EU+US [8.1.5] The ultimate F2P starter guide

I don't think light armor kits don't actually give you the armor. When you apply them your armor value doesn't actually go up

Holy shit, this is confirmed. I've enchanted my legs with Light Armor Kit and it does not work, only Medium Armor does, both give 1 armor.

Nice work!

I appreciate how "concise" most of your summaries are, so I'll try to keep my "additions" to a minimum... ;)

(...lowers her goggles and summons her "enchanted clipboard"...)

F2P (free-to-play) means having a Blizzard account without a subscription.
While technically true, you should probably mention that the XP-Off™ crowd generally uses the term "F2P" to refer exclusively to "Starter Edition" trial accounts (i.e., excluding VETs)... also the "Pure/Linked F2P" distinction is probably worth a stronger highlight.

Blizzard allows accounts to play for free up to level 20 with some further restrictions.
...might as well have "some further restrictions" linked to the official Blizzard™ Starter Edition article.

F2P accounts are restricted in many ways, directly and indirectly:
  • Gold capped at 10g
...you also aren't allowed to even sell an item if it could push you over that cap.

• Can't use/see/whisper Blizzard/RealID friends inside WoW
...this also excludes voice-chat.

• Can't use general/trade chat

...this also excludes custom (or addon) /channel messages.

• Can't join guilds
...even though it's obvious, this should probably be "Can't join (or create) guilds".

• Characters 10 levels above you will not see your /say messages
...those same characters also wouldn't see:
  • Your /party messages
  • The descriptions from any of your emotes

In addition:
  • You can't loot NPCs more than 10 levels above you
  • Environmental objects (portals, chests, etc.) to/in "high-level zones" are usually level-restricted
  • You can't participate in Pet Battles
  • You can't use any paid character servives (realm transfer, faction change, etc.)

These are pointers that you should absolutely know before you start your F2P adventure. Some of them are things you cannot re-do unless you create a new character, so I'll prioritize those with a different color.
  • You can invite other people into groups with your main: If you want to play with friends, all you need is one of you with a main that has an active subscription.
...there's also an community F2P addon that helps with this (and other things) for those without a "main".

https://xpoff.com/posts/1174838/

• There are other ways to get epic item upgrades: Some unique item drops and from chests I believe.
...chests are a "close, but not quite" situation:

If an item is only found in a particular "container", and that container happens to be a drop/reward that itself could otherwise "qualify" for a potential upgrade... then yes, transitivity would apply.​

Also, since Epic Upgrades can be such a big deal to new players, I'd suggest you find room somewhere to squeeze-in the excellent summary video made by our own resident Snarky Soccer-Dad, @Chops:

...and keep in mind that any "rules" regarding which items can qualify for Epic Upgrades are "imperfect"; there are multiple odd "exceptions".

The point of F2P is to dedicate to fun and what you want to do.
Given the context, I'm guessing you were going for something like: "The point of F2P is simply to have fun and do whatever you want to do." ;)

Revered is also easy to get. You can either do it by questing in the respective areas (which you will eventually do to farm epic upgrades) or you can buy the respective faction tabard and do dungeons. You can get a tremendous amount of reputation from dungeons.

Reputation also gives small discounts at vendors of the appropriate faction, which can enable you to make purchases that would otherwise exceed your gold cap (like a Thick Hide Pack, for example).

(...dispels her "enchanted clipboard"...)

That's all I've got time for today...

If my nitpicking has been helpful, let me know and I'll give your guide another gander sometime. If you instead found this to be incredibly annoying, feel free to direct any complaints to @necroaqua. :D

...this also excludes custom (or addon) /channel messages.

The F2P addon is the example of a custom channel that F2P can use ;)

...those same characters also wouldn't see:
  • Your /party messages
  • The descriptions from any of your emotes

I'd complete by the fact that they don't see the descriptions of your emotes and they don't hear the emote sounds for 80% of the emotes. Which ones? You'd have to find out by yourself ... I'm not gonna expose the remaining sounds we still have ;)

they sure can

inc fyre festival
its gon be supa lit

YqamS3Cd_o.jpeg
Fire festival has epic cloaks?

Oops... that one was supposed to be part of the "10 levels above" section. :oops:

I'd complete by the fact that they don't see the descriptions of your emotes and they don't hear the emote sounds for 80% of the emotes. Which ones? You'd have to find out by yourself ... I'm not gonna expose the remaining sounds we still have ;)
I never bothered to test it... but I'd just assumed that it was related to which emotes had sounds that were synced to character-animations.

Fire festival has epic cloaks?
Correct... also Epic Trinkets during Brewfest, Epic Rings during Hallow's End, and Epic Necklaces during Love is in the Air. :D

Oops... that one was supposed to be part of the "10 levels above" section. :oops:

I never bothered to test it... but I'd just assumed that it was related to which emotes had sounds that were synced to character-animations.

Correct... also Epic Trinkets during Brewfest, Epic Rings during Hallow's End, and Epic Necklaces during Love is in the Air. :D
Sweet! I haven't twinked since cata, I just made 5 vets, so I am very stoked! The cloaks drop from a dungeon boss that you queue for, or something along those lines?

