchant as you said. I might just grab 3 pairs of boots with all three enchants as they are very easy to obtain.

I'm not really going mastery on my hunter anymore. I tried it out, and after talking to Zolt, we seem to agree it's just not very effective. My target is about 70% crit, 31% haste, and then the rest into mastery as a dump. I can get to 40% haste, I might do that instead. Not sure quite yet since I'm no where near geared/done yet. Mastery just is not that effective. Finally, I use Grace. Why? Because Kalytha's Locket is so much more sexier.

Your reforging is spot on. I'd consider switching to two axes because then you can add a titanium chain to one for disarms (which makes a big difference). You do lose some stats on the whole, but I find the disarm benefit is pretty huge. I would go for more haste than you already are. It's a pretty huge jump in DPS (when you go up 20% in haste) and mastery just is not as good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really going mastery on my hunter anymore. I tried it out, and after talking to Zolt, we seem to agree it's just not very effective. My target is about 70% crit, 31% haste, and then the rest into mastery as a dump. I can get to 40% haste, I might do that instead. Not sure quite yet since I'm no where near geared/done yet. Mastery just is not that effective. Finally, I use Grace. Why? Because Kalytha's Locket is so much more sexier.

Your reforging is spot on. I'd consider switching to two axes because then you can add a titanium chain to one for disarms (which makes a big difference). You do lose some stats on the whole, but I find the disarm benefit is pretty huge. I would go for more haste than you already are. It's a pretty huge jump in DPS (when you go up 20% in haste) and mastery just is not as good.

I'll try out an haste set up but I don't see how it can be better.
Anyways, would you mind linking your character?

Why 70% crit? Random number seems random. In PvP you'll be close to globaling someone with decent gear, and mastery only helps that burst (Careful aim provides 60% crit on high hp targets, which they are if there's a healer present). I'm still not seeing why 70% is the winning number. Haste is nice for MM, but assuming you play right, you shouldn't need a lot, as it's crit + mastery that provide the burst for the spec.

Item Comparison Tool - World of Warcraft

Axes are crap. Don't use them. Even with an enchant Berto's/Oathbinder is a better option (Oathbinder is BiS if you want a weapon chain, Berto's if you don't want to)

Just my comments.

Would you mind explaining why you fancy Careful Aim so much?

It provides 60% additionnal Crit Chance with Aimed Shot and Steady Shot on targets above 90% health.

You only get benefit when you open on a target with Aimed Shot. I almost always open with Chimera Shot, very rarely with Aimed Shot. It could be worth it to swap that loose point in Sick 'Em! to Careful Aim (since 2/2 would be a waste anyways, considering we run around with 70% crit). But yeah, it's not awesome.

P.S. What about Bombardement? I could see 20 Focus Multi Shots pomp a LOT of damage in BGs when horde is all stacked up (expecially with 80% mastery). I'll try it out, too.

@Splosion

Actually good point. I'd run a Titanium Chain on Oathbinder, just getting one is difficult. I'd definitely recommend titanium chain. I didn't think about using a 2H on a non-1Hr. I didn't really choose 70% crit as a random number. That's just where I am. I largely tried to reforge to get haste/crit and that's where I ended up.

I ended up not going with mastery because it just didn't seem that good in PvP. I can see why it's good in PvE with constant casting but in PvP I couldn't count on the damage so I didn't rely on it as much. Granted, due to my char not being done I didn't get to insanely high mastery ratings but it still just didn't see that good (I like damage I can predict for PvP).

@Dranem
It's because most people have healers and so most people sit above 90% for a good portion of an arena game or an encounter. It provides huge damage because of that. Also, if you have the option of opening with Aimed, I'd suggest doing it. Chimerae is good, obviously, but Aimed Shot is better >90%. I wouldn't use or rely on Multi Shots. You're breaking CC's etc. Keep in mind you choose talents based on the worst situation, not the best. IE, don't get a talent because it's good that one time, get a talent because when you're under pressure it's going to save you or because you're usually in that situation.

I used Zoltxo @ Kargath - Game Guide - World of Warcraft as my BiS armory (minus, I'd use titanium chain and swap around depending on the teams comp). 72% crit, 27.72% haste, 6% hit and still 15 mastery.

Users who are viewing this thread