Sweet! I haven't twinked since cata, I just made 5 vets, so I am very stoked! The cloaks drop from a dungeon boss that you queue for, or something along those lines?
Yes.

In previous years, these holiday epics haven't been impressive and are often worse than dungeon/satchel gear. But with the update to epics in 8.1.5 it's possible that that's changed. We'll see in the fire festival.

If they HAVE updated (which I think they will) then the staff that drops will also probably alleviate a bunch of peoples foamspittle grind. It will lack the vers but otherwise will be on par.

Is hoping for them to fix brewfest trinket procs a stretch?
So if I understand the problem correctly, the brewfest trinkets required level to equip was properly lowered, however the required level for the buff that the proc gives was never lowered. The melee trinket excepted.

So I wouldn't hold out too much hope. That said, if the ilvl is 32 this year, they'll be bis whether they proc or not.

@Chops which event drops the staff? Also, great video, and I've included your warrior guide too!

@Sin'dor so, can you use the addon for custom chats or not? I couldnt understand that bit and want to add to the guide! Also, thanks for all the rest, I've updated it all!

Last edited:
@Sin'dor so, can you use the addon for custom chats or not? I couldnt understand that bit and want to add to the guide! Also, thanks for all the rest, I've updated it all!
The F2P-addon has an integrated F2Pchat channel that works for everyone, but the "10 levels above" rule still applies when determining who actually sees your comments (just like /say).

Thanks for putting so much work into this! :)

These both work

Some enchants (like the ones that he listed) don't actually give you the stats they say they do. You can apply it fine, but it doesn't actually increase your armor. Compare your armor total with and without the cloak and you'll see it the enchant doesn't actually do anything

how do you know they work? add-on?

my rogue is be, the +1 agi to cloak and +1 agi to bracer does not add any agility. i tried +1 stam to bracer, it did not add any stamina to my player

Trivia!
F2Paddon just sends a whisper to everyone that also has the addon on your server at the same time. This is why it auto-adds people to friendlist. It’s just formatted in a way to appear as a channel. Iirc you could format it to also look as a guild chat.

The summer event drops the staff of a’hun (I think it’s called)
It's the Frostscythe of Lord Ahune... and just to be thorough, I whipped-up some filtered lists for all the holiday epics:

Midsummer Fire Festival - Epics

Brewfest - Epics

Hallow's End - Epics

Love is in The Air - Epics

I really shouldn't be this excited about seeing the holiday epics updated... but when you're rocking #ProtWithoutQuests, you gotta' take what you can get! :p

Trivia!
F2Paddon just sends a whisper to everyone that also has the addon on your server at the same time. This is why it auto-adds people to friendlist. It’s just formatted in a way to appear as a channel. Iirc you could format it to also look as a guild chat.
Ahhh... that explains it. So F2Ps really aren't able to use custom /channels, but the F2P-addon created a work-around to essentially "simulate" the functionality. Very cool!

...but if whispers are always a binary "you can or you can't" situation, what explains the "10 levels above" caveat for who sees the F2Pchat? :confused:

Last edited:
Ahhh... that explains it. So F2Ps can't use custom /channels, but the F2P-addon created a work-around to essentially "simulate" the functionality. Very cool!

...but if whispers are always a binary "you can or you can't" situation, what explains the "10 levels above" caveat for who sees the F2Pchat? :confused:

I have no idea. What I just said was from a post by Yasueh (the F2PAddon creator) a couple of years ago.

This little trivia may not be worth editing into the OP, though it's a minor extra trivia that may interest some (if they somehow don't know):
  • Retricted to 6 dungeons:
    • Deadmines
    • Ragefire Chasm
    • Shadowfang Keep
    • Wailing Caverns
    • Blackfathom Deeps
    • Stormwind Stockade
While F2Ps/20s can only queue for those dungeons, F2Ps/20s can enter Gnomeregan by walking into its instance entrance portals. Alliance can enter the instance located around here, while Hordes enter the instance through a engineer portal (engineering is not required to use) located at Grom'gol Base Camp in Northern Stranglethorn (and Hordes can get to that base through a blimp at Orgrimmar). It's a bit ironic that Horde players have an easier way to get to this Alliance-zone dungeon than Alliance players.

That said, while F2Ps/20s can enter Gnomeregan, nearly all of the items dropped there are not useable by F2Ps/20s, though F2Ps/20s (at least in the past if not in the present) were able to learn some transmogs from some gears dropped in there (like my 20 vet [or linked-F2P] some time ago was able to learn the transmog of Grubbis Paws from that plate-glove dropping off a boss kill).

[I haven't checked yet if scalings have affected this or not, so I don't know if this trivia is still relevant or not]
The only thing dropped there that F2Ps can and have used, specifically hunters, is the Standard Scope dropped from box of assorted parts within Gnomeregan. While Deadmines has those boxes, Standard Scope doesn't drop from there; it only drops from boxes in Gnomeregan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